• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pen Ink Removal Off Cover
1 1

3 posts in this topic

Alrighty friends. I have a 8.0 Batman 251 (Neal Adams Cover) WITH pen on the cover. Thankfully its on the white part of the cover! I purchased the grader notes and it is definitely a grade bump candidate with just a press/clean. I would like to know if it is possible to completely remove the pen writing? It looks to be from a ball point pen. I attached pictures of the actual book and notes. Let me know your thoughts. Would really like a big bump in grade! My goal is to get this signed by Neal Adams one day. Lets say it is impossible to remove the ink completely, what would happen if I asked him to sign it exactly where the pen marking was? Let me know your thoughts!! Thanks!!

89146B6E-CBA9-4571-AFD1-A778B9A956E2.png

D1CC8DCE-36CF-4E2A-96A1-C8C3E3847250.jpeg

I cannot tell you whether that ink can be fully removed or not, however...

Take into consideration that if the ink removal is attempted or done the book may not come back with a Universal Blue Label, it may come back as a Gray Conserved Label or a Purple Restored Label, no way of knowing until it is submitted and graded.

https://www.cgccomics.com/comic-grading/labels/

Graders notes do constantly identify flaws that are causing the book to be downgraded, some flaws like small writing are there to just identify the book has not been tapered and the holder is original.   Not sure if a press and clean could get a grade bump as we do not have images of the entire book.   The question of signing over the writing, I do not see that as a way to mask the writing.