• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favorite "inexpensive" page you own and why?
2 2

67 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, trimpehulk said:

Well this page from What If 4 was cheap early Mark Bagley. Great recap of key Black suit Spider-Man events. I still look at this one all the time. 

IMG_2078.JPG

Great page! Love the actions and recap! Beware, those types of frames can be bad for art. 

On 4/12/2020 at 4:31 PM, J.Sid said:

Is this thread "inexpensive when I bought it?" or "inexpensive today?"

I think it’s “when I bought it” judging by most of the pieces. LOL!

I think we have to put a temporal time limit on this stuff. Maybe 2 years? “I bought this great Jim Lee X-Men page in 1991 for $100” is not really in the spirit of this thread, I think. 

On 4/17/2020 at 4:33 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

I’d like to revise and extend my remarks, as the Congressmen say. My favorite “inexpensive” piece is one I bought most recently. I commissioned a Comic artist friend of mine to do a mock comic book panel page about my wife, for her birthday. She tolerates my hobby, but she does appreciate some of the art. She loved this. And so do I. 

And, yes. She said it was OK to post this. 

51A414DD-0886-43B8-AEBB-8D32C44F6DDE.thumb.jpeg.a09f9b95280d3208ebac927989573014.jpeg

Haha how thoughtful. She’s seems like a sweetheart. I’m going on 30 years this October with the love of my life. She too has been very patient with my hobby.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:10 AM, J.Sid said:

Love me some Kyle Baker. "Why I Hate Saturn" is still one of my favorite GNs. This page still makes me laugh...

1924482494_baker_saturnp47.thumb.jpg.c814c8dbef5be0fcc9fd749ecd927361.jpg

Classic. Somethings are so timely when you come across them. I had a very similar conversation with my cousin about soy burgers, impossible burgers etc. why?????😂

I love this Golden Age Spark Man page from a 1941 issue of Sparkler Comics by Reg Greenwood. I paid $75 around 20 years ago and I'd guess its value hasn't kept up with inflation, but it's got so many Golden Age tropes in one page. World War II references; a pitch for war bonds and stamps; a sexy lady who's hot for the hero but he's all about his duty; a non-white sidekick portrayed in a vaguely racist way...and the art's pretty too!

sparkman.jpg

On 4/12/2020 at 3:41 PM, batman_fan said:

I purposely left it vague as everyone has their own definition of cheap.

I looked at this as price paid in relation to what it is probably worth in relation to what it is / what you received. 

$100

Full page splash from the Romita Jr Captain America run.  Young Steve Rogers walks out of his abusive house onto the street during the Great Depression.  The image used several real life photos traditionally associated with the time period.   JRJR packed a lot of detail into this page and definitely did his homework. 

QcbBZOtr_1001162316151.jpg

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I looked at this as price paid in relation to what it is probably worth in relation to what it is / what you received. 

$100

Full page splash from the Romita Jr Captain America run.  Young Steve Rogers walks out of his abusive house onto the street during the Great Depression.  The image used several real life photos traditionally associated with the time period.   JRJR packed a lot of detail into this page and definitely did his homework. 

QcbBZOtr_1001162316151.jpg

That’s an awesome image!  Love all the detail (worship)

On 4/20/2020 at 1:26 PM, christosgage said:

I love this Golden Age Spark Man page from a 1941 issue of Sparkler Comics by Reg Greenwood. I paid $75 around 20 years ago and I'd guess its value hasn't kept up with inflation, but it's got so many Golden Age tropes in one page. World War II references; a pitch for war bonds and stamps; a sexy lady who's hot for the hero but he's all about his duty; a non-white sidekick portrayed in a vaguely racist way...and the art's pretty too!

sparkman.jpg

That is really cool!

On 4/21/2020 at 9:16 AM, batman_fan said:

That’s an awesome image!  Love all the detail (worship)

31 minutes ago, glendgold said:

WOW! That's really good - I've never seen it before.  I wonder if he was at all referencing Kirby's Street Code DPS. 

The main point of reference (I believe) is a photograph of Mulberry Street in NYC from Jacob Riis circa 1890 form "How the Other Half Lives"

While this is not the Great Depression per se, there are other parts of the Romita Jr splash (and now that I see it, Kirby) that borrowed from or were influenced by certain historical images.  I've seen them before when having to go through records or historical information about the time period.   There are elements of those other photos from historical accounts that we have of the 1930's that you can see made their way into the image as well as a few scenes from the Godfather parts 1 and 2. 

EDIT: As I compare, Kirby seems to take more cues from Riis than Romita Jr does...  

6610d6c6395c72e8c0d59f73d1269e56.jpg

wpa_075.jpg

Edited by Buzzetta

On 4/22/2020 at 12:24 PM, Buzzetta said:

The main point of reference (I believe) is a photograph of Mulberry Street in NYC from Jacob Riis circa 1890 form "How the Other Half Lives"

While this is not the Great Depression per se, there are other parts of the Romita Jr splash (and now that I see it, Kirby) that borrowed from or were influenced by certain historical images.  I've seen them before when having to go through records or historical information about the time period.   There are elements of those other photos from historical accounts that we have of the 1930's that you can see made their way into the image as well as a few scenes from the Godfather parts 1 and 2. 

EDIT: As I compare, Kirby seems to take more cues from Riis than Romita Jr does...  

6610d6c6395c72e8c0d59f73d1269e56.jpg

wpa_075.jpg

Kirby grew up in the scene that Riis photographed. My guess is he drew that splash without needing any reference at all.

13 hours ago, drdroom said:

Kirby grew up in the scene that Riis photographed. My guess is he drew that splash without needing any reference at all.

I think a coin flip. Jack did have some kind of eidetic imagry (particularly for traumatic scenes) but he did use photo reference sometimes, and in the darnedest places - I can't remember who found the source for the Sgt Fury 13 splash, but it's a direct swipe from a combat photo. (does anyone remember the source of this: https://www.comicartfans.com/gallerypiece.asp?piece=1123234) I wouldn't be surprised if the Street Code splash came directly from Jack's imagination, nor if he saw the Riis and had his memory jogged.  Of all my comic-art-based time-travel fantasies, one would be to sit down with Kirby in the 1970s and ask him things like that.  And if he saw a whole page when he sat down to draw, or if details surprised him.  If he saw a scene first, then committed to bringing it out, or if he only realized what he was doing when he saw enough of it on Strathmore. Sorry for thread hijacking, but I just had coffee and it's not like there's much else going on today except more of Season 4 of VIKINGS.

9 hours ago, joefixit2 said:

If you are old like me, you probably had a Presto Magix or two when you were a kid.  Loved those things, had both the Hulk ones they released.  Dave Cockrum did the character drawings for one of them and around 20 years ago, he was selling the 6 pages that he drew them on up on eBay.  He originally had them posted as Shrinky dinks but I messaged him to let him know what they were really for.  He was selling all six pages for $300 each and I put a bid on them figuring I would easily be overbid.  Nope, I was the only bidder.  I ended up mailing him the original Presto Magix I had saved as a kid and he signed it and sent it back with the original artwork.  Not sure what it is worth nowadays since it is not OA per se but I love the fact that Dave drew the Hulk and all his rogues back then.

prestomagixfull.jpg

prestomagix2.jpg

prestomagix1.jpg

prestomagix3.jpg

prestomagix4.jpg

prestomagix6.jpg

prestomagix5 (1).jpg

I am old enough to remember the Presto Majix.  As a kid it was a very traditional thing to get each Christmas.  Those are awesome !