• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does anyone else remember Unknown Worlds comic shop in Toronto?
2 2

34 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

Yes, the second Snail store was on Yonge, on the West side of the street.

Jimmy is still running Kaos Comics, where he sells comics and sells/rents DVDs 

Was is at lower level of a retail location?

You had to walk down some steps to get to store?

10 minutes ago, jjonahjameson11 said:

The Snail's second location?  Actually, the opposite...it was on the second level of a retail location, and you had to take some steps up (8-10).

I probably got it mixed up then,

10 hours ago, Ares said:

You may be thinking of the original location for Now and Then Books in Kitchener which was a walk down.

14 hours ago, Larryw7 said:

Does anyone here remember stories of a comic shop in Canada where the owner of a store offered happy ending massages from women in his stock room? lol I know it sounds ridiculous, but a couple of collectors mentioned it to me, and I even vaguely remember a thread here that mentioned it. If not, sorry! :fear:

Gotta love great marketing 

1 hour ago, Phicks said:

You may be thinking of the original location for Now and Then Books in Kitchener which was a walk down.

Now apparently THAT was a store. Some of the treasures that came through that place were apparently legendary but it was before my time in Kitchener.

Andy the former manager of Now And Then now runs Carry On Comics in Waterloo.

12 hours ago, Ares said:

The Shooting Star comics on Yonge and Finch was downstairs. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Unknown Worlds was around from the early 80's and they were located at 725 Danforth Ave just east of Pape Ave which if I recall correctly was their 2nd location. They specialized in Science Fiction Novels and Comics. The place was owned by 2 guys named Mike & Vince. They ended up moving further down Danforth Avenue close to Broadview Avenue but didn't last long in that location and closed in 1994. I use to buy my comics from them until Legends Comics opened in 1987 on Linsmore Avenue which was right across the street from Greenwood subway station. Legends changed it's name to Shining Knight comics and then to Comics and More and was in that area for 27 years until the owner Rob Charpentier passed away in October 2014.

13 hours ago, VintageComics said:

The Shooting Star comics on Yonge and Finch was downstairs. Maybe that's what you were thinking of?

Probably

I remember it was On Yonge before I discovered Paradise comics

12 hours ago, Question13 said:

Unknown Worlds was around from the early 80's and they were located at 725 Danforth Ave just east of Pape Ave which if I recall correctly was their 2nd location. They specialized in Science Fiction Novels and Comics. The place was owned by 2 guys named Mike & Vince. They ended up moving further down Danforth Avenue close to Broadview Avenue but didn't last long in that location and closed in 1994. I use to buy my comics from them until Legends Comics opened in 1987 on Linsmore Avenue which was right across the street from Greenwood subway station. Legends changed it's name to Shining Knight comics and then to Comics and More and was in that area for 27 years until the owner Rob Charpentier passed away in October 2014.

Thats  the store I was thinking of

Just saw this.

Unknown Worlds was my LCS (local comic store for my brother and cousins as well), lots of great memories. Mike and Vince were awesome.

Here are a couple of store bags (with their address) that some of you will remember that I held onto for posterity (thumbsu. Wish I held onto their sale ads, they liked using the term bargoons alot, good times ... miss this place :cry:

IMG_20200411_193011_1.jpg

IMG_20200411_193520.jpg

Edited by Yosemite

On 4/14/2020 at 3:33 AM, Larryw7 said:

Does anyone here remember stories of a comic shop in Canada where the owner of a store offered happy ending massages from women in his stock room? lol I know it sounds ridiculous, but a couple of collectors mentioned it to me, and I even vaguely remember a thread here that mentioned it. If not, sorry! :fear:

That's a store I want to buy comics from.