• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man 300
1 1

125 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:
10 hours ago, Crushingame said:

There has to be some way to obtain the actual numbers/print run of each version. I mean someone out here has to have that info. 

i I guess not knowing gives us this great platform to discuss, debate and share our theories of the actual #’s

Valiantman would be the closest to know those numbers

Not knowing, but estimating.  The problem with "numbers printed" is that direct editions were printed by the publisher in order to "exist forever" (no return policy), while newsstands were printed by the publisher in order to "sell quickly, if possible, then be refunded/recycled".

Totally making up the numbers - let's say that there were 200,000 direct editions printed and there were 200,000 newsstand editions printed.  Just having that information would seem useful, but it wouldn't be.

Generally speaking, 40% to 60% of comic books on newsstands didn't sell.  They got refunded/recycled, thrown away - basically didn't exist after around 3 months from the time they were printed.

So, instead of thinking our numbers were 50/50 with the 200,000 direct editions and the 200,000 newsstands, the numbers would be more like 67% direct, 33% newsstand - even though they were printed as 50/50.

Throw the conditions of those surviving comics after three decades into the numbers and you can see where the original number printed could be 50/50 and the CGC 9.4 numbers could be 5-to-1 where there are 5 CGC 9.4 ASM #300 direct edition for every 1 CGC 9.4 ASM #300 newsstand.

Etc.

47 minutes ago, valiantman said:

Not knowing, but estimating.  The problem with "numbers printed" is that direct editions were printed by the publisher in order to "exist forever" (no return policy), while newsstands were printed by the publisher in order to "sell quickly, if possible, then be refunded/recycled".

Totally making up the numbers - let's say that there were 200,000 direct editions printed and there were 200,000 newsstand editions printed.  Just having that information would seem useful, but it wouldn't be.

Generally speaking, 40% to 60% of comic books on newsstands didn't sell.  They got refunded/recycled, thrown away - basically didn't exist after around 3 months from the time they were printed.

So, instead of thinking our numbers were 50/50 with the 200,000 direct editions and the 200,000 newsstands, the numbers would be more like 67% direct, 33% newsstand - even though they were printed as 50/50.

Throw the conditions of those surviving comics after three decades into the numbers and you can see where the original number printed could be 50/50 and the CGC 9.4 numbers could be 5-to-1 where there are 5 CGC 9.4 ASM #300 direct edition for every 1 CGC 9.4 ASM #300 newsstand.

Etc.

Good point. Didn’t think about the Newsstands being refunded/recycled affecting those numbers. 

54 minutes ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

IMO:

Does it really make the book more desirable? I mean, a barcode vs. direct edition logo in my opinion isn't worth it.

I'd rather look at, e.g. the logo on ASM #316 vs. a barcode.

I think it's more the ability for a newstand to stay in a high condition compared to a direct because when it comes to direct the LCS knows what they are getting and will try harder to preserve it....IMO 

5 hours ago, BigLeagueCHEW said:

IMO:

Does it really make the book more desirable? I mean, a barcode vs. direct edition logo in my opinion isn't worth it.

I'd rather look at, e.g. the logo on ASM #316 vs. a barcode.

There is always some value in a rare variant, and newsstands versions, especially in high grade, are rare. Those who search for harder-to-find books will buy the high grade newsstands first if the books were the same price. When newsstands are a little more expensive, they will still sell more quickly than the direct version => The newsstand version is worth more. ASM 300 has near universal desirability. Both are completely desirable and some people don't care if one version is harder to find than the other. That person isn't the reason the newsstand version is worth more, but the book is still worth more.