• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CgcinhousesigningEASTMAN&Bishopp37Ramosp42Frank&Johnsonp43 ChrisEvansp44 Ferrigno&Ottley&DragonBallp45Clayton&KatDennings&JamesTynionpg46Olsen&Battanypg47
9 9

938 posts in this topic

On 8/21/2020 at 5:20 PM, thesink said:

Huh, today I was billed by CCS for my comic that is in for the Bagley/De La Rosa signing.

We keep being told pressing is after signing, ok we get that. So why is our books being billed by CCS before signing when we know the usual practice. Your books have been billed by CCS yet CGC is saying on their instagram that Mark Bailey/De La Rosa signing is tomorrow. I thought CCS bills you when they have them in hand and then begin to press the comics.

By the way part of my submission for the Steranko signing has come out of the black hole and is now in scheduled for grading.

1 hour ago, Mtrx_25 said:

We keep being told pressing is after signing, ok we get that. So why is our books being billed by CCS before signing when we know the usual practice. Your books have been billed by CCS yet CGC is saying on their instagram that Mark Bailey/De La Rosa signing is tomorrow. I thought CCS bills you when they have them in hand and then begin to press the comics.

By the way part of my submission for the Steranko signing has come out of the black hole and is now in scheduled for grading.

Have you tried asking CGC directly?

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/23-ask-cgc/

9 hours ago, Shawngk said:

Woohoo! Geoff Johns. ✌️

OY, just when I think I'm out they pull me back in.... but $80 bucks?!?!?!? and that's not including the pressing... or $110 bucks for the two of them? OY Of course with amount of other books that those 2 did. no one is just gonna send just one.   Hell I live in Edmonton Alberta, if I "were to send books down" it would be at least 10 just so the cost of shipping would be spread over more books....  $550(duel sigining) + $400(single signings) + ($200 pressing) $1150 canadian dollars = what to American dollars?  OY I really don't want to know...cause it's gonna hurt  

7 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Could that be what brought the grade down to a 9.4?

William-James, I just looked at my submission page, via CGC and the grader notes said only this - light crease right top of front cover.  They don't mention what the name was unfortunately.

On 8/24/2020 at 6:39 PM, Every Day A Story said:

Be hilarious if it was Frank Miller sig. Anything in the grading notes?

"Light crease right top of front cover."

That was all.  I don't understand why grader notes are not included on all submissions. 

14 minutes ago, Otter1775 said:

William-James, I just looked at my submission page, via CGC and the grader notes said only this - light crease right top of front cover.  They don't mention what the name was unfortunately.

Here's a follow up question. Did you pay the extra 20$ for a press?

Just had first batch of my Jim Shooter Signing books shipped and it seems the concerns on how CGC are handling these books during these in-house signings may perhaps be well founded.

I submitted 4 books, all in their original 9.8 slabs, which CGC cracked and prepped at $5 cost.

Disappointed to report that, although 3 retained 9.8 grade, one book dropped to 9.6. As you can imagine and doesn't fill me with hope for the other 3 batches of books that I have also submitted for broader Shooter, Zeck and Beatty signing. 

The frustrating part is that they ALL should have retained their grades and CGC should do the best to make sure it retains the previous grade whilst in their care. Because they were all sent in their original graded 9.8s slabs I opted not to have this batch go to CCS for pressing (and nor should I have to really either).

Amother frustration is that there are no graders notes to explain the grade drop, so completely in the dark on why they have decided to ping the book. Did it get damaged on CGC opening the slab, or the prep? Or did Shooter manhandle the thing? 

Luckily I have hi-res scans of the slab prior at least and will report back with comparison images prior to sending to CGC when I get the books back in hand.

The worst part is that I rang customer service who sadly were far from their usual helpful selves and simply referred me to the T&C's, refusing to take to responsibility or help. Not like the team usually sadly...

Caveat Emptor

Edited by Every Day A Story

I don't know how mixed up all the books must be because im assuming every single person that sent a book to Jim Steranko singing pressed them first because I keep seeing later singings by the other artist already getting graded and shipped. Did the books get lost I just don't understand why every single other book is getting pressed graded and shipped and all these books are events after Steranko.

I only sent 1 mag for Steranko signing.  CC was charged on 8/4/20.  I am having it pressed,  No update yet, but I seem to recall that the pressing would take at least 2 weeks.  Anyone know what the original time estimates were for pressing and grading as the package deal was presented?

30 minutes ago, Mtrx_25 said:

I don't know how mixed up all the books must be because im assuming every single person that sent a book to Jim Steranko singing pressed them first because I keep seeing later singings by the other artist already getting graded and shipped. Did the books get lost I just don't understand why every single other book is getting pressed graded and shipped and all these books are events after Steranko.

I understand that you're new to this and see that you keep post questions here, so I want to clarify something for you. 

While many of us like imparting the knowledge we've gleaned over the years, none of us work for CGC. 

I recommended 2 days ago that you post your questions / concerns on the Ask CGC Forum, but you haven't and continue to ask fellow board members to answer questions that we can't possibly have the answers to.

Best of luck to you, I'm out. 

1 hour ago, Chazgee said:

I understand that you're new to this and see that you keep post questions here, so I want to clarify something for you. 

While many of us like imparting the knowledge we've gleaned over the years, none of us work for CGC. 

I recommended 2 days ago that you post your questions / concerns on the Ask CGC Forum, but you haven't and continue to ask fellow board members to answer questions that we can't possibly have the answers to.

Best of luck to you, I'm out. 

You know what, your right I've been sidetracked and haven't paid attention where im posting these questions and what this page is exactly for. I am new to this not to CGC but the forums so I thank you for setting me straight.

2 hours ago, Every Day A Story said:

Just had first batch of my Jim Shooter Signing books shipped and it seems the concerns on how CGC are handling these books during these in-house signings may perhaps be well founded.

I submitted 4 books, all in their original 9.8 slabs, which CGC cracked and prepped at $5 cost.

Disappointed to report that, although 3 retained 9.8 grade, one book dropped to 9.6. As you can imagine and doesn't fill me with hope for the other 3 batches of books that I have also submitted for broader Shooter, Zeck and Beatty signing. 

The frustrating part is that they ALL should have retained their grades and CGC should do the best to make sure it retains the previous grade whilst in their care. Because they were all sent in their original graded 9.8s slabs I opted not to have this batch go to CCS for pressing (and nor should I have to really either).

Amother frustration is that there are no graders notes to explain the grade drop, so completely in the dark on why they have decided to ping the book. Did it get damaged on CGC opening the slab, or the prep? Or did Shooter manhandle the thing? 

Luckily I have hi-res scans of the slab prior at least and will report back with comparison images prior to sending to CGC when I get the books back in hand.

The worst part is that I rang customer service who sadly were far from their usual helpful selves and simply referred me to the T&C's, refusing to take to responsibility or help. Not like the team usually sadly...

Caveat Emptor

Yes, being mishandled is a possibility. Also, not all graders are the same, and it's a given and unfortunately a known fact that grader's ratings are not consistent -- one grader's 9.8 is someone's 9.6. Perhaps the original 9.8 was right there on the cusp and the later grader was stricter.

Sucks I know, but it has always been said that taking it out of the slab has its risk. I had one that also got downgraded, but I'm still risking one for the JSC signing. These are the types of things that fuel the pressing bandwagon. (Or maybe a conspiracy by CGC to encourage CCS use??)

39 minutes ago, bobotski said:

These are the types of things that fuel the pressing bandwagon. (Or maybe a conspiracy by CGC to encourage CCS use??)

It certainly crossed my mind too and I'd like to think CGC are above such tactics. However their recent customer service response is making me re-evaluate that view...

18 hours ago, Every Day A Story said:

Caveat Emptor

You said you shouldn't need this batch to get pressed after they were handled for a signing, why? A 9.8 is a delicate grade, CGC cracked it out of a holder, put it in a new bag, it was piled upon other books and someone held the comic and applied pressure to it to sign it. Why would you assume the grades would stay the same? I think you instead got rather lucky that they all stayed 9.8s.

Also, I don't know why people keep sending CGC slabs for signings. Not only do you pay more with that extra fee (and shipping, since slabs are more expensive to ship out) but you are adding an array of extra handling steps by strangers. Why not just crack and prep the book in your own home, where you are more in control? As soon as its cracked, the grade it was in is no longer applicable and the comic must be regarded, so it doesn't matter who does the cracking. CGC won't feel compelled in any way to give you the same grade, there wont even be a record of the grade it came in when it comes time to regrade your comics. I just don't see any advantage to sending in slabbed books for a signing.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

You said you shouldn't need this batch to get pressed after they were handled for a signing, why? A 9.8 is a delicate grade, CGC cracked it out of a holder, put it in a new bag, it was piled upon other books and someone held the comic and applied pressure to it to sign it. Why would you assume the grades would stay the same? I think you instead got rather lucky that they all stayed 9.8s.

Completely agree. It's been repeated over and over and over on these boards. Grades are not guaranteed. The fact that anyone experienced with CGC would expect their grades to remain the same is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, William-James88 said:

Why not just crack and prep the book in your own home, where you are more in control? As soon as its cracked, the grade it was in is no longer applicable and the comic must be regarded, so it doesn't matter who does the cracking. CGC won't feel compelled in any way to give you the same grade, there wont even be a record of the grade it came in when it comes time to regrade your comics. I just don't see any advantage to sending in slabbed books for a signing.

Except for adding to an existing SS book (obviously), I also agree. There are plenty of YouTube videos on cracking a slab. I also like to send it in with the original Universal grade card on the flipside of the backing board so the Census remains accurate.

Edited by Chazgee

2 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

Except for adding to an existing SS book (obviously), I also agree. There are plenty of YouTube videos on cracking a slab. I also like send it in with the original Universal grade card on the flipside of the backing board so the Census remains accurate.

Right, all great points and advice. Thanks for adding to my post!

Question I’m about to get New Mutants #1 back in an 8.0. These are the grading notes. Are these able to maybe be pressed out in the future?

Grader Notes:
light creasing to cover
light finger bends on cover
light spine stress lines to cover

Im just curious if signature series are able to be unslabbed by CGC, pressed, re graded and slabbed again? 

—- 

To add to the above discussion. The other one I’m getting back in this batch is an Excalibur #1 9.8 that was already signed by Alan Davis. I sent it in to get Claremont to add his signature. Thankfully it stayed a 9.8. But I hear that’s not always a guarantee. So while the above 8.0 sort of made me upset. Only because it was one of my first times and I was stupid and didn’t get it cleaned and pressed. Because looking at the notes it would have helped. So basically I’m  mad at my mistake nothing CGC did. But anyway, just glad my Excalibur #1 stayed a 9.8. 

Edited by Nicholas Richardson