• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee's marathon sketches
1 1

314 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, malvin said:

I'm not understanding the train of thought.

Because an auction in the $14K to $15K range only moved by $200 in 2 days, the winner might not honour their bid?  and i the movement was higher it somehow means the winner is more likely to honour their bid?

Malvin

Fair question. Bidding on this piece shot up almost instantaneously when it was posted. Almost like there was some overheated bidding by 2 involved bidders. Then, it stopped cold. As though bidders were having second thoughts. I hope the bids are honored, of course, but if that price is really high for the artist ( and I do not know his market), that pattern would be something I would be cautious about. I see it sold for the $14,800.

Edited by Rick2you2

2 hours ago, Rick2you2 said:

Fair question. Bidding on this piece shot up almost instantaneously when it was posted. Almost like there was some overheated bidding by 2 involved bidders. Then, it stopped cold. As though bidders were having second thoughts. I hope the bids are honored, of course, but if that price is really high for the artist ( and I do not know his market), that pattern would be something I would be cautious about. I see it sold for the $14,800.

Bidding is certainly for the artist and character but not in totality. I would not look at the JSC auction and say that the price is based purely on his name and the character. A huge driver here is the fundraiser. I would presume that the early and heaving bidding is done by those who have a max bid in mind and are willing to chase the price up early to benefit the cause of the fundraiser. I would not see it as second thoughts (although possible in any auction scenario), rather more than one bidder pushing the price where they are willing to pay early (due to the fundraiser) than they might if it was not for charity (and getting is as cheap as possible being their primary motivation). 

50 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Bidding is certainly for the artist and character but not in totality. I would not look at the JSC auction and say that the price is based purely on his name and the character. A huge driver here is the fundraiser. I would presume that the early and heaving bidding is done by those who have a max bid in mind and are willing to chase the price up early to benefit the cause of the fundraiser. I would not see it as second thoughts (although possible in any auction scenario), rather more than one bidder pushing the price where they are willing to pay early (due to the fundraiser) than they might if it was not for charity (and getting is as cheap as possible being their primary motivation). 

I hope you are right. The bidding pattern just struck me as odd.

8 hours ago, comix4fun said:

Nice piece, but I am unfamiliar with the artist. 

Neither am I. But, I am curious whether there will be a halo effect because it is for Jim’s charity effort which drives the price up. I think I will try to research the pricing later.

59 minutes ago, Andahaion said:

Interesting wrinkle/clarification from Jim on the socials that the head sketches are unlikely to be published covers.  

Makes sense. 

When he posted the would be covers it was when they were all full figure drawings. When the type of drawing changed I expected the cover thing to change with it. 

Yeah, I'd imagine there are bidders out there who are under the impression all 60 will be covers.  The "head shots" he's posted so far, in my opinion, are pretty fantastic in their own right and I could see them published.  At any rate, hope they still go for a ton to help the shops.

32 minutes ago, joefixit2 said:

wonder if anyone who has already bid on head sketches is aware of this and not re-thinking.  

Well, the auctions for full sized figures mentioned, in their descriptions, "Image to be a future DC variant cover."

And the head or less than full figure auctions do not say anything about that. 

Saw this on FB

No photo description available.

Image may contain: text

Seems like a more prominent posting would be a good idea so that there is no confusion. He also says not likely which may mean some will be cover/some won't ... or maybe just not determined yet. In the end, the proceeds go to a good cause so I hope the bidding keeps going at the rate it has been. 

1 hour ago, stinkininkin said:

I'll be doing one of the guest artist pieces for this auction, and voting is currently taking place on what I will be drawing at Jim's Instagram page. Feel free to voice your druthers if you are so inclined!

Awesome! Full figure?