• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Insert

15 posts in this topic

I’m wondering if any of you have run across this? It’s an insert for Sega Genesis, Club Bo, and MCRB. I found it in X-Men #1, cover dated October 1991, Cover A (Storm,Beast and Angel). All 5 copies I have of that cover have the insert. I'm just wondering if it was in all copies of that cover, or was it only inserted in some. Can anybody check theirs to confirm this? I've already checked my copies of the 4 other covers and they do not have it.

07edRYD.jpg

abET1VJ.jpg

OGlXw9V.jpg

2df2JaI.jpg

1 hour ago, HotKey said:

Are these more rare than the Jewelers inserts?

There's nothing special about inserts.

Do you have any idea how many different inserts, or even how many different kinds of inserts exist? Most of them are, or at least are meant to be (but mass production isn't perfect), in every copy of the issues to which they were added.

On 3/27/2021 at 6:06 PM, Lazyboy said:

Do you have any idea how many different inserts, or even how many different kinds of inserts exist? Most of them are, or at least are meant to be (but mass production isn't perfect), in every copy of the issues to which they were added.

I think his question was are these a rare insert like  Mark Jewelers, or are these just your usual insert that was in almost every issue. I'm not familiar with this insert but I'm gonna guess since this is the most printed comic ever, that maybe this is a normal insert or everyone would have made a big deal about it a long time ago. lol

On 3/27/2021 at 6:06 PM, Lazyboy said:

Isn't the answer "it depends"?  Here, as noted, in this issue alone there were probably hundreds of thousands printed out of the millions total, so yes, not rare.

But completionists who want every version of an issue? I suppose it matters to them. And while there is virtually nothing from this era that was printed in low numbers, i suppose if some low print run title ever got hot and some copies have the insert and some don't, maybe someone will care.

But honestly, it sounds like a big PITA figuring this out. I mean, most of them just look like advertising pages, why should we care? At least the MJ insert is of a different card stock, they really stand out, and are only found in a small fraction of the books. Of course, so many books of this era also have cards in them you need to check for removal. But I am guessing, for the most part, every direct or newsstand version of a specific issue will have the same insert(s)/cards, so you're not going to have 10% of the direct copies with a given insert and not the others? If so, that would be interesting.

Just now, the blob said:

Isn't the answer "it depends"?  Here, as noted, in this issue alone there were probably hundreds of thousands printed out of the millions total, so yes, not rare.

But completionists who want every version of an issue? I suppose it matters to them. And while there is virtually nothing from this era that was printed in low numbers, i suppose if some low print run title ever got hot and some copies have the insert and some don't, maybe someone will care.

But honestly, it sounds like a big PITA figuring this out. I mean, most of them just look like advertising pages, why should we care? At least the MJ insert is of a different card stock, they really stand out, and are only found in a small fraction of the books. Of course, so many books of this era also have cards in them you need to check for removal. But I am guessing, for the most part, every direct or newsstand version of a specific issue will have the same insert(s)/cards, so you're not going to have 10% of the direct copies with a given insert and not the others? If so, that would be interesting.

But there is another insert like mark jewelers I have seen in some 90s books, was it a different jewelry company? i don't think those appeared in every issue of the book.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:57 PM, jaeldubyoo said:

Apparently, CGC recognizes the "Club Bo" insert on the label.

unVyXzo.jpg?1

mckOTas.jpg?1

I have around 100 copies of this Beast variant cover. I just checked ten of them and they all have the Bo inserts.

FYI- I have multiples of the other covers as well and the ones that I checked did not have the insert.

My question is this:

I have submitted multiple copies to CGC and none of them were returned with the Club Bo insert listed on the label. Is this something that you have to request when submitting this book?

Its possible that the ones I sent did not have the insert but I doubt it.

4 hours ago, Martin4 said:

I have around 100 copies of this Beast variant cover. I just checked ten of them and they all have the Bo inserts.

FYI- I have multiples of the other covers as well and the ones that I checked did not have the insert.

My question is this:

I have submitted multiple copies to CGC and none of them were returned with the Club Bo insert listed on the label. Is this something that you have to request when submitting this book?

Its possible that the ones I sent did not have the insert but I doubt it.

Mine doesn't have it, but it's also newsstand so don't know if that's a factor 

3 hours ago, Martin4 said:

No. It would be part of the notes for the issue, but it's no longer there. Somebody must have realized it doesn't work for all the covers (which are not separated in CGC's database) and removed it.

On 4/6/2020 at 7:57 PM, jaeldubyoo said:

Apparently, CGC recognizes the "Club Bo" insert on the label.

unVyXzo.jpg?1

mckOTas.jpg?1

Not anymore.

Thanks for the input. You would think that if the Beast cover is the only one to have the insert that CGC would identify the difference.

Oh well no big deal.

Out of curiosity, I will prepare a submission and request that they note that they note it on the label. I will report back sometime in October or November.