• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Lee's marathon sketches
1 1

314 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, DeadpoolJr. said:

Deadman piece is currently a very good deal since the description says it will be published as a future cover.

I had a random thought but what if,  Jim and DC could raise more money with these sketches by collecting them into a limited print run pin-up book after they're all completed? A lot of these drawings are great and  while I'm sure a lot of people would love to have one not many can afford to drop 5 figures on a piece of art so having a them all published will be a great cost effective way for more people who want to donate or simply like the drawings but can't afford it. More money can be raised and it makes all the pieces published which might be able to help drive up their prices. Just a thought.

That has been part of the plan all along. I mentioned it earlier on this thread.

I agree about the Deadman “sketch”, but I won’t spend that sort of money for OA (with 1 possible exception).

Edited by Rick2you2

The Deadman is my favorite so far.  I don't really have an affinity for the characters (versions) in any of the previous postings.  And I'm not that big a fan of overly muscular figures.  Lee's Deadman captures the character and he's not bulky.  The loose-fitting costume emphasizes the decay, closer to Carmine Infantino's original depiction.  It's a good in-between interpretation between Neal Adams and the very rotted Kelley Jones or Alex Ross versions.

Jim post a Sketch of Phantasm by Rafael Albuquerque,
current bid is $ 3,050.00
Do you guys thinks that some people (eager bidder)
made a mistake, an believe this piece was created by Jim Lee?

Because this a very strong price for a Rafael sketch...

s-l1600.jpg

16 minutes ago, MagnusX said:

Jim post a Sketch of Phantasm by Rafael Albuquerque,
current bid is $ 3,050.00

s-l1600.jpg

I dunno what Raf's normal art rates are, but I'd say it's a combination of two things: 1) it's for a charity so people are more giving, 2) it's Phantasm, I think it's a very popular character that fans of the 90s don't see enough of.  It looks like a great piece to me.

3 hours ago, MagnusX said:

Probably. He posted a pic on his Instagram, and there’re a ridiculous amount of comments complimenting Jim on it, even tho he clearly stated in the post it was Rafael’s. People don’t read. :juggle:

On 4/8/2020 at 5:07 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I don’t think Jim gets a deduction, beyond the cost of ink, pencils and paper. 

Yep. I learned some years ago when looking into the tax deduction rules for artwork that artists specifically can only deduct the cost of materials used when they donate art, and not a portion of FMV. 

On 4/13/2020 at 12:14 AM, delekkerste said:

Yep. I learned some years ago when looking into the tax deduction rules for artwork that artists specifically can only deduct the cost of materials used when they donate art, and not a portion of FMV. 

That is the general rule with all services donations (with mileage on your car). 

Jim is really running with the non Bat-family stuff - seems like he is really enjoying these requests. 

Additional artists continue to pitch in for the cause - see below and I expect this list to continue to grow

Art Adams 
Bryan Hitch
Ivan Reis
Rafael Alburquerque
J Scott Campbell
Ron Garney
Art Adams, part duex
Joe Bennett
Tony Daniels

5 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Jim is really running with the non Bat-family stuff - seems like he is really enjoying these requests. 

Additional artists continue to pitch in for the cause - see below and I expect this list to continue to grow

Art Adams 
Bryan Hitch
Ivan Reis
Rafael Alburquerque
J Scott Campbell
Ron Garney
Art Adams, part duex
Joe Bennett
Tony Daniels

I have been on Art Adams list for a few years (5 or so) and was hoping this might be the time he did his commissions but alas it does not seem so.

Same with JH Williams III, he is doing a commission on twitter but not his old list (I might be the only one still on it). He did say in his thread that he will get to it someday, which is good for me but obviously I want it now!

#creators4comics on twitter has some nice things, you bid in the thread and they end 4/20

Edited by Bird
I said tit by mistake. didn't realize we could say that...tit!

1 minute ago, Bird said:

I have been on Art Adams list for a few years (5 or so) and was hoping this might be the time he did his commissions but alas it does not seem so.

Same with JH Williams III, he is doing a commission on twitter but not his old list (I might be the only one still on it). He did say in his thread that he will get to tit someday, which is good for me but obviously I want it now!

#creators4comics on twitter has some nice things, you bid in the thread and they end 4/20

Yep - I am waiting on Art as well - maybe 4 years

Lots of artists pitching in - love the ground swell resulting from Jim Lee's huge commitment to the comic shops.

8 minutes ago, JadeGiant said:

Yep - I am waiting on Art as well - maybe 4 years

I got on his list in San Diego......in 2006. 

lol 

To be honest it's a complicated commission, and he doesn't take any money upfront....which actually sucks because for my idea I could have afforded his rates then but probably can't now. 

Whenever we see each other I mention it or he mentions it, and we laugh........we have a mutual white whale.

Just now, comix4fun said:

I got on his list in San Diego......in 2006. 

lol 

To be honest it's a complicated commission, and he doesn't take any money upfront....which actually sucks because for my idea I could have afforded his rates then but probably can't now. 

Whenever we see each other I mention it or he mentions it, and we laugh........we have a mutual white whale.

Yeah, I am quickly learning I am not alone in the AA wait

Trophy wall?