• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice needed for a ebay problem - I'm the seller
3 3

154 posts in this topic

Just now, Batgirlwholaughs said:

Talking about raw and slab gets me tingling

settle down.

41 minutes ago, kav said:

Legally, its buyer beware.  If a seller sells a car and does not know there's a mechanical problem, they are not obligated to return your money.  Likewise with resto.  The onus is not on the seller to be as knowledgeable about resto as a team of CGC graders, just as someone selling car on craigs list is not expected to be a master mechanic who has gone thru the vehicle with a fine toothed comb.
Sellers of raw books on ebay are not expected to be magic filters that gurantee a blue label slab for every book.  Thats expecting a CGC book at raw prices.

So you are afraid to grade a raw book, you are too lazy to learn about restoration, and you won't take a return if the buyer finds any? 

Can you share your eBay name? Asking for a friend who wants to add you to his buy from when hell freezes over favorite special sellers list.

1 minute ago, october said:

So you are afraid to grade a raw book, you are too lazy to learn about restoration, and you won't take a return if the buyer finds any? 

Can you share your eBay name? Asking for a friend who wants to add you to his buy from when hell freezes over favorite special sellers list.

sure it is ReadMyReplyMoreCarefully5543

2 minutes ago, kav said:

sure it is ReadMyReplyMoreCarefully5543

Maybe take 1/1,000th of the time you spend posting on here and devote it to restoration detection and car repair. You would be the foremost expert in both in no time. 

1 minute ago, october said:

Maybe take 1/1,000th of the time you spend posting on here and devote it to restoration detection and car repair. You would be the foremost expert in both in no time. 

Settle down.

1 hour ago, kav said:

Ignore the complaints abt not giving grades.  When I gave grades it was headache city.  People disagree with CGC grades all the time so what chance does a mere mortal have?  If anything I have noticed an increase in bid amounts and have had not a single return or complaint since I started listing no grades.  Give it a whirl.

Please don’t 

We seem to have 2 camps here-one camp demands a grade and a guarantee.  The other camp realizes they are not omniscient and just wants to sell books to the best of their ability.
I actually stopped giving grades when one buyer complained about my grades.  I checked his auctions and saw that he himself never gave grades on his books-but he wanted them when he was buying.  

4 minutes ago, kav said:

We seem to have 2 camps here-one camp demands a grade and a guarantee.  The other camp realizes they are not omniscient and just wants to sell books to the best of their ability.
I actually stopped giving grades when one buyer complained about my grades.  I checked his auctions and saw that he himself never gave grades on his books-but he wanted them when he was buying.  

It’s not rocket science.  If you know how to grade, put a grade on the books you’re selling.:makepoint:

6 minutes ago, kav said:

I'll buy books I like from people not guaranteeing grades. The way I look at it, I have enough reasons to be angry, I don't  need to create more

1 minute ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

It’s not rocket science.  If you know how to grade, put a grade on the books you’re selling.:makepoint:

It is rocket science tho-ppl disagree with CGC grades all the time.  I have heard that CGC gives different grades to the same book when resubmitted at times. 
Look-even if I gave a grade that was 100% accurate, there will still be buyers that disagree with it.  Why even open that can of worms?  Why give grades when my selling actually seems to be more effective when I dont give them?
It's gonna be a no from me.

1 minute ago, kav said:

It is rocket science tho-ppl disagree with CGC grades all the time.  I have heard that CGC gives different grades to the same book when resubmitted at times. 
Look-even if I gave a grade that was 100% accurate, there will still be buyers that disagree with it.  Why even open that can of worms?  Why give grades when my selling actually seems to be more effective when I dont give them?

You do you 

14 minutes ago, kav said:

It's not an unethical quandary to post estimations or not. I list what I think they are and haven't had problems, but I've bought from sellers who don't list grades. As I said it's not "unethical" :) 

Kav can do what he wants :makepoint: 

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Kav can do what he wants :makepoint: 

I recommend others do it too-to avoid headaches.  But if people want headaches they can also do them.

8 minutes ago, kav said:

I recommend others do it too-to avoid headaches.  But if people want headaches they can also do them.

I prefer the talk of it's optional, or you don't have too. Legally binding contracts are all about terms. If you label terms you should be responsible for them within the realm of contract as this thread would suggest.

If you can get by without needlessly putting yourself in a corner, then more power to you.

Personally I usually only sell slabs and sling cgc swag, but the raws I've sold I've undergraded and put up for a decent price. They've sold and um happy :)

haven't had a complaint but that caveat goes both ways, there will be partial refund people out to rip people, and that IS unethical....

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

26 minutes ago, kav said:

You can see your purist attitude coming through here tho...I'd say when CGC gives different grades maybe they missed something first time around or they were being over harsh (my slabbist attitude)

:foryou:

6 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

I'd say when CGC gives different grades maybe they missed something first time around or they were being over harsh (my slabbist attitude)

This has been known to happen over the years since inception for sure. The reason being different personnel over different periods IMO.