• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CgcinhousesigningEASTMAN&Bishopp37Ramosp42Frank&Johnsonp43 ChrisEvansp44 Ferrigno&Ottley&DragonBallp45Clayton&KatDennings&JamesTynionpg46Olsen&Battanypg47
9 9

938 posts in this topic

On 6/30/2020 at 5:25 PM, DELTA 62 said:

Seeing movement on my Donny Cates / Ryan Stegman books... "scheduled for grading" :whee:

Hopefully everyone gets theirs soon too!

On 7/2/2020 at 1:47 PM, Gator Guru said:

Let us know what grade you get on that one!

Apparently something happened with my Venom 1 that was as nice a book as I have in my collection.  It's coming back as an 8.0 with multiple notes of damage and tears to it. This was not nearly the condition it was sent in. The book was bagged/boarded immediately after purchase and never even read or taken out until I moved it to the window bag. It was even packaged between slabs with cardboard/bubblewrapped/more packing material around the entire thing, then bubble wrapped again. Cardboard was bigger than the slabs so the books were secured with painters tape. I'm beyond confused and upset by this. The others are all 9.8's.

1 hour ago, Photoc said:

Apparently something happened with my Venom 1 that was as nice a book as I have in my collection.  It's coming back as an 8.0 with multiple notes of damage and tears to it. This was not nearly the condition it was sent in. The book was bagged/boarded immediately after purchase and never even read or taken out until I moved it to the window bag. It was even packaged between slabs with cardboard/bubblewrapped/more packing material around the entire thing, then bubble wrapped again. Cardboard was bigger than the slabs so the books were secured with painters tape. I'm beyond confused and upset by this. The others are all 9.8's.

Mail-away gremlins got ya. That's happened to me before and I'm sure it will happen many times again. Sucks, especially when there will never be an answer.  :frustrated:

2 hours ago, Photoc said:

Thanks for the update and sorry about the 8.0. Thats rough but I feel like the risk/reward made it worth it for sure and sometimes we just get unlucky in this hobby.

42 minutes ago, thesink said:

Mail-away gremlins got ya. That's happened to me before and I'm sure it will happen many times again. Sucks, especially when there will never be an answer.  :frustrated:

In your opinion was it the mail carrier, cgc handling or the signer that was the issue?

On 6/24/2020 at 9:41 AM, Chazgee said:

@Rudysseus

Looks like Steranko and a few others have indeed been pushed back.

Artist Price Submissions open Submissions cut-off
Clayton Crain
$70
April 7
May 25
George Perez
$75
April 16
May 29
Chris Claremont
$70
April 10
July 6
Frank Miller
$130
April 13
July 6
Scott Snyder
$70
April 14
July 6
Donny Cates and Ryan Stegman
$90 for both
April 15
June 15
Tom King
$65
April 15
June 15
Greg Horn
$70
May 12
July 3
Jimmy Palmiotti and Amanda Conner
$70 for both
May 18
July 3
Jim Steranko
$85
May 21
July 20
Tyler Kirkham
$70
May 22
August 12
Mike Mayhew
$65 or $180
June9
July 3
Michael Golden
$70, $125 or $425
June 10
August 3
Mike Zeck
$70, $90, or $110
June11
August 3
John Beatty
$70, $90, or $110
June 16
August 3
Jim Shooter
$70 or $110
June 16
August 3

so based on a FB post I saw it look like Miller will be at CGC signing next week and Claremont the following week for those watching the calendar

39 minutes ago, thesink said:

I think it was the signer/cgc transition.

Sorry to here that. Its also why I held off on sending in a few high $ items to get signed. I did however bite big on the Skottie Young signing. Fingers crossed to keep my 9.8s.

On 7/7/2020 at 1:14 PM, Photoc said:

You should never send a book in without doing a page count and grading it yourself.  It may have been damage from handling, or just as easily may have been back cover damage that you never even knew about. You stated that you never read it, and bagged and boarded it immediately. it could have been damaged going into your pull file, being put in the Diamond box etc.  The only way you have any credibility casting blame for the damage is to have documented the condition of the book going in.

All of us have missed things in grading before, and admitting that you have never looked or handled the book other than bagging or boarding it takes away from the idea that it was mishandled.

13 minutes ago, seanfingh said:

The only way you have any credibility casting blame for the damage is to have documented the condition of the book going in.

All of us have missed things in grading before, and admitting that you have never looked or handled the book other than bagging or boarding it takes away from the idea that it was mishandled.

Quick photos or scans go a long way towards peace of mind before shipping. I've discovered minor defects that I wasn't aware of by doing this. It helps me adjust my grade expectations and in more than a few instances, re-evaluate whether I want to send the book in at all.

26 minutes ago, Chazgee said:

Quick photos or scans go a long way towards peace of mind before shipping. I've discovered minor defects that I wasn't aware of by doing this. It helps me adjust my grade expectations and in more than a few instances, re-evaluate whether I want to send the book in at all.

I think a photo or scan is a best practice for sure.

Ha. off track a little. I never once thought of scanning a comic.  I might try that just to see how it turns out.  A low cost or second copy of something. That might actually be a good idea to catelog submissions. 😊

I have taken photos of the few (2) books I have ever sent in ... good practice to do so, yes .... however ultimately there is no proof that the book you have a photo of is the book you actually sent in other than to yourself  

with older books will likely be some distinguishing characteristics most of the time so that helps, maybe not so much with modern books

then again, trust goes both ways and we have to trust CGC is sending us back the book we actually sent in :bigsmile:

On 7/8/2020 at 4:32 PM, Chazgee said:

Here are pics of the book. The tear is in the top center with another damage spot directly on the opposite back side of the book. It was damaged when someone grabbed the book there and tore it. The spine ticks could well have been there when sent. This is UNACCEPTABLE that this was handle that poorly. There was no rip or damage like this to the top center when I sent it out.

2020-07-09 09.58.38.jpg

20200708_210010.jpg

20200708_210033.jpg

20200708_205941.jpg

On 7/9/2020 at 8:29 PM, Photoc said:

Here are pics of the book. The tear is in the top center with another damage spot directly on the opposite back side of the book. It was damaged when someone grabbed the book there and tore it. The spine ticks could well have been there when sent. This is UNACCEPTABLE that this was handle that poorly. There was no rip or damage like this to the top center when I sent it out.

2020-07-09 09.58.38.jpg

20200708_210010.jpg

20200708_210033.jpg

20200708_205941.jpg

So I am going to just ask this but did you request the color sigs that you got?

14 hours ago, Gator Guru said:

So I am going to just ask this but did you request the color sigs that you got?

No, I was unaware that I could request colors, otherwise I would have asked for white/silver on the darker parts on the other books I had done. There is black on black on two of them and very hard to see :(

Edited by Photoc