• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee's marathon sketches
1 1

314 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, stinkininkin said:

Thanks for the try man!

Should I have given Wolvie beard stubble? I'm second guessing myself now.  Maybe give the winner the option to customize! 

I think it looks fantastic as is... I may go back in when we get closer to the end... (BTW thanks for the info on that portacio page on twitter)

25 minutes ago, cloud cloddie said:

I’m gonna be happy with whatever money is raised, but come somebody explain the price to me on this one?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Batman-DC-Comics-Original-Art-By-DAVID-CHOE-watercolor/202983323564?hash=item2f42bfb7ac:g:myQAAOSw2uhescxd

FEC34C73-AE7B-46B8-A0F9-E35E84F2BB1C.jpeg

He seems to be a fine arts/street art guy so this is probably a comparative bargain to most of his work.

Edited by shady64

2 hours ago, shady64 said:

He seems to be a fine arts/street art guy so this is probably a comparative bargain to most of his work.

Yeah Choe phoned this one in, for sure, but he's an urban legend and certain prints can go for thousands.

So an original (uninspired as it is, imo) at $17k is not surprising.

image.thumb.png.becc73bafa2292c1c4c0a51532620c14.png

Here's how he "made" $200m.

David Choe Just Made $200 Million For Painting Facebook ...

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/david-choe-just-made-200-million-usd-for-painting-the-facebook-office/

Edited by vodou
typo

3 hours ago, vodou said:

Yeah Choe phoned this one in, for sure, but he's an urban legend and certain prints can go for thousands.

So an original (uninspired as it is, imo) at $17k is not surprising.

image.thumb.png.becc73bafa2292c1c4c0a51532620c14.png

Here's how he "made" $200m.

David Choe Just Made $200 Million For Painting Facebook ...

https://www.highsnobiety.com/p/david-choe-just-made-200-million-usd-for-painting-the-facebook-office/

He's been doing amazing work over the years but simply stopped selling anything over the last 10 years (absolutely zero need or desire to do so).  He's friends with Jim Lee and is doing this as a favor.  I agree its nowhere near on the level of what he's been up to but if you want to buy anything from him, this is basically it.  Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for 20K or 100K.

In this one instance that 0 feedback bidder could very well be from a very well-heeled collector that happens to be “slumming” on eBay.

Think of the Choe like Jim Lee getting Andy Warhol to do a Batman.

Way way back when, David started out as a wannabe comic artist. More like the  Comix guys than your run of the mill DC/Marvel sort. But that said, he was/is a huge comics nerd. 

A friend of mine who happens to be a colorist for Marvel now, introduced me to Dave at a Small Press Expo here in DC a bit over 20 years ago. Dave was there with his comic Slow Jams. Contrary to popular myth, he didn’t give them away. Anyhow, to keep this all related, Dave set up to do a commission each for my friend and I, for the princely sum of $100. I got my usual Deadman. My friend got his usual Batgirl. Dave has free reign. Both are still on CAF.

I sold mine just before Dave became super famous for the Facebook deal. I was simply offing all my old DM commissions, and had moved on. Rico still has his Batgirl. Both were through Dave’s super sardonic lens. The Deadman mentioned Johnny Depp. Not because he looks like him, but because a move of the same name had just come out with Depp. He was likely disappointed. Heh.  The Batgirl is more hilarious. Babs after Killing Joke. Everyone that saw it at the time was like, “that’s f’ed up”.

100% Choe.

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=375067

https://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryPiece.asp?Piece=202770

Edited by ESeffinga

On 5/6/2020 at 6:42 PM, stinkininkin said:

Here is the piece I drew for Jim's sketch charity (don't know why it looks a little fuzzy here). I had just re-read the Frank Miller Wolverine mini series, so I had Ninjas on the brain!  Bid high and bid often on ebay at chunkymonkey0000

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wolverine-X-men-Logan-Vs-Ninjas-Marvel-Comics-Original-Art-Sketch-SCOTT-WILLIAMS/202984170949?hash=item2f42cca5c5:g:iNoAAOSwvppes1YD

Wolverine charity color.jpg

Colorist Alex Sinclair will be coloring my piece LIVE on Instagram Live today at 11am/pst! Even better, he has generously agreed to print out a single edition artists proof to be included for the winning bidder of this original!

4 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

I sold mine just before Dave became super famous for the Facebook deal. I was simply offing all my old DM commissions, and had moved on. Rico still has his Batgirl. Both were through Dave’s super sardonic lens. The Deadman mentioned Johnny Depp. Not because he looks like him, but because a move of the same name had just come out with Depp. He was likely disappointed. Heh.  The Batgirl is more hilarious. Babs after Killing Joke. Everyone that saw it at the time was like, “that’s f’ed up”.

100% Choe.

Your friend's was the keeper and has got to be worth a mint if ever resold. Yours was super blah (imo) and an obvious dump when the theme wasn't your thing anymore. Maxing out return just a matter of luck, bad this time and in this case. But whatever. Your friend's awesome execution and funny too...while still being too sexy for DC publication (also awesome, Choe touch).

21 minutes ago, feder241 said:

The J. Scott Campbell Zatanna piece is back up on eBay. I guess the winner backed out. I'm not that familiar with eBay bidding, how can a winner back out of the winning bid??

By not paying.  Then they get a strike... 3 strikes and account closed, iirc.

Disappointed by all these non-paying winners.

1 minute ago, exitmusicblue said:

By not paying.  Then they get a strike... 3 strikes and account closed, iirc.

Disappointed by all these non-paying winners.

Agreed, thanks. I figured eBay would automatically charge the winner or something. They should ban after 1 strike. This is for charity fer chrissakes

49 minutes ago, feder241 said:

Agreed, thanks. I figured eBay would automatically charge the winner or something. They should ban after 1 strike. This is for charity fer chrissakes

These are weird times.  It's possible the winning bidder's financial situation had a big change soon after winning the auction.  Who knows. 

In a non-charity situation, this would definitely raise some eyebrows.  But the seller's motives are transparent so we should hope the piece will still do well.

3 hours ago, feder241 said:

The J. Scott Campbell Zatanna piece is back up on eBay. I guess the winner backed out. I'm not that familiar with eBay bidding, how can a winner back out of the winning bid??

as others said, not paying.

They can't make you pay.  They can kick you off ebay (or an unpaid item strike) but they can't make you pay.

Malvin