• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee's marathon sketches
1 1

314 posts in this topic

I'm not really a fan but I can understand why people love, love, love Jim Lee.  And I like his work for DC more than the Marvel stuff.

I think it's interesting to see artists do something that is out of their (and/or the fans') comfort zone.  For all I know if he ever has free time, maybe Jim Lee likes painting landscapes.

What do comic book artists do "just for themselves" that noone ever really sees ?

14 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

What is the general consensus towards the current experimental sketches compared to the earlier inked sketches? As well, is he also publishing these watercolor, mixed media, ... sketches?

Jim Lee drawn Alex Ross painted Batman Superman for Wizard all those years ago was cool.

Edited by littledoom

15 hours ago, Captain Canuck said:

What is the general consensus towards the current experimental sketches compared to the earlier inked sketches? As well, is he also publishing these watercolor, mixed media, ... sketches?

I love seeing them. So many of these guys have amazing talent beyond pen and ink, so I appreciate them getting to show those skills off. 

5 hours ago, Will_K said:

I think it's interesting to see artists do something that is out of their (and/or the fans') comfort zone.  

Heritage just listed some art by Jack Davis—a Confederate Civil War General. I think a set of 4 of his generals sold for about $4,300.00 a while ago. This one will probably sell for the same as a bucket of warm spit.

On 6/22/2020 at 10:24 AM, Keys_Collector said:

This is really something (from http://www.statueforum.com/showpost.php?p=5846465&postcount=4)

$381,361.78 TOTAL JIM LEE ART

$184,626.44 TOTAL OTHER ARTIST CONTRIBUTIONS

$565,988.22 GRAND TOTAL OF AUCTIONS

$537,688.81 TOTAL RAISED FOR COMIC SHOPS!

$9,778.51 - AVERAGE AUCTION RESULT (JIM LEE ART)

I just updated - the data was not current:

$464,713.78 TOTAL JIM LEE ART

$231,583.44 TOTAL OTHER ARTIST CONTRIBUTIONS

$696,297.22 GRAND TOTAL OF AUCTIONS

$661,482.36 TOTAL RAISED FOR COMIC SHOPS!

$10,102.47 - AVERAGE AUCTION RESULT (JIM LEE ART)

The money itself is great; I imagine this is just as impactful from a morale-boosting standpoint.  Nothing says "we care" like close to a million raised by artists and collectors.

@stinkininkin Any chance we could get the film studios to match the funds raised?  Drop in the bucket for them I'd wager, and hand-in-hand with a good cause, would be a very on-brand PR win.

Now that the marathon is over, I was just wondering if anyone had any wrap up thoughts.

As for me, I think the number of Batman-related images may have been good for attracting $, but it got dull after a while. I also liked his earlier pieces of a more traditional nature than his experimental ones or head shots. I think he may have gotten tired near the end. I sure would have been. How he cranked out work of that caliber so quickly, while still doing other work, is impressive as hell.

I also confess my amazement at the amounts so many people would spend for his commission work; but by this time, I should have gotten used to it. With that said, I am happy he did not do a Phantom Stranger since it would have been out of my spending range for this material.

And, he is a really nice guy. I had sent him a few emails and he responded directly, or indirectly, through things he posted. If anyone is wondering, his screen name of Chunky Monkey has nothing to do with the Ben and Jerry’s ice cream flavor. He just liked the way it sounded.

Jim Lee's still got 10 more to go.  However, it looks like #50 was the last of the watercolors.

Maybe someone will ask him to do a Phantom Stranger just to mess with you.

I'd be bored doing all the Batman variants.  But you have to assume he generally likes drawing Batman.  Anyway, if you draw even a single issue of Batman, you better not get bored drawing Batman.

On one hand, I'm amazed at the dollars being paid for the art.  As stated, some were destined for publication but some weren't.  On the other hand, it looks like the market has been able to absorb quite a lot of Jim Lee art over the years.  And Albert's pricing indicates it can absorb a lot more.

1 hour ago, Will_K said:

Jim Lee's still got 10 more to go.  However, it looks like #50 was the last of the watercolors.

I'd be bored doing all the Batman variants.  But you have to assume he generally likes drawing Batman.  Anyway, if you draw even a single issue of Batman, you better not get bored drawing Batman.

On one hand, I'm amazed at the dollars being paid for the art.  As stated, some were destined for publication but some weren't.  On the other hand, it looks like the market has been able to absorb quite a lot of Jim Lee art over the years.  And Albert's pricing indicates it can absorb a lot more.

You can write these off on your taxes which you can not with his regular commissions or pinups. That is a BIG reason so many have gone so high.

53 minutes ago, Brian Peck said:
2 hours ago, Will_K said:

You can write these off on your taxes which you can not with his regular commissions or pinups. That is a BIG reason so many have gone so high.

In any case, I hope people consulted their tax accountants.  But those ~ $20K covers that Albert is selling aren't deductible, it seems the Jim Lee market can absorb a lot.

Edited by Will_K

1 hour ago, Will_K said:

it seems the Jim Lee market can absorb a lot.

That was one thing that struck me mid-way through these auctions.  It has to be a really strange (but liberating) position to be in when you're one of the handful of artists who've reached this tier: knowing that if you ever need to, you basically have the ability to print money.

Yes, it was all for a good cause, but it's amazing how much he's single-handedly raised here.

10 hours ago, Brian Peck said:

Anyone who writes these off on their taxes is making a mistake which they may get called out on. The only portion which could be written off is the difference between the fair market value of the piece and the price paid. If Lee's market price is now the same as these sales prices, no write-off is permitted. On the other hand, the IRS has to catch it.

11 hours ago, Will_K said:

I would be honored to have been so highly thought of. 

And if he did a "New 52" version of the costume, I wouldn't be that interested anyway.