• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favorite "inexpensive" page you own and why?
2 2

67 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, grapeape said:

1150EBEF-E00C-49DE-BFFD-778B103BAF10.jpeg.1051d9611ef7222d95b19de8153f7304.jpegPaid a few hundred for this twenty years ago. FF 200 a double sized issue and the climatic end of a classic 197-200 storyline featuring the fearsome Dr. Doom.

Super nostalgia for FF197 - 200...Pollard / Sinnott Goodness!

Here is a page I bought from Mr. Burkey 15 - 20 years ago as well - but perhaps inexpensive means what it is worth, not what we paid so I will look for an inexpensive page too

Pollard Sinnott FF 199 p2 001.jpg

I got this con sketch at a Big Wow convention 2014. Larry Todd was there and I was very excited. I asked for a drawing of Dejah Thoris and John Carter but he said he wanted to do something a little different but related to John Carter. He asked for $40 but I gave him $100. For a full description of how he came to draw this and a pic of him drawing click here. Larry Todd  

page 07.jpg

Edited by Michaeld
added extra info

This one came as part of a "package" of Phantom Stranger artwork about 3-4 years ago, and based on the other pieces' values, the price was close to $0. The pencils are by Joe Station, the inks by Marc Buckingham and it is from Dr. Fate, 2nd Series. I really liked this little run of stories with the Stranger (I have others, like the cover to issue 19, by Sean McManus) since it is so rare for the Stranger to be in a posiiton of giving joy for a change. The half splash isn't too shabby either.

27Fate19_StatonBuckingham.thumb.jpg.c283758de04b477a8b3d1ea89120d17b.jpg

18 minutes ago, GreatEscape said:

Bought this Bob Layton Iron Man #125 page long ago with Tony Stark out of costume with no action, villains or lush scenery.  That's why the price was cheap. But, it's a memorable page from the famous "Demon in a Bottle" alcoholism storyline where Tony Stark shows up for work drunk, disheveled and drawn to a bottle: "Funny, I never used to even think about BOOZE this early..."  

To me, this page is a testament to the vulnerabilities and human flaws of the superheroes that we cherish.  They aren't perfect...indeed, they have addictions, indulgences, behavior issues, parental challenges, family troubles and money problems (well maybe not Stark!) just like us-- and that makes all the difference. 

UFI8N3HZ_2602161147501.jpg

Love this page! I still need to add a nice page from the early part of the JRjr/Layton run

On 4/12/2020 at 1:57 PM, mtlevy1 said:

Super nostalgia for FF197 - 200...Pollard / Sinnott Goodness!

Here is a page I bought from Mr. Burkey 15 - 20 years ago as well - but perhaps inexpensive means what it is worth, not what we paid so I will look for an inexpensive page too

Pollard Sinnott FF 199 p2 001.jpg

D O O M

That FF 200 page is in the grail-ish category for me as the DOOM and his son arc was a huge all time and nostalgic favorite. I don't see that fitting the category of what I thought this thread was for. Sounds like it is up the poster to determine the criteria for the piece but I was thinking more along the lines of "what piece in your collection is worth far less than ANYONE would ever likely have to pay to ory it out of your collection" The piece that has far more worth to me due to sentiment/memory attached to it. I will have to put some thought to what piece in my collection fits that description. 

1 hour ago, pinupcartooncollector said:

This was inexpensive when I bought it, and it's probably still inexpensive today.  Back in the day, I WAS a D&D geek and used to love reading Dragon magazine where Phil Foglio was a regular artist.  Buying a bit of nostalgia doesn't always have to be pricey!

Phil & Dixie.jpg

Put me in the same category.  Loved reading the Dragon magazines, especially Adventures of Finieous Fingers and Fred and Charly