• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 300
1 1

125 posts in this topic

Venom is one of the most iconic characters in all of comics and one of the most popular!

And his first appearance comes in ASM 300, which is one of the most valuable copper age books.

But what is confusing is that the book is as common as dirt and yet it maintains its longevity in value, which goes to further show the popularity and strength of the character.

I'd like people to weigh in on why they think it maintains its value?

It also has one of the most famous covers of all time by one of the most famous artists of all time. And once something becomes popular enough its popularity becomes self perpetuating. Like the Kardashians, some comics are famous for being famous. 

3 minutes ago, Ryan. said:

It also has one of the most famous covers of all time by one of the most famous artists of all time. And once something becomes popular enough its popularity becomes self perpetuating. Like the Kardashians, some comics are famous for being famous. 

I like everything up to comparing the book to the Kardashians 

:roflmao:

:tink:

Most iconic comic of the 1930s?  Most collectors can't afford it.

Most iconic comic of the 1940s?  Most collectors can't afford it.

Most iconic comic of the 1950s?  Most collectors can't afford it.

Most iconic comic of the 1960s?  Most collectors can't afford it.

Most iconic comic of the 1970s?  Most collectors can't afford it.

... but then comes the 1980s...

Most iconic comic of the 1980s?  Most collectors can't afford it.

So, because they can't afford a real TMNT #1, they go for ASM #300. :kidaround:

But seriously, ASM #300 is the only remaining affordable truly iconic comic over the age of 30.

31 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Most iconic comic of the 1930s?  Most collectors can't afford it.

Most iconic comic of the 1940s?  Most collectors can't afford it.

Most iconic comic of the 1950s?  Most collectors can't afford it.

Most iconic comic of the 1960s?  Most collectors can't afford it.

Most iconic comic of the 1970s?  Most collectors can't afford it.

... but then comes the 1980s...

Most iconic comic of the 1980s?  Most collectors can't afford it.

So, because they can't afford a real TMNT #1, they go for ASM #300. :kidaround:

But seriously, ASM #300 is the only remaining affordable truly iconic comic over the age of 30.

I was waiting (patiently) for you to chime in...it goes against the standards of value, it is such a common book, and yet over $2000. Do you think it has reached its ceiling? If not, how much do you estimate it will be in 10 years?

:tink:

I agree with above, a few factors all coming together in one book. McFarlane just started on the title, round number issue, new character, great cover image, and huge character popularity all in one book.

On 4/7/2020 at 9:18 PM, valiantman said:

Since the difference is about ten times (1,300 vs. 120), we might expect the price to be about ten times different, or around $1,500 for ASM #300 (when the Hulk #181 at the same age and grade was $15,000).  From that standpoint, $2,000 is too much. 

However, CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 is currently $34,000, so it's reasonable to assume CGC 9.8 ASM #300 might be closer $3,400 in ten years.

One possible "comparison item" for ASM #300 is the 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card.  Very, very common, almost the same age, but a graded Michael Jordan 1986 Fleer rookie card regularly sells for $2,000+ in "near mint" condition.  For grading, CGC 10 is perfect, CGC 9.9 is nearly perfect, and CGC 9.8 is next, and the graded sportscard market has 10, 9.5, and 9.0 (as the top 3 grades).  PSA Graded 9.0 (or just PSA 9) 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie cards sell around $7,000 to $9,000, and there are over 3,000 of them from PSA (grading company). In the next ten years, Venom will get at least another movie, and Michael Jordan will still be very much retired.

Edited by valiantman
corrected the number of ASM #300 CGC 9.8 from 1,400 to 1,300

6 minutes ago, valiantman said:

One possible "comparison item" for ASM #300 is the 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie card.  Very, very common, almost the same age, but a graded Michael Jordan 1986 Fleer rookie card regularly sells for $2,000+ in "near mint" condition.  For grading, CGC 10 is perfect, CGC 9.9 is nearly perfect, and CGC 9.8 is next, and the graded sportscard market has 10, 9.5, and 9.0 (as the top 3 grades).  PSA Graded 9.0 (or just PSA 9) 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan rookie cards sell around $7,000 to $9,000, and there are over 3,000 of them from PSA (grading company). In the next ten years, Venom will get at least another movie, and Michael Jordan will still be very much retired.

I'd be very happy if in ten years ASM 300 9.8 is $3400

29 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Well, it's interesting because ASM #300 is currently 32 years old.  Hulk #181 is another very common book, and was 32 years old in 2006.  So, on the one hand, you could say Hulk #181 has always been very common and buying one in 2006 might be "the ceiling", but we know that would not have been true.  A CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 when it was 32 years old (2006) would have cost $15,000.

It's hard to believe that $2,000 for ASM #300 isn't much money, but it is the same age now as CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 at $15,000 in 2006.  There are 1,400 CGC 9.8 ASM #300, while there were only 120 CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 in 2006.

Since the difference is about ten times (1,400 vs. 120), we might expect the price to be about ten times different, or around $1,500 for ASM #300 (when the Hulk #181 at the same age and grade was $15,000).  From that standpoint, $2,000 is too much. 

However, CGC 9.8 Hulk #181 is currently $34,000, so it's reasonable to assume CGC 9.8 ASM #300 might be closer $3,400 in ten years.

And I think if you compare popularity of the two characters making their first appearances (Wolverine&Venom) you can see the draw for the book too. But yes ASM 300 is over graded compared to Hulk 181.

There was a good deal of creativity involved with the whole idea of the symbiote to begin with. The idea itself was without a doubt an original idea! The way Michelinie and Mcfarlane then took that great idea into the stratosphere to make it a better creation was genius! So I think the innovation involved in the character is what people respond positively towards. People always like an original thought! Eddie Brock himself is an intriguing character with his conflictions and all. The character being drawn by one of the premier artists of that era (maybe the best) didn't hurt. I think everyone agrees the cool factor is off the charts with Venom!

I'll go against the grain here and say even though I love the cover I think they would have done better if they had venom featured on the cover. That being said the cover still kicks butt! 2c

Unfortunately this may be one of the biggest victims of this current situation now due to the volume of copies out there. People will undoubtedly put this up for auction for a quick buck. So it may go down in all grades before any increase happens. 

Edited by MGsimba77

5 hours ago, BaronSamedi said:

So if ASM 300 is one of the most iconic books of the 80s, what does that mean for the 90s? It's a buyers market!

Sadly, we're probably going to have to see New Mutants #98 represent the 1990s forever. 

Although, even without the value, the most iconic cover of the 1990s might be Superman #75 ripped cape cover.

13 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

I'll go against the grain here and say even though I love the cover I think they would have done better if they had venom featured on the cover. That being said the cover still kicks butt! 2c

If ASM #301 featured Venom on the cover, we'd probably look at ASM #301 like Hulk #181 and ASM #300 would be more like Hulk #180... but Venom isn't there on #301, or #302, and doesn't show up on the cover in full view until ASM #316. 

It's actually the delay between ASM #300 and ASM #316 that keeps ASM #300 "more iconic" even without Venom on the cover. hm 

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:
4 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Although, even without the value, the most iconic cover of the 1990s might be Superman #75 ripped cape cover.

Nice cover

Worthless book!

A few of the Superman #75 ripped cape cover editions were signed by Jerry Siegel before he died, so if you want one that isn't worthless... there's that option. lol

3 minutes ago, valiantman said:

If ASM #301 featured Venom on the cover, we'd probably look at ASM #301 like Hulk #181 and ASM #300 would be more like Hulk #180... but Venom isn't there on #301, or #302, and doesn't show up on the cover in full view until ASM #316. 

It's actually the delay between ASM #300 and ASM #316 that keeps ASM #300 "more iconic" even without Venom on the cover. hm 

I think it was a good move by Marvel, how they dealt with Venom....but where they failed is watering down the symbiotes....

How do you feel about the market now? And where do you see it in terms of value through the next year and throughout this pandemic?

4 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I think it was a good move by Marvel, how they dealt with Venom....but where they failed is watering down the symbiotes....

How do you feel about the market now? And where do you see it in terms of value through the next year and throughout this pandemic?

How do I feel about the ASM #300 market?  Any newsstand copies (CGC 9.2 or higher) that can be purchased for the same price as the direct editions are always a bargain. lol 

Edited by valiantman

Just now, valiantman said:

How do I feel about the ASM #300 market?  Any newsstand copies (CGC 9.2 or higher) that sell for the same price as the direct editions are always bargain. lol 

Speaking of newsstands...this one (below) sells for the same price as direct...but I mean in terms of the overall market...what should collectors worry about and what should they feel safe with?

20200323_223333.jpg

1 minute ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Speaking of newsstands...this one (below) sells for the same price as direct...but I mean in terms of the overall market...what should collectors worry about and what should they feel safe with?

20200323_223333.jpg

1980 was an early year for direct editions, so it's possible there are more high grade newsstand books from 1980.

The "flip" to the point where newsstands (in high grades) become less common probably happens around 1985 (give or take a couple years).  ASM #300 from 1988 is definitely fewer for high grade newsstand.

direct_newsstand.png

Until we have better numbers to prove what's going on, I don't usually see any extra value for high grade newsstands before 1983... and ASM #252 (1984) might be where they're about equal... but on #252 you throw in Canadian newsstand and the game gets a little weird. lol