• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember the 80s? What was the best MARVEL mini Series?
3 3

105 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The series was so popular that it spawned numerous similar series:

Official Marvel Handbook of the ASM Universe, Marvel Teamup Universe, FF Universe, Conan Universe, etc.

It was similar to the Monster Manual, Deities & Demigods, and Field Folio books that TSR was publishing at the time.   Maybe that's why I liked it at the time.

10 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The series was so popular that it spawned numerous similar series:

Official Marvel Handbook of the ASM Universe, Marvel Teamup Universe, FF Universe, Conan Universe, etc.

Didn't they also come out with a series that was dedicated to all the weapons in the Marvel Universe.

My answer would have been Secret Wars as my juvenile brain remembers that as epic storytelling.  I re-read it last week and I was completely underwhelmed and it definitely felt very dated.  Going to go back and re-read the Wolverine series and any others that are recommended in this thread.

On 10/12/2020 at 10:04 AM, ThothAmon said:

Can’t remember if these are any good. First Wolverine limited series has to win gold for Marvel. 
E84390A0-F12D-4893-8971-6A64113CBA62.jpeg

062D5F14-681D-48A1-A124-E196A2CCDABE.jpeg

7D2F4CF3-97CE-4B91-BDE6-B6FED17EF62B.jpeg

77A75496-D4A5-41F9-81CA-F9DAFF534D0A.jpeg

CFA81D47-6865-4A7F-A3A4-792E3C7CF08C.jpeg

576B4C38-B2A8-465B-8424-80FC4E6B648A.jpeg

8491E876-FB8E-4F02-BD18-9CA960DB5085.jpeg

Beauty and the Beast and Iceman were decent reads.  Iceman seemed a little disjointed, but a lot of the Marvel mini series from that time frame seem that way like they were rushed.  Going off memory, I would think Wolverine and Punisher were both solid reads.  Some of the other fun ones I can remember would be Hawkeye, Hercules, and Falcon.  Have four short boxes of Marvel minis to work my way through reading.  

6 minutes ago, John R said:

I'm sure this wasn't that popular as it was an independent but i thought it was enjoyable at the time  -

Somerset Holmes - Written by Bruce Jones - Art by Brent Anderson

Looks super pulpy.  I'll have to check that one out.

On 10/14/2020 at 7:01 PM, I am not Glenda said:

I don't know how anyone could read the Miller Wolverine series and not think it was simply amazing,In many ways it redefined the character for the next 4 decades . in both comics and movies. 

"The most lasting impression that the series made on Wolverine’s character, and probably the single smartest connection that it makes with regards to his character, is entwining Wolverine within Japanese culture."

Hands down the best.  

Still excellent today

On 4/9/2020 at 12:40 AM, fastballspecial said:

I am going to have to 2nd this.

While I loved Secret Wars and Wolverine.

Mark G wrote a masterpiece. I miss his writing.

Something I didnt know till a few years ago as well. The first edition TPB of Squadron Supreme
has Mark G's ashes in the book as well. 1st edition are impossible to find. 

6 hours ago, John R said:

I'm sure this wasn't that popular as it was an independent but i thought it was enjoyable at the time  -

Somerset Holmes - Written by Bruce Jones - Art by Brent Anderson 

(pics below aren't mine)

image.thumb.png.9f2b677043804616d2042ec8a107be1b.png

Absolutely loved this series!!!!

On 10/13/2020 at 11:59 AM, Morganmi said:

Oh yea! Can't believe I forgot Machine Man. Probably my second favorite series behind Wolverine. BWS was my favorite artist at the time and I thought he really out did himself on that series.

Good Art > Good Story for me in almost all comicbooks.

These two had both really good.

I recall really enjoying Contest of Champions, Squadron Supreme, Wolverine (holds up too; re-read recently), West Coast Avengers (might have been my favorite, as a huge Avengers fan -- a second team! Too bad the regular series started so poorly. It got better but never really hit much of a stride.), Falcon. I'm with @HighVoltage Secret Wars was pretty poorly executed and does not hold up well. I didn't like it much on first pass, and I re-read it when I got a tpb in a collection last year and I'm still flat on it.

DC rocked that era as minis go, with Crisis, Watchmen and Dark Knight.

Surprised no one has brought up Ronin at all; not my cup of tea but a well-loved, widely popular one.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something....

1 hour ago, Readcomix said:

Surprised no one has brought up Ronin at all; not my cup of tea but a well-loved, widely popular one.

I mentioned it but was going off on the Marvel series so didn't really give it its due. I remember it was hands down my favorite DC mini series at the time, but its been so long I need to reread it and my copies still look pretty minty so afraid to bust them out again. Have to go look and see if there's a TPB or some cheap readers available somewhere. :bigsmile:

5 minutes ago, Morganmi said:

I mentioned it but was going off on the Marvel series so didn't really give it its due. I remember it was hands down my favorite DC mini series at the time, but its been so long I need to reread it and my copies still look pretty minty so afraid to bust them out again. Have to go look and see if there's a TPB or some cheap readers available somewhere. :bigsmile:

Oops, missed that! I knew it got a lotta love!

On 4/13/2020 at 11:08 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 4/11/2020 at 6:21 PM, comiconxion said:

Since Zeck's Secret Wars and Punisher keep coming up, would Kraven's Last Hunt count here?  Although not bannered as a Limited Series per se, I believe it was the 1st complete story Marvel had ever told across three titles?

I don’t think it would...it’s one story arc spread across three titles...not the same thing as a mini-series, IMHO

Well, I am sure this also wouldn't qualify since it's really a story arc, but from my own personal point of view, definitely better than any of the mini-series from Marvel in the 80's.  (shrug)

Of course the story arc which I am referring to is Daredevil's Born Again by Frank Miller which was one of the absolute best storylines from the 80's.  (thumbsu  :cloud9: