• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage Auctions& Ebay

19 posts in this topic

Hi

I personally don't do alot of auctions. Mostly when it comes to my collection, I just see something I like and I buy it...recently (0538 this morning) I created an account with Heritage Auctions, I am also a member of Ebay, where I purchase alot of my books from....

I am wondering if someone cares to explain the difference in bidding practices between the two companies?

Also...how do you feel about the practices and procedures of the two companies?

I noticed on a couple books that I like that the bidding is 21 days out (HA)...are there bids that are same day bidding?

Thanks for any feedback that will help me understand Heritage Auctions a little better...I really appreciate it

And stay safe...

With Heritage, they charge a buyers premium.  In their focused auction, they accept online bids for a number of days, then the books are auctioned off live.  You don't need to be present to take place in the live auction bidding.  You can do live, online bids, and view the auction in real time.      

3 minutes ago, comicdonna said:

With Heritage, they charge a buyers premium.  In their focused auction, they accept online bids for a number of days, then the books are auctioned off live.  You don't need to be present to take place in the live auction bidding.  You can do live, online bids, and view the auction in real time.      

Thanks

If you are in Canada, which it appears you are, you need to be aware of the shipping cost from Heritage or even Comiclink. Heritage will charge around $50 (USD) for a slabbed comic and you may also get hit with import fees which, depending on the price of the comic can add another $20-30 to your purchase price. Comiclink also charges  around $70 for shipping a single slab north of the border. For the shipping cost alone, I am always wary about buying from either of those two unless I get a great deal on a book I need.

25 minutes ago, dhgladiator said:

If you are in Canada, which it appears you are, you need to be aware of the shipping cost from Heritage or even Comiclink. Heritage will charge around $50 (USD) for a slabbed comic and you may also get hit with import fees which, depending on the price of the comic can add another $20-30 to your purchase price. Comiclink also charges  around $70 for shipping a single slab north of the border. For the shipping cost alone, I am always wary about buying from either of those two unless I get a great deal on a book I need.

Thanks!

I've bought alot of books off Ebay and the import charges have been ridiculous!

Just now, Hollywood1892 said:

Thanks!

I've bought alot of books off Ebay and the import charges have been ridiculous!

Your best bet Chris is to only buy from dealers on ebay who implement the GSP (global shipping program). Your shipping charges may be slightly higher, but you will not pay any import duty. I don't use any ebay sellers, personally who don't use the program. 2c

25 minutes ago, G G ® said:

Your best bet Chris is to only buy from dealers on ebay who implement the GSP (global shipping program). Your shipping charges may be slightly higher, but you will not pay any import duty. I don't use any ebay sellers, personally who don't use the program. 2c

Thanks

6 hours ago, Hollywood1892 said:

Hi

I personally don't do alot of auctions. Mostly when it comes to my collection, I just see something I like and I buy it...recently (0538 this morning) I created an account with Heritage Auctions, I am also a member of Ebay, where I purchase alot of my books from....

I am wondering if someone cares to explain the difference in bidding practices between the two companies?

Also...how do you feel about the practices and procedures of the two companies?

I noticed on a couple books that I like that the bidding is 21 days out (HA)...are there bids that are same day bidding?

Thanks for any feedback that will help me understand Heritage Auctions a little better...I really appreciate it

And stay safe...

HA does weekly auctions, and sometimes they have some pretty heavy hitters in there but they also do the standard April, July, December etc major auctions where you can find the 5 and 6 figure books. There are no same day auctions. You are also not likely to find too many "killer deals" on HA because of the large buyers premium + tax + shipping but you can find rare books you wouldnt find elsewhere. I have found their service to be great as a buyer, but have not tried as a seller. 

14 minutes ago, Pokecollectoramy said:

HA does weekly auctions, and sometimes they have some pretty heavy hitters in there but they also do the standard April, July, December etc major auctions where you can find the 5 and 6 figure books. There are no same day auctions. You are also not likely to find too many "killer deals" on HA because of the large buyers premium + tax + shipping but you can find rare books you wouldnt find elsewhere. I have found their service to be great as a buyer, but have not tried as a seller. 

I have not sold on HA, but buying has been fine.  The live bidding does not allow for any sniping on books because it goes back and forth with each bid until time runs out, so typically it is harder to find a good price.  All of the proxy bidding before the live auction starts is just to run the price higher so that live bidding typically starts closer to the final price. 
As a seller, I'm assuming that HA keeps the buyer's premium?  I don't know what percentage goes to the seller but again it seems like it could be slightly worse.  I have not read all of the rules/fees for selling there.

Edited by 90sChild

1 minute ago, 90sChild said:

I have not sold on HA, but buying has been fine.  The live bidding does not allow for any sniping on books because it goes back and forth with each bid until time runs out, so typically it is harder to find a good price.  As a seller, I'm assuming that HA keeps the buyer's premium?  I don't know what percentage goes to the seller but again it seems like it could be slightly worse.  I have not read all of the rules/fees for selling there.

Correct, HA keeps the entire buyers premium and ALSO keeps 10%-15% of your sales price as well. HA makes about 30% per sale, unless you are a very big seller and can negotiate your fee down.

Just now, Pokecollectoramy said:

Correct, HA keeps the entire buyers premium and ALSO keeps 10%-15% of your sales price as well. HA makes about 30% per sale, unless you are a very big seller and can negotiate your fee down.

Ok that seems a bit insane to me, I'll stick to the 10% of all the other brokers.  Usually all bidders will factor in the buyer's premium to their max spend, so a book that sells for $1000 on comiclink will get $800 on HA with 20% buyer's premium, it will say sold for $1000 after the item ends.  The fact they take nearly 30-35% off that $1000 seems unbearable as a seller.

48 minutes ago, G G ® said:

This is excellent advice.  I would also add you should consider buying here as well if you haven't already.  Just make sure to read the shipping options but many reputable dealers sell here with great books at great prices, and most have experience shipping to Canada. 

7 hours ago, BaronSamedi said:

Why don't you find a different hobby?

I shouldn't have said this. I'm sorry

7 hours ago, BaronSamedi said:

Don't be so sensitive!

But in all honesty, you are a bit taxing. I mean from what I hear, most of your collection is made of spec, you spend money on books that have already 'Popped', you come on the site and ask questions about HA & Ebay, why don't you research it?

I was way out of line here. I'm sorry

7 hours ago, G G ® said:

Why don't you find a different place to be a troll?

You are right.

I shouldn't have acted the way I did. There is no excuse.

I'm sorry

6 hours ago, G G ® said:

Totally disagree, and most Canadians avoid any sellers using GSP.   Not only are shipping charges generally higher, but they tack on large import duties that don't exist for comics!  Total scam.   I also made the huge mistake of purchasing a 2x slabs from a seller that was using the GSP.  It was insulting and painful enough to pay duties,  but then I realized you cannot combine shipping from sellers using GSP!  That was a tough one to have to swallow, but never again.  Buyer beware....  I have NEVER been charged for import duties for comics coming from the USA for regular sellers not using GSP.

Also, the buyers premium usually keeps me away from HA unless I'm purchasing original art or it's a 'must have' comic.

I just won an action for 6x slabs at ComicLink, and shipping was $75. Just make sure you get them to ship using USPS - very important.  Otherwise the couriers will also charge brokerage fees when package arrives (another money grab).  I believe it would be $30 for 6x slabs for Americans?  I have a USA address (NY) I often use (live close to the border), but for higher $ auctions it makes more sense to have it shipped to Canada anyways.  Because ComicLink collects taxes for NY residents (or states?),  it actually ends up costing close to the same.

Edited by SuperZar

3 minutes ago, SuperZar said:

Totally disagree, and most Canadians avoid any sellers using GSP.   Not only are shipping charges generally higher, but they tack on large import duties that don't exist for comics!  Total scam.   I also made the huge mistake of purchasing a 2x slabs from a seller that was using the GSP.  It was insulting and painful enough to pay duties,  but then I realized you cannot combine shipping from sellers using GSP!  That was a tough one to have to swallow, but never again.  Buyer beware....  I have NEVER been charged for import duties for comics coming from the USA for regular sellers not using GSP.

Also, the buyers premium usually keeps me away from HA unless I'm purchasing original art or it's a 'must have' comic.

I just won an action for 6x slabs at ComicLink, and shipping was $75. Just make sure you get them to ship using USPS - very important.  Otherwise the couriers will also charge brokerage fees when package arrives (another money grab).  I believe it would be $30 for 6x slabs for Americans?  I have a USA address (NY) I often use (live close to the border), but for higher $ auctions it makes more sense to have it shipped to Canada anyways.  Because ComicLink collects taxes for NY residents (or states?),  it actually ends up costing close to the same.

Well I can only apologise if I gave bad advice for Canucks. :sorry:

I am in the UK and believe me the GSP totally eliminates import charges and ensures worry free shipping and safe passage for the buyer. I assumed it was the same for Canada, but guess not then. 

46 minutes ago, G G ® said:

Well I can only apologise if I gave bad advice for Canucks. :sorry:

I am in the UK and believe me the GSP totally eliminates import charges and ensures worry free shipping and safe passage for the buyer. I assumed it was the same for Canada, but guess not then. 

No worries.  There is a trade agreement between Canada-USA (NAFTA).  There are no duties for products going across the border if they were manufactured in either country.  Comics have always been printed in either Canada/USA.  If they came from overseas or anywhere else, there would likely be duties imposed.  I regularly cross the Canada-USA border, with $1000+ in comics. Border services only collects the GST (federal 5% tax) when getting back into Canada. Never any duties.  

Edited by SuperZar