• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mike Mignola Signatures on Hellboy Comics

11 posts in this topic

I have just recently purchased the full set of 4 comics in the Hellboy Conqueror Worm series.  They are all supposedly signed on the cover by Mike Mignola.  I would add that these comics were not expensive, so I have no reason to expect anyone to have gone to the trouble to forge the signatures, but I'm just wondering what you guys think on whether these look authentic?  If anyone out there with experience on genuine Mike Mignola signatures has a thought on these, I would appreciate your insight.  I posted a full cover photo and a closer shot of the signature on each.

I'm not looking to 100% guarantee the authenticity for sale or anything, these are just for enjoyment in my own collection, as a fan of Mike Mignola and the Hellboy comics.

Thanks!

Hellboy Conqueror Worm 1 of 4 - Full Page.jpg

Hellboy Conqueror Worm 1 of 4 - Signature.jpg

Hellboy Conqueror Worm 2 of 4 - Full Page.jpg

Hellboy Conqueror Worm 2 of 4 - Signature.jpg

Hellboy Conqueror Worm 3 of 4 - Full Page.jpg

Hellboy Conqueror Worm 3 of 4 - Signature.jpg

Hellboy Conqueror Worm 4 of 4 - Full Page.jpg

Hellboy Conqueror Worm 4 of 4 - Signature.jpg

I’d look on eBay for copies of CGC SS copies and compare signatures yourself.

good luck

1 hour ago, revat said:

I’d look on eBay for copies of CGC SS copies and compare signatures yourself.

good luck

1 hour ago, Bird said:

they look spot on to me

Revat, thank you for the suggestion.  Bird, thank you for your opinion on these.

Looking at the ones on eBay, it seems like most of the current signature series signed comics for sale are signed with the signature style that looks more like "Migma".  I have seen others in previous research that look more like what I have here though as well.  Here's one I found for an example: https://images.app.goo.gl/XocBEShPNtmymk8h6.

Research tells me that he has done signatures in a couple of different ways.  I'm not sure if that has changed over a period of time, or if it's just some different ways he does it.  Either way I'll keep researching the official signature series ones to compare, and I appreciate the help!

Oh and here is one currently on eBay in the other style.  It's quite a bit different, actually.  https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WPgAAOSwJ4xeh8d3/s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Grimmreeper
Added new link

4 minutes ago, Bird said:

I have some "Migma" from last year (I think) but here are some I got from Mike myself earlier

EVBaJPkWAAIy9LS?format=jpg&name=360x360EVBaJj-XsAUPngU?format=jpg&name=360x360EVBaJ96X0AYMyKs?format=jpg&name=360x360EVBaKOtXsAAdn-4?format=jpg&name=360x360

There is also a full "Mike Mignola" he did early on, usually in pen

Nice!  Looks like you've got some really nice signed items there.  I'd have to say to my layman's eyes, these do look very similar to what I have.  Looking good for me!  I plan to put these four comics together in one big frame that I can wall mount.

Thanks again for your help, and for sharing the photos of your items.

19 minutes ago, Grimmreeper said:

Nice!  Looks like you've got some really nice signed items there.  I'd have to say to my layman's eyes, these do look very similar to what I have.  Looking good for me!  I plan to put these four comics together in one big frame that I can wall mount.

Thanks again for your help, and for sharing the photos of your items.

Get some help with blocking UV light.  Black ink on light comic paper will fade very very quickly.

8 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

Get some help with blocking UV light.  Black ink on light comic paper will fade very very quickly.

Good to know, thank you.  I will definitely look into getting some UV blocking glass for the frame.

Ron C., that is an awesome comic there!

I also just wanted to post that I did get a nice four cell UV blocking comic frame from Bags Unlimited.  I also put the comics in Mylar bags for hopefully some additional protection from UV.  Here's a photo of them up on the wall.  Thanks again for the help, everyone!

Hellboy Framed Signed Copies.jpg

Edited by Grimmreeper