• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Frazetta Facts
7 7

348 posts in this topic

20 hours ago, The Lions Den said:

If there is, I haven't seen their work...

Completely agree.  Frazetta took his various influences of Foster, Raymond, St. John, etc. and took things to a completely different level.  I think a strong argument can be made that Frazetta is the greatest cover artist of all time, without exception.  Many have imitated his work, some quite well (Ken Kelly, Boris) but none of them have the sense of action, power, composition, and dynamism that Frazetta created on his various paintings.  I love many of the Spanish artists that worked on Warrens, as well.  But they don't hold a candle to the master's work.

I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about this very question and I can't think of any artist working today that comes even close to that accomplishment.  Frankly, I can't even imagine what that would look like.  2c

12 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Completely agree.  Frazetta took his various influences of Foster, Raymond, St. John, etc. and took things to a completely different level.  I think a strong argument can be made that Frazetta is the greatest cover artist of all time, without exception.  Many have imitated his work, some quite well (Ken Kelly, Boris) but none of them have the sense of action, power, composition, and dynamism that Frazetta created on his various paintings.  I love many of the Spanish artists that worked on Warrens, as well.  But they don't hold a candle to the master's work.

I've spent a fair amount of time thinking about this very question and I can't think of any artist working today that comes even close to that accomplishment.  Frankly, I can't even imagine what that would look like.  2c

Well said, Douglas!   

The only other thing I could add to this statement is the amazing amount of detail he included in many of his paintings. It's like Frank was showing us a different world that only he could see...   

6 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Well said, Douglas!   

The only other thing I could add to this statement is the amazing amount of detail he included in many of his paintings. It's like Frank was showing us a different world that only he could see...   

Amen, sir!  (thumbsu

1 minute ago, wombat said:

Awesome. Did it also have that stained glass with it?

Yep.  It was, like we discussed, as issued.  Original box and everything.  The seller even thoughtfully crafted a custom box to protect the original for shipping.  Thanks again for pointing it out!  (thumbsu

3 minutes ago, Randall Dowling said:

Yep.  It was, like we discussed, as issued.  Original box and everything.  The seller even thoughtfully crafted a custom box to protect the original for shipping.  Thanks again for pointing it out!  (thumbsu

I just wanted to see a better pic of the glass then what you see in listings. :baiting:

No. Not the art books. These are catalogs Frazetta put out where you could order prints from them. Its definitely a bit confusing because they title these the same as the art books. You can see on the bottom is says "catalog #" as an easy way to spot the difference just from the cover. 

For many, the mere mention of Heavy Metal magazine brings to mind images of Frank Frazetta’s iconic cover paintings — and, thanks to a new partnership between Heavy Metal Entertainment and the Frazetta Art Museum, it’s a combination that will continue for some time.

The new agreement will allow for Heavy Metal to feature Frazetta’s artwork in future issues, including special features and variant covers spotlighting the artist. Images curated by the museum and magazine will be selected for use on covers and merchandise starting next year, with Heavy Metal planning at least four Frazetta covers in 2021.

“There are few brands in the world that demand the respect of my father's art. When Heavy Metal approached us, it was clear that these two great visionary brands sharing a combined goal makes for an exciting time,” Frank Frazetta, Jr., owner and operator of the Frazetta Art Museum, said in a statement.

“When talking about fine art, genre art or comics, the name Frazetta will always come to mind. If you couple that with the brand Heavy Metal, then there is no name more synonymous with genre-bending art than Frank,” added Heavy Metal CEO Matthew Medney. “Bringing Frank Frazetta and his art back to Heavy Metal in a meaningful, thought-provoking way is not only a proud moment for the Heavy Metal team, but something our extraordinary community deserves.”

The first fruits of the new partnership will be next year’s Heavy Metal No. 305, which will feature a special cover showcasing a self-portrait of the artist (debuted below), as well as an interview with Frazetta Jr. to talk about his father’s artwork, legacy and the museum. Also in the issue will be Matthew Medney’s Dark Wing, and the launch of Ron Marz’s Swamp God and Bart and Michelle Sears’ Maiden. The issue will be released February 2021.

Frank Frazetta Heavy Metal Cover