• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Remember the 80s? What was the best MARVEL mini Series?
3 3

105 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2020 at 7:11 AM, Keys_Collector said:

My answer would have been Secret Wars as my juvenile brain remembers that as epic storytelling.  I re-read it last week and I was completely underwhelmed and it definitely felt very dated.  Going to go back and re-read the Wolverine series and any others that are recommended in this thread.

I felt the same way.  The whole concept was just too bloated for its own good, probably.  The Wolverine and Punisher miniseries are pretty universally regarded as the best, and that was because at heart they were not gimmicks.  With those I got the sense that they were published not to simply sell comics but because they were stories that needed telling.

On 4/8/2020 at 5:54 PM, Ken Aldred said:

Squadron Supreme by Mark Gruenwald was very good.

I totally agree!

I had no idea what to expect from this series when it came out, but it was a great read and really fleshed out characters I only knew of from their appearances in the Avengers comic...

On 4/8/2020 at 3:08 AM, Von Cichlid said:

For me it's a tie between the Punisher and Wolverine mini-series for sure.  Both proved that each character could easily carry not only one but multiple ongoing titles, MCP serving as a defacto 2nd title for Wolverine.

2nd place pretty clearly has to be Secret Wars.

In 4th place I got a tie between Longshot (really for the art alone) and Kitty Pride and Wolverine (underrated IMO).

I remember the art being just dreadful in the Wolvy/Kitty mini :sick:

No doubt IMHO, Secret Wars was best.  It was epic and had great artwork by Zeck.  Two of my all time favorite covers on #4 (the hulk holds up a mountain!) and 10 (Doom!)  And of course the intro of Spidey's black suit which became huge in the long run.

As a child of the ‘80s, toys drove my comic selection.  So naturally I gravitated towards Transformers, GI Joe, MASK, Masters of the Universe, etc.  But my favorite Marvel mini-series was undoubtedly Starriors.  It was actually a good read for a toy based comic.

Edited by CrocHntr

4 hours ago, s-man said:

No doubt IMHO, Secret Wars was best.  It was epic and had great artwork by Zeck.  Two of my all time favorite covers on #4 (the hulk holds up a mountain!) and 10 (Doom!)  And of course the intro of Spidey's black suit which became huge in the long run.

:headbang:

Secret Wars # 10.jpg