• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Print Runs of Key GA Books
1 1

14 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I'm a little surprised with the popularity of superman, MC and Cap1 had similar print counts to Sup 1. 

What does 3 print runs mean? 

If I understood it correctly there were 3 separate print runs totaling around 900k in total. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. MC 1 initially only had a print run of 80 k I believe but proved to be so popular another 800k were printed ( the Nov issue ). Cap 1 was 3 years later abd superheroes were proving themselves. Once again my number may be off but this is what I recall. 

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

If I understood it correctly there were 3 separate print runs totaling around 900k in total. Someone can correct me if I’m wrong. MC 1 initially only had a print run of 80 k I believe but proved to be so popular another 800k were printed ( the Nov issue ). Cap 1 was 3 years later abd superheroes were proving themselves. Once again my number may be off but this is what I recall. 

Thank you for the info! 

Very cool history. 

48 minutes ago, BuscemasAvengers said:

Link for the documentary?

I wish u had it to post. It came up in my you tube feed last night but can’t find it at the moment. I’m sure I’ll run across it again and will post them. It was made to coincide with the Shazam movie release   Anyone else have some mega key print run info ?  I find this stuff so interesting. Tec 27 so far with the fewest print run from what I can gather.  

I don't think the data is available, which amazes me, but I am also interested in Bat 1 Dot, No-Dot print runs.  I think the common wisdom here on the boards is that the No-Dot version came first, and that the Dot version out numbers the No-Dot version 10 to 1(this estimate was given to me by @Filter81

71530D5E-0D75-410D-9DF2-44BD4F2C29DF.jpeg

DF0B0F23-5EF7-46D7-97DA-7F47DA8B15D6.jpeg

Does anybody know?

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 4/29/2020 at 4:32 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I wish u had it to post. It came up in my you tube feed last night but can’t find it at the moment. I’m sure I’ll run across it again and will post them. It was made to coincide with the Shazam movie release   Anyone else have some mega key print run info ?  I find this stuff so interesting. Tec 27 so far with the fewest print run from what I can gather.  

If you watched it on youtube you can go the history tab or recently viewed and you should find it there .

On 4/6/2020 at 12:38 AM, KCOComics said:

I'm a little surprised with the popularity of superman, MC and Cap1 had similar print counts to Sup 1.

Cap 1 was a year later, so more understandable, but the claimed 2nd print run for Marvel Comics #1 has always mystified me. Superman #1 was current and had gone through three print runs to reach 900,000, and we know that earlier in 1939, sales of Action, Detective, More Fun, and Adventure combined were just over 700,000 copies a month. It just doesn't seem probable that a thrifty publisher made an order 15% higher than the combined total of those four titles.

I think it more likely that Goodman misremembered the number in later years, or exaggerated it for effect of how dominant Marvel was to become.

On 4/30/2020 at 10:10 AM, Lukesaurus said:

If you watched it on youtube you can go the history tab or recently viewed and you should find it there .

Found it !  History of Shazam by Warner Ent. 

On 4/5/2020 at 6:08 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Estimated 

Action 1- 202 k

Tec 27 - 175 k

MC 1 - 880 k ( 2 print runs ) 

Cap 1 - 1 M. 

Supes 1 - 900k ( 3 print runs ) 

Any additions ?

updated:  Whiz #2 (#1). 500,000

What about All-American 16, All Star 8, Flash 1, and More Fun 73 ?

Edited by ChillMan
spacing