• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shipping to CGC - Registered or Priority Mail?
3 3

31 posts in this topic

Just wanted to see what most folks do when shipping books to CGC for grading (those that use the USPS). Specifically for a large group of books valued at around 15-20k. Do you ship priority knowing that they’re insured with your own private insurance (collectibles policy which I’m told covers them during shipping) or do you still ship registered mail with the 15-20k insurance through the USPS? I typically submit my books at shows but that ain’t happening for the time being! Thanks 

lots of pictures, before, during and after packing and preparing, including paperwork, and that the declaration of content matches with the content of the package. registered does not automatically assure anything, except a package was mailed by registered mail. 

On 4/12/2020 at 11:34 AM, Gaard said:

Are there big/any differences in shipping procedures/handling between the two? I understand RM is entered into the system at each stop, but isn't Priority also?

Have to wrap in brown paper using gum tape. They stamp all the seams to provide evidence of tampering. There’s a strict chain of custody where each person who handles it signs for it, and it gets locked in a cage over night... Also goes in a locked bag I believe...

Edited by Callaway29

I have a policy with CIS (Collectibles Insurance Services) for $30,000, but had to get a "Signature Required Shipment Coverage" rider to be covered for comics shipped.  This is different from "Away from Scheduled Premises & Personal Travel Coverage", which would cover your inventory at a show, for instance.  The Shipping rider covers me for $3,000 (10% of the full inventory coverage), so I make sure the "finished grading value" of the submission will be under $3,000, not the raw value.  The Shipping coverage also has a $200 deductible.  The riders are separate from the typical policy, so even though you were "told" that you have coverage, I would advise that you are CERTAIN that you have coverage - see it in writing on your policy, know the limits, know the deductible, examine the fine print. 

Since I am covered by CIS, I ship by Priority Mail with Signature Confirmation and insure it for the $200 that would normally be the deductible.  So between the 2, I am fully covered.  For a shipment as large as you are sending, maybe Registered is a good idea anyway.

The return shipping by CGC through USPS seemed very high to me, so I opened my own FedEx account.  I filled out a CGC Shipping Form (CGC will provide this) that allows them to use my FedEx account, and each shipment is sent Signature Required to conform to the insurance performance standard.  It's a lot of money, so you have to watch for all the pitfalls.

11 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

Registered with that value, but I must admit...I find myself rolling the dice more and more. I’ve honestly never had a mail mishap so maybe I’m getting complacent.

+1.  Insurance is for suckers.  Lol.

48 minutes ago, loganparker said:

Thanks for all the feedback. Looking like registered mail is probably going to be the way I go just to be safe. 

I guess the fees for Registered Mail vary according to the face value of the item.  If it's a $1000 item, the cost is $16.95 for the added service of Registered Mail.  If it's a $20,000 item, the cost to add Registered Mail is $49.25.  I was surprised to see that it goes all the way to $50k, if needed.

46 minutes ago, ThothAmon said:

+1.  Insurance is for suckers.  Lol.

It can depend on the situation.  I self-insure under $100 on media mail, and Priority has a free $100 for commercial shippers.  Over that, I include it, but I'm only paying $.80 per $100 of coverage.  Cheap enough to add it.  I use PirateShip.com.  And the shipping fee I charge has a little room in it, so it's not even my money I'm using for the insurance.  That buys a lot of peace of mind.

1 hour ago, loganparker said:

Thanks for all the feedback. Looking like registered mail is probably going to be the way I go just to be safe. 

A wise choice.... 
With priority/express mail the maximum insurance you can even purchase is $5K.  With registered it is $50K.  And insurance costs far less once the package is registered. 

Many - including myself - have private shipping insurance. If that is the case Priority mail with a couple of hundred dollars worth of insurance and requiring a signature will work well. But even with my private shipping policy (good for $50K) there comes a point for me that I still ship RM. 

The idea that "nothing has ever gotten lost or damaged so paying for insurance is not worth while" is....not logical. The old saying is that "It doesn't matter if the odds were a thousand to one IF YOU ARE THE ONE....."  On these very boards over the years  there have been far too many posts from people greatly, GREATLY upset that a book worth 10K has gone missing at FedEx or UPS. Always, ALWAYS the poster says they did not understand the risk. Was not made clear to them. Bottom line is FedEx and UPS do not like to insure items where the value of the item is based on it being a collectible.  On the way back from CGC you have $100 in insurance from UPS/FedEx. Period. On the way there you MIGHT be able to purchase up to $5K in insurance. But only if the clerk is new or doesn't know the rules.  Trust me - the claims adjuster knows the rules. If most of an items value is based on it being a collectible, UPS and FedEx aren't settling a lost or damage claim for more than a grand. 

So yeah. Register it. Insure it for what it is worth. USPS doesn't want to write you a check for $15K. They want to deliver the package. 

41 minutes ago, Tony S said:

A wise choice.... 
With priority/express mail the maximum insurance you can even purchase is $5K.  With registered it is $50K.  And insurance costs far less once the package is registered. 

Many - including myself - have private shipping insurance. If that is the case Priority mail with a couple of hundred dollars worth of insurance and requiring a signature will work well. But even with my private shipping policy (good for $50K) there comes a point for me that I still ship RM. 

The idea that "nothing has ever gotten lost or damaged so paying for insurance is not worth while" is....not logical. The old saying is that "It doesn't matter if the odds were a thousand to one IF YOU ARE THE ONE....."  On these very boards over the years  there have been far too many posts from people greatly, GREATLY upset that a book worth 10K has gone missing at FedEx or UPS. Always, ALWAYS the poster says they did not understand the risk. Was not made clear to them. Bottom line is FedEx and UPS do not like to insure items where the value of the item is based on it being a collectible.  On the way back from CGC you have $100 in insurance from UPS/FedEx. Period. On the way there you MIGHT be able to purchase up to $5K in insurance. But only if the clerk is new or doesn't know the rules.  Trust me - the claims adjuster knows the rules. If most of an items value is based on it being a collectible, UPS and FedEx aren't settling a lost or damage claim for more than a grand. 

So yeah. Register it. Insure it for what it is worth. USPS doesn't want to write you a check for $15K. They want to deliver the package. 

Excellent analysis and advice. I like your reasoning. Registered it is! Thanks 

Registered Mail is slow as molasses. I've had packages take 3 days just to get out Florida leaving CGC, spending each night in a new city. But it's the most secure transport you'll get short of doing the drive yourself (which I did with a 400-book submission years and years ago).

Theft from UPS and FedEx hubs happens all the time. And it's buried in the Terms and Conditions of both carriers that your package has to be able to survive a 5-foot freefall drop from one conveyor belt to another.

Theft of mail (Registered or otherwise) is heavily prosecuted. And Registered Mail shipments are processed entirely by hand from start to finish. No automation. No conveyor belt drops.

If I'm shipping fungible books, sure, I might drop them to Sarasota via UPS or FedEx because it's cheaper and I can deal with an insurance claim. It's not even about the money. An $18k shipment that was entirely 9.6 ASM 300s and 9.4 New Mutants 98s and whatnot? Insurance check is fine. You can replace all that with a minimum of inconvenience.

If I'm shipping a likely 9.4 Amazing Spider-Man 11?

Registered Mail all day every day. Because it isn't about whether I can get a claim paid, it's about not having a claim in the first place.

14 minutes ago, oldbsturgeon said:

Yeah registered is quite slow. I sent a buyer once 20 lbs of silver coins via registered mail. It took 2 weeks for it to arrive with the first week not moving at all

but it got there. did the silver increase in value during the 2 weeks? did it drop in value during the 2 weeks?

3 minutes ago, oldbsturgeon said:

I don't know. It wasn't bullion but older collectible coinage. It was a little too slow for the seller, though he ended up buying an additional 20lbs in silver coins from me, so it worked out

that always seems to be the case. the pmg buyers never buy from the same bulk seller unless the buyer made decent $.

i will always take slow and assurance of economic recovery if lost, over is it going to get there anxiety.