• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JUMANJI 4 in development (TBD)
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Jumanji 4 Confirmed To Be In Early Development

Jumanji-2-snowy-mountain.jpg?q=50&fit=cr

Director Jake Kasdan has confirmed Jumanji 4 is in early development. The Jumanji movies kicked off in 1995 with Joe Johnston's original film, which reimagined Chris Van Allsburg's illustrated 1981 children's book as a family-friendly adventure starring Robin Williams. While Johnston's adaptation was a box office success, it didn't get a followup until the 2017 sequel-reboot, Welcome to the Jungle. Featuring an all-new cast led by Dwayne Johnson, the revival was an unexpected smash-hit and a sequel titled The Next Level was released almost exactly two years later in December 2019.

Overall, The Next Level was another win for the franchise, grossing $797 million worldwide and earning mostly positive reviews (though not as good as those for Welcome to the Jungle). The film even included a post-credits scene directly setting the stage for Jumanji 4, based on the assumption the third Jumanji movie would do well enough to justify making another one. That's exactly what happened and we now have confirmation the next installment is moving forward, albeit slower than anticipated because of the coronavirus pandemic.

During a recent interview, Collider got an update on Jumanji 4 from Welcome to the Jungle and The Next Level helmsman Kasdan. The filmmaker revealed the sequel is currently in the earliest stages of development, saying "We were just getting into the conversation before this global calamity and we will re-engage it as soon as everybody’s settled." He went on to say he wants the plot for Jumanji 4 to be "exciting on its own two feet in a way that’s comparable to what the first two were for me," before reiterating he and his team are still in "the earliest days of trying to figure out what that would be."

One of the biggest twists in The Next Level involves the villain Jurgen the Brutal (Game of Thrones' Rory McCann), who's revealed to have strengths and weaknesses much like the heroic avatars in the Jumanji video game. In a social media post from late last year, Johnson confirmed Jurgen is also a playable avatar and teased Jumanji 4 will reveal who's been playing him in the real world. Kasdan further alluded to the idea during his interview with Collider, saying he "would love to" reveal The Next Level's hidden villain in the next installment. In addition, The Next Level's credits scene suggested Jumanji 4 will take place in the real world, much like the original Jumanji movie did. If so, it opens the door to all sorts of possibilities, not least of which is the Jumanji video game avatars and series' young heroes meeting face to face.

48 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

i bet if my 5 year old was a little older i'd be forced to watch this series with him. lol. 

Oh, that day is coming. Count on it. You too will get to sit through 'PLAYMOBIL'. (:

In late 2019, Johnson hinted at a potential Jumanji 4, and those plans were confirmed by Kasdan in March last year. More recently, Johnson’s producing partner Garcia has spoken with Collider and suggested that they are currently working hard on the next film, ensuring that they get it right. Check out what he had to say below:

"We’re very focused on delivering the best version of that story. Obviously when you’re fortunate enough to bring a team back together for the third time you want to knock it out of the park. It’s important for us to deliver something big for the fans while still expanding on our Jumanji story. So we are drilling down deep and collaborating closely with our writers, director Jake [Kasdan] and producing partner on this Matt [Tolmach]."

While Garcia’s update is good news for Jumanji fans, the big question will be whether or not Johnson and his team will be able to lure Jack Black for another outing. In late 2019, Black famously announced that Jumanji: The Next Level would possibly be his last film, saying that he is “kind of enjoying the idea of early retirement”. That announcement aside, however, Black has been confirmed to be providing the voice of Claptrap for the upcoming Borderlands film adaptation, so perhaps those retirement plans have not yet swung into full effect.

• THR: And lastly, who do we blame for the next Jumanji being stuck in neutral?
  • Karen Gillan: If you find out, can you let me know? (Laughs.) Because I don’t know. I’m sure it’s tricky to wrangle everyone’s schedules, but I haven’t heard anything about it other than the fact that we will be doing it at some point. So we’re all so enthusiastic about it. We all love working on those films, and it’s just a matter of when.