• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where is Restoration on FF1?

21 posts in this topic

Hi! I was recently browsing some eBay listings and came across a FF1 UK variant restored at a fairly reasonable price. I’ve always had an inclination towards UK variants over US variants because there are so little and they usually cost less, which is part of the reason I’m really interested in buying it. I contacted the seller asking where the color touch on the book was, but he was unable to give me a decisive answer. When further examining the book, I saw that someone had attempted to use pen on the back cover to “Complete” the ad. Could this be considered color touch? Is there anywhere on the front cover that looks like there is color touch? Thanks

364DD5FE-CF06-4946-A4D4-F35A62E27549.jpeg

9D45F1AE-9144-4F7F-8060-6FEAF5310E05.jpeg

4BC801D2-1C02-4F3E-83A8-D9D913773824.jpeg

I'm thinking it's the back cover fill-in. I'd call that writing on the cover, not color touch, but I guess it depends on the "intent" somewhat (which is always a tricky prospect as you would have to be able to read one's mind!). 

53 minutes ago, faster friends said:

Call and get the graders notes

Do the grader’s notes specify exactly where the color touch is? Also, would it specify where the tear seals are? If so, that would help me justify spending $10 on them.

32 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I don't see any attempt at CT on the front so the writing on the back must be it.

Do you think it would be possible to remove the writing? I’ve read really good things about Hero Restoration.

2 minutes ago, PopKulture said:

I'm thinking it's the back cover fill-in. I'd call that writing on the cover, not color touch, but I guess it depends on the "intent" somewhat (which is always a tricky prospect as you would have to be able to read one's mind!). 

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I would think it would be considered writing on the cover, but like with a lot of restoration, I guess CGC saw it as amateur attempt at “improving” the book. hm

1 minute ago, JoeJ said:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I would think it would be considered writing on the cover, but like with a lot of restoration, I guess CGC saw it as amateur attempt at “improving” the book. hm

I agree: it's tending towards that whole "improvement" stigma. Scribbling ironically would have probably resulted in a blue label.  doh!

17 minutes ago, JoeJ said:

Do you think it would be possible to remove the writing? I’ve read really good things about Hero Restoration.

If it's simply ball point pen, it can probably be carefully scraped off.  If it's "bleed thru" marker..... I don't know.

I think CGC was a bit harsh in giving it the purple label, because there was no attempt whatsoever to make it look good or match the "type".  Someone just took a pen and filled in what the words were.

It might be something you could call and ask about.

However..... you still need the graders notes to find out about the tear seals.

3 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

If it's simply ball point pen, it can probably be carefully scraped off.  If it's "bleed thru" marker..... I don't know.

I think CGC was a bit harsh in giving it the purple label, because there was no attempt whatsoever to make it look good or match the "type".  Someone just took a pen and filled in what the words were.

It might be something you could call and ask about.

However..... you still need the graders notes to find out about the tear seals.

Alright, I’ll probably end up just purchasing the grader notes. Luckily, it looks like they just used pen and not marker so I think it could be scraped off. 

Looks to me like there is a bunch of white-out on it, I would guess thats the 'color touch' if it is white out

Edit: maybe that's just staining from water damage, not sure after looking again...

Edited by OdinsSecrets

1 hour ago, faster friends said:

Call and get the graders notes

The graders notes typically do not mention exactly where color touch is. They might in this case mention front or back cover. But that is the extent of what the notes will say. 

I've seen restored books that it was absolutely impossible to determine where the CT was at until you removed the book from the slab. 

50 minutes ago, JoeJ said:

Do the grader’s notes specify exactly where the color touch is? Also, would it specify where the tear seals are? If so, that would help me justify spending $10 on them.

No. the graders notes will not say specifically where. 

Generally speaking, amateur ("C") restoration is not well suited to removal. Solvent thats removes ball point ink is going to strip off printer ink too.  It will not look good where that restoration was removed. 

That said, the book is a 2.0. CCS might be able to scrape the ink off and you end up with a 1.5 blue label. 

It's really hard to see in the photo, but I'd want to have a look at the black shape underneath Reed too.

As for scraping off the lettering, I wouldn't do it. It will have to take paper with it and scraping generally looks awful as well as removing material. 2c

48 minutes ago, Tony S said:

Generally speaking, amateur ("C") restoration is not well suited to removal. Solvent thats removes ball point ink is going to strip off printer ink too.  It will not look good where that restoration was removed. 

That said, the book is a 2.0. CCS might be able to scrape the ink off and you end up with a 1.5 blue label. 

The redraw of the back cover lettering; as ineffective at improving the condition as it may be, could be construed as color touch; the letters of the back cover have color and reapplying color where missing. I'm also seeing areas on the spine that appear whiter than the rest of the cover. I don't think these small areas are the pages showing through rifts in the spine, because the pages are not classified as white, but cream to off-white. So although the image perspective doesn't lend itself to more than a guess, there could be some type of white-out like touch up to the spine, couple of dabs of acrylic paint, or crayon, or wax pencil, etc., etc.,

14 hours ago, OdinsSecrets said:

Looks to me like there is a bunch of white-out on it, I would guess thats the 'color touch' if it is white out

Edit: maybe that's just staining from water damage, not sure after looking again...

Yeah, I couldn’t make out any color touch on the cover but there is a possibility that there may be some there. That’s why I was hoping the seller would know.

13 hours ago, Tony S said:

Since it would be the back cover I’m scraping, I wouldn’t be too worried about the damage caused. Since the printed ink isn’t where the pen was applied, I can’t imagine it would look too bad. And, if I did end up getting a blue 1.5 label, I would much prefer it over the 2.0 restored. It’s just a matter of if it would make financial sense when it’s all said and done.

1 minute ago, comicginger1789 said:

Um so even if you scrape off the writing (if that is the colour touch CGC is referencing), wouldn't it still get restored grade with the tear seals all along the leading edge and spine??

I would also have to remove those too which is part of the reason I’m so hesitant to purchase it, especially if there is color touch on the spine too.

Well then, I think you are shredding it down to a 1.8 at least, possibly a 1.5.

Granted, I dunno what the UK variant goes for. I get its rarer but for me, if I am gonna drop $5-7K on a mess copy of FF1, it had better have that nice 10 cent bubble on it!

Edited by comicginger1789

15 hours ago, JoeJ said:

If your interested in buying a restored book for $4,000.   You need to evaluate how you could invest $10.00 in grader note information to evaluate the purchase.  I'm not willing to give you any advice if your not willing to buy the notes.