• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CgcinhousesigningEASTMAN&Bishopp37Ramosp42Frank&Johnsonp43 ChrisEvansp44 Ferrigno&Ottley&DragonBallp45Clayton&KatDennings&JamesTynionpg46Olsen&Battanypg47
9 9

938 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Nicholas Richardson said:

Question I’m about to get New Mutants #1 back in an 8.0. These are the grading notes. Are these able to maybe be pressed out in the future?

Grader Notes:
light creasing to cover
light finger bends on cover
light spine stress lines to cover

Im just curious if signature series are able to be unslabbed by CGC, pressed, re graded and slabbed again? 

—- 

To add to the above discussion. The other one I’m getting back in this batch is an Excalibur #1 9.8 that was already signed by Alan Davis. I sent it in to get Claremont to add his signature. Thankfully it stayed a 9.8. But I hear that’s not always a guarantee. So while the above 8.0 sort of made me upset. Only because it was one of my first times and I was stupid and didn’t get it cleaned and pressed. Because looking at the notes it would have helped. So basically I’m  mad at my mistake nothing CGC did. But anyway, just glad my Excalibur #1 stayed a 9.8. 

Seeing how the grade was an 8.0 I would guess they may not all press out and/or there is some color breaking.  Even if there is color breaking, you might still be able to get a slight grade bump with a pressing.  

And yes - CGC is able to crack open their own Signature Series graded books for re-submission for pressing and grading.  

2 hours ago, Nicholas Richardson said:

Question I’m about to get New Mutants #1 back in an 8.0. These are the grading notes. Are these able to maybe be pressed out in the future?

Grader Notes:
light creasing to cover
light finger bends on cover
light spine stress lines to cover

Im just curious if signature series are able to be unslabbed by CGC, pressed, re graded and slabbed again? 

—- 

To add to the above discussion. The other one I’m getting back in this batch is an Excalibur #1 9.8 that was already signed by Alan Davis. I sent it in to get Claremont to add his signature. Thankfully it stayed a 9.8. But I hear that’s not always a guarantee. So while the above 8.0 sort of made me upset. Only because it was one of my first times and I was stupid and didn’t get it cleaned and pressed. Because looking at the notes it would have helped. So basically I’m  mad at my mistake nothing CGC did. But anyway, just glad my Excalibur #1 stayed a 9.8. 

I would stop messing with that new mutants 1. With a grade that low, the book is not worth what was already spent. Any additional money you put into it is just wasted, even if you get this to a 9.0 (that would cost you an additional $50! minimum). Just consider it a learning experience without having to spend more money.

And yes, you can send CGC a slabbed signed book that they will then crack press and regrade.

For the record. I’m never planning on selling these so I mean I’m debating even doing it. Would I like a higher grade? Sure. But other than just for myself it’s not like I’m doing it for resale value. So I mean i guess it’s.. would I feel any better if it’s a 9.0 instead of an 8.0 for the extra money it would cost if the only reason i do it for my permanent collection? I guess it’s the debate. I guess I should wait to see the color breaking when I get it back. If their is some like you guys speculate then yeah.. I won’t do it! It’s signed by Claremont now. That was the point. But for the first real comic I sent in myself. It’s a learning experience.

Just coincidentally got back from the New Mutants movie. Thanks for the responses.

10 hours ago, Nicholas Richardson said:

For the record. I’m never planning on selling these so I mean I’m debating even doing it. Would I like a higher grade? Sure. But other than just for myself it’s not like I’m doing it for resale value. So I mean i guess it’s.. would I feel any better if it’s a 9.0 instead of an 8.0 for the extra money it would cost if the only reason i do it for my permanent collection? I guess it’s the debate. I guess I should wait to see the color breaking when I get it back. If their is some like you guys speculate then yeah.. I won’t do it! It’s signed by Claremont now. That was the point. But for the first real comic I sent in myself. It’s a learning experience.

Just coincidentally got back from the New Mutants movie. Thanks for the responses.

if money is no issue and this is for your personal collection, then you could always buy a high grade new Mutants 1 for $56 online and wait for the next claremont signing. You'd get a much higher grade for your personal collection.

Edited by William-James88

12 hours ago, William-James88 said:

if money is no issue and this is for your personal collection, then you could always buy a high grade new Mutants 1 for $56 online and wait for the next claremont signing. You'd get a much higher grade for your personal collection.

In my mind I've always debated the "from my personal collection" and "sentimental value" concept. Yeah I may have gotten it from back in the day, lined up for it, saved up my lunch money, etc. but if the population is large, would I rather get something better now rather than hold on to my "personal" lower grade. For example, a lot of people slab McFarlane Spawns or Jim Lee X-Mens that they dug up, but were actually produced in the millions with far better condition.

Everyone's opinions may vary and I respect that, but personally I'm starting to be more practical than sentimental.

44 minutes ago, bobotski said:

CGC just put up this new waiver on the submission page, basically summarizing this thread's mention of the risks of submitting a slabbed book.

image.thumb.png.912f7cd458d7207b9e89edaf60352bd1.png

If this is the case then why get comics graded at all. I would like to know more information, for example are there certain comics that this happens to only or are the comics too tight in the slabs?

1 hour ago, Gator Guru said:

If this is the case then why get comics graded at all. I would like to know more information, for example are there certain comics that this happens to only or are the comics too tight in the slabs?

No kidding. They are blatantly saying that their slabbing technique itself can permanently damage the ink of a book, and that it isn't their fault. 

Also, I have opened a TON of slabs and have never once damaged a book. If I can do better than CGC can, then what in the world are they even doing?

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Any good?

I’m not the best person to ask. I loved it. But I’ve been a staunch supporter of it since production was announced so maybe I’m biased. Bob Macleod the co creator had some really negative thoughts on it today but more that the credits spelled his name wrong and he didn’t like any of the casting. He hasn’t seen the movie. Claremont wants to but no theater near where he lives is open. Boone has also made waves with his defense of the Roberto casting. The 3rd act is balls to the wall. That’s the one thing you can know for sure. The women were all great. I loved the CGI and effects. So far not enough professional reviews for a concensus but so far not great. But a lot oF these critics are upset it wasn’t screen for them for free and they had to buy their own ticket. So a long answer is I loved it but sadly this seems to be the minority point of view right now.

But back to the discussion at hand. I have another New Mutants #1 but don’t think it’s as good of quality as this one was. So that’s why I didn’t send it in. But I guess I’ll be happy with my 8.0 signed. I mean it’s just going in my CGC box. I have a number of them. But most are ones my local CBS submits for me. And other ones I’ve purchased on eBay. Like my Howard the Duck #1 9.8. Excalibur Special Edition 9.8 signed by Lee, Claremont, and Davis. 

The four books I’ve discussed here.. the two Graphic Novel Mags and These Two Regular Issues. One that was a previous sign series slabbed one. We’re the first I ever submitted on my own, the first I didn’t ask my comic store buddies.. They are good at looking and telling you what the grade is. I didn’t have their help on these. So my eye test didn’t really fail. I expecting what I got on my God Loves Man Kills and New Mutants Graphic Novel. Excalibur #1 was already a 9.8. But I did really misjudge my New Mutants #1. I thought it was at least a 9.0 and it turned out an 8.0. But the grader notes gave me a better understanding of why I misjudged it. Those things I completely missed. 

Edited by Nicholas Richardson

19 minutes ago, Nicholas Richardson said:

I’m not the best person to ask. I loved it. But I’ve been a staunch supporter of it since production was announced so maybe I’m biased. Bob Macleod the co creator had some really negative thoughts on it today but more that the credits spelled his name wrong and he didn’t like any of the casting. He hasn’t seen the movie. Claremont wants to but no theater near where he lives is open. Boone has also made waves with his defense of the Roberto casting. The 3rd act is balls to the wall. That’s the one thing you can know for sure. The women were all great. I loved the CGI and effects. So far not enough professional reviews for a concensus but so far not great. But a lot oF these critics are upset it wasn’t screen for them for free and they had to buy their own ticket. So a long answer is I loved it but sadly this seems to be the minority point of view right now.

But back to the discussion at hand. I have another New Mutants #1 but don’t think it’s as good of quality as this one was. So that’s why I didn’t send it in. But I guess I’ll be happy with my 8.0 signed. I mean it’s just going in my CGC box. I have a number of them. But most are ones my local CBS submits for me. And other ones I’ve purchased on eBay. Like my Howard the Duck #1 9.8. Excalibur Special Edition 9.8 signed by Lee, Claremont, and Davis. 

The four books I’ve discussed here.. the two Graphic Novel Mags and These Two Regular Issues. One that was a previous sign series slabbed one. We’re the first I ever submitted on my own, the first I didn’t ask my comic store buddies.. They are good at looking and telling you what the grade is. I didn’t have their help on these. So my eye test didn’t really fail. I expecting what I got on my God Loves Man Kills and New Mutants Graphic Novel. Excalibur #1 was already a 9.8. But I did really misjudge my New Mutants #1. I thought it was at least a 9.0 and it turned out an 8.0. But the grader notes gave me a better understanding of why I misjudged it. Those things I completely missed. 

One of the reasons Bob McLeod was upset was because they misspelled his last name in the movie credits... just like you did.  :whatthe:  

FINALLY getting grades back from the Miller and Claremont signings, and the results..... I'm happy!

For Miller:  2 9.8s and 1 9.4 (Miller must have manhandled the book, because I swear it was perfect. No grader's notes unfortunately.)

For Claremont:  1 9.8 and 1 9.6

As I am deciding what books to send to get signed, by Jason Fabok.  The Darkseid War was great read, Awesome Art and a wonderful storyline.  I'll probably wait till the end of November before sending them off cause maybe the the exchange rate will be better.  Afterall at this very moment $80 dollars American is equal to $104.75 Canadian.... ouch  oh boy.  Anyhow with the issues I chose, it would be nice to hang them in their CGC case on my wall.   Admiring these covers, because there is alot to inspect on these covers. :) 

JamesPart1.jpg

Jamespart2.jpg

Edited by Etreiw

Although Mr. Geoff Johns has done alot of books,  I took it down to about 6 books :) ,  one of them I'm sending involves Cyclone, which I hear will be staring in that Black Adam movie.... I would have never have thought that character would be in a movie. It will be interesting to see how that character will be played in that movie.  As for stars and stripes, I picked up #0, but nothing after that, I think it came down budget wise back then...how many titles was I reading = cost.  Oh well.  Sad thing is it's 2020, and my pull list is very very short.

Geoff.jpg

Has anyone submitted a book for any of the artists that offer remarks? I was wondering what do you ask for in a remark, do you go into a lot of detail about what you want or what I was thinking just leaving it up to the artist choice. 

To try to make 3 separate letter boxes for Geoff Johns, Jason Fabok and Brad Anderson on one comic book? hahahahaha someone would have to pay me to do that, I had trouble as is just to put two letter boxes on a comic without disturbing the flow of the art on the cover. :) 

On 7/28/2020 at 1:21 PM, StillOnly25Cents said:

well I just received my signed book from the CC signing and my mood went from pure elation ......

2013434118_image2(7).jpeg.883295edac37f8e8da74d575e91483a0.jpeg

....  to major disappointment in a matter of just a few minutes

147652065_image2(8).jpeg.0a27e71e98135cbf5572fbb2e5c8b73c.jpeg

1322724530_image1(8).jpeg.aa95288fe6cce712d848bc3a283f2bcb.jpeg

80228712_image2(9).jpeg.73e2fb8c66a4bf570f754fa68fa45732.jpeg

props to team CGC (Jennifer, Brittany) for taking care of my issue with a re-slab

got my book back again today and it looks much better, while there are a couple of minuscule newton ring spots around the sig it is nothing like the original slab .... hopefully in the future they find a way to make the slabs 100% free of this effect

wolv1.jpg

wolv2.jpg

31 minutes ago, Nic8612 said:

Sent in a copy of Lethal Protector 1 gold foil for the Bagley/De la Rosa signing. It just got scheduled for grading today. 

Problem is that I asked for a press.  That seems a little too quick to have been pressed.....

Same for my Bagley signed book but I didnt ask for a press, so that does quite fast. 😕

10 minutes ago, Gator Guru said:

Same for my Bagley signed book but I didnt ask for a press, so that does quite fast. 😕

I just got off the phone with a rep. She said my book was transferred from CCS today and it went directly to grading.  I know the specific defect I wanted pressed out was a dinged/crumpled corner, so it will be easy to tell if the press was done or not.

I'll try to remember to update once I get the book back