• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed for a ebay problem - I'm the seller
3 3

154 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, kav said:

While I agree this is better I have seen buyers say "There is no way this is in the VG+ to FN range!!"
Because they are a dolt.  Remember you will be selling to dolts, on ebay.

Well look, yeah, there's no getting around the mouthbreathers on the bay. My wife knows my exasperated sigh very well: "What's wrong? Another insufficiently_thoughtful_person question on ebay?" It's pretty common. So yeah, I do agree and understand that the intelligence of your general eBayer isn't terribly high, but that said, for the number of eyes eBay gets on your items, it's worth the tradeoff. I have to answer a few dumb questions, sure, but stuff tends to sell quicker there than anywhere else, for me. And by using the methods outlined above, I tend to do ok. In fact, I can't even recall the last time I had a book returned due to a disagreement on grading. 

25 minutes ago, zeezee said:

I thought I did,  I uploaded images, defined what CGC is to the PayPal rep, I was assured I was in the right, lost the dispute. I challenged the dispute,  spoked to higher ups, again i was assured that I was in the right. But same result, they always back the buyer.

They do not always back the buyer.  @Buzzetta can prove this.

For when its time to sell a book on ebay... why bother with a description?  just take as many pics as you can and let them do the talking.  I have sold electronics before on ebay and i would send them the pics that i took with the product as well as a note that i took a pic of the serial number as well to prevent fake DOA claims.  (i have scammed myself with the "this dont work and send back my defective peice" routine so it takes a con man to see a con.. ;) )

Edited by god503

1 hour ago, god503 said:

For when its time to sell a book on ebay... why bother with a description?  just take as many pics as you can and let them do the talking.  I have sold electronics before on ebay and i would send them the pics that i took with the product as well as a note that i took a pic of the serial number as well to prevent fake DOA claims.  (i have scammed myself with the "this dont work and send back my defective peice" routine so it takes a con man to see a con.. ;) )

Yeah, that seems like a good thing to admit here. :popcorn:

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

Yeah, that seems like a good thing to admit here. :popcorn:

I tend to be honest, which THAT seems to be a good thing here.  But I guess NO ONE IN HERE have done anything wrong or tried to get one up on the competition, right? I really hate holier than thou people...   Because NO SELLER has ever overstated a condition on a comic... right?  SOOOOO many raw self declared 9.8 books  on ebay....  Why buy slab books then????    This may come as a shock to you but I do not care what you think of me.  I can admit i am not an angel...  Im over 40, wasn't born an angel and definitely not going to die an angel. But i still like my chances when i get to st. peters's gate.  Cheers

Edited by god503

8 hours ago, JollyComics said:

OP hasn't responded or made any comments here.  Is he overwhelmed here?

Nope, not overwhelmed. I was waiting to hear back from the buyer, who said he was going to contact CGC. I figured he wouldn't be able to reach them until Monday.

The buyer contacted me again last night demanding to know why I haven't settled this yet, and demanded half the sale price as a refund. (2 days earlier, he told me he wanted to return the book for a full refund because it graded a 3.0 and had CT.) He wasn't rude, but he was pushy. I told him it wasn't that simple, and that I don't offer partial refunds. I would fully refund his purchase price and postage both ways, but he needs to send me back the book I sold him in the condition I sold it. I said since the book was damaged while in his custody, he obviously can't do that. We would have to determine the value of the book with a detached cover, and I will subtract that lost value from his refund. Unsurprisingly, he did not agree to that. He sent me a huffy message that he was just going to eat the losses and keep the book. There was a bit of "I have too much to worry about right now with all this pandemic stuff, I am in a high risk group yadda yadda yadda" and he capped it off with a "guys like you make me wish I hadn't served the country for 28 years in the army". I think he knew he had a weak hand, and was hoping I wouldn't call his bluff. I suspect he'll try and get some money back from CGC.

To answer a few other questions from earlier in the thread, I don't want to ID the original seller of the book, because none of this is his fault, and I don't want anyone to drag him. I have no doubt he would have made it right if I brought it up to him when I bought the book, and I suspect he might even do something if I told him now.

The buyer made these refund demands through regular messages. He did not file a claim. I know he still could, but think if he could have, he would have. I feel better knowing that I offered a full refund twice before (once before the book went to CGC, and once when I found out there was CT but before I knew about the detached cover). In a dispute, I think it shows a "paper trail" of being reasonable and fair with the buyer.

The only specific reply I wanted to make was to @Beige: You said I should refund the buyer, take back the book and demand recompense from CGC. I did not engage in a transaction with CGC, and do not think they are going to refund me for a book someone else paid for. But thanks for offering your input.

So thanks, everyone, for your advice and comments!

3 minutes ago, stock_rotation said:

"guys like you make me wish I hadn't served the country for 28 years in the army".

True army heroes do not use their service as some trump card to get their way over ebay transactions.  Lame.  Remember there are various jobs in the military.  Working in the PX does not make you some hero.

7 minutes ago, kav said:

True army heroes do not use their service as some trump card to get their way over ebay transactions.  Lame.  Remember there are various jobs in the military.  Working in the PX does not make you some hero.

The guy shouldn't be boasting or using his service record as a platform, but I think he was just lashing out the only way he had left.  He didn't claim to be a hero.  Anyone who serves in the military for 28 years, or ANY years, deserves our respect, no matter the situation.  Nothing can change the fact that they contributed, probably much more than the average American.