• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee's marathon sketches
1 1

314 posts in this topic

7 minutes ago, gojira said:

Well, to be honest I didn't pay for it. Jim and I hung out a little back then and he wanted to draw something for me so I asked for Batgirl.

That makes it all the more special to you, I’m sure. Jim has always come across as one of the truly good guys in the industry and it’s great you have a piece like this to remind you of the times you hung out together. 

3 hours ago, ESeffinga said:

Doesn’t that pose problems for the auctions took place after the covers announcement was made? Potentially anyway. Bidders not getting what was described or something...

Legally, it can be. One question is whether the statement was authorized or binding on DC. Another is whether a change in circumstances,  allows DC to get off the hook. 

23 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

Legally, it can be. One question is whether the statement was authorized or binding on DC. Another is whether a change in circumstances,  allows DC to get off the hook. 

I think the recent DC layoffs and Jim Lee's change in position would qualify as a change in circumstance.

Malvin

39 minutes ago, Rick2you2 said:

14 minutes ago, malvin said:

I think the recent DC layoffs and Jim Lee's change in position would qualify as a change in circumstance.

Malvin

Chinooked!

Since there wasn't a specified deadline for publication, I don't see a real problem.  DC isn't going to start publishing comics without covers, right ??  So unless there's a specific "no more Jim Lee covers" rule, why couldn't a marathon piece be used as a cover in the future ??  And these were supposed to be variant covers, right ??  Is there a "no more variant covers rule" ??

Edited by Will_K

1 hour ago, malvin said:

Malvin

Not necessarily. Layoffs happen, and the law doesn’t allow one to create a change in circumstances and then rely on the change to get out of a commitment. It would have to be unforeseeable at the gitgo. Also, companies can be bound by the actions of prior executives. I question whether the promise was legally binding to begin with. Was it too vague to be enforceable, or did it lack any reciprocal action or inaction (also known as consideration) resulting in a bid and win?