• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 300
1 1

125 posts in this topic

Just now, MGsimba77 said:

Was there a disparity in the amount of total copies marvel printed between 1974 and 1988? Just referring to major titles. Would it be right to assume less total printings from earlier periods like the silver age?

Not really - decades ago, comics were a bigger thing (before cable television, home movie rentals, etc.) - but those earlier periods should have fewer surviving copies as the years went by. 

Comichron.com has some of that data for the Silver Age.  Here's 1966: https://comichron.com/yearlycomicssales/postaldata/1966.html

We're getting a better idea of what survived, but it's still quite fuzzy.  The problem with books like Hulk #181 is that there were 10,000+ copies saved/stolen/salvaged of each book that didn't get destroyed (as they were supposed to) through the normal course of things.  That one "warehouse" of books may have easily doubled the amount of surviving mid-1970s copies compared to what should be remaining today.  By 1988, though, you had comic shops selling direct editions to collectors who generally took care of their books and didn't let them get thrown away (as often)... so the collective actions of ten thousand collectors saving one direct edition copy each is about the same as 10,000 copies being saved by one profit-scheme, so we see much higher survival rates in the 1988 thanks to direct editions which didn't exist in the 1974.

On 4/21/2020 at 9:38 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Alright if that's you where'd you get that hat??? That is some killer gear man!🤘 

Yeah the "Air Jordan on the shoes" comparison fits well

I wish that was my hat! Im define999..... im the guy wearing the boring hat! LOL

35 minutes ago, Define999 said:

I wish that was my hat! Im define999..... im the guy wearing the boring hat! LOL

lol :roflmao: my bad man I didn't even notice your username. I just assumed you were the host for whatever reason. Don't sweat it bro your hat passes the cool test (thumbsu

Love this whole thread!  Just want to add one question for consideration. When did bagging and boarding comics become a thing?  I began collecting in 1983 and it was a thing at that time. It instilled me with some thought of taking care of the condition of my comics.  But when Hulk 181 came out how much thought was there to preserving the condition. 

23 hours ago, PhantomEwan said:

Love this whole thread!  Just want to add one question for consideration. When did bagging and boarding comics become a thing?  I began collecting in 1983 and it was a thing at that time. It instilled me with some thought of taking care of the condition of my comics.  But when Hulk 181 came out how much thought was there to preserving the condition. 

Maybe this question would have more responses in the Comics General section?

26 minutes ago, AlexG_art said:

I see a New listing for $4500 on ebay. It's not even autographed yet it's almost going for twice the books worth at a 9.8. 

Hopefully this isn't a trend. I'm still looking into getting a copy at that same grade. But not at that price....

Is it newstand or direct?

4 hours ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Prices still going up on this book.  Recent eBAY sales:

CGC 9.8

6.2K - signed by Stan and Todd

3K - Aug 14

2.95K - Aug 10

2.887 - Best offer accepted.  Aug 6

2.7K - Aug 6

CGC 9.6

975 - Aug 19

1K - Aug 17