• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is your favorite "inexpensive" page you own and why?
2 2

67 posts in this topic

I'd say this one:
image.png.9486a3f7acd615cba0647a3e3862f415.png

Why? Well, it was the cover to the very first comic that I ever bought my daughters. $180, IIRC, on a ComicLink auction. Never thought I'd find it, much less buy it for cheap.

Click the image and read the full story, it's worth the visit.

As I'm mostly into Movie Poster OA nowadays here's a painting I received for the price of mailing some artworks to Spain at the cost price of about £65 (less than a $100).

A selection of about 120 UK movie paintings came up for auction earlier this year in which I won four vintage originals  ranging in date from the late 1940s to the early 1960s.  A Spanish collector friend also won himself about seven paintings in the same auction.  My friend asked me if I would collect his winnings and post them off to him as a favour, which I was happy to do (I was planning to visit the auction house in person to collect my four paintings the following week).

Amongst my friend's selection, he had won himself two similar paintings for the movie advertising campaign of the early David Lean film, THE PASSIONATE FRIENDS (1948) that had been sold together as one lot.  As a 'thank you' for my help, my friend suggested that I could keep one of the paintings in lieu of a refund of postage costs, which took me all of about a split second to agree to  :)

THE PASSIONATE FRIENDS is a 1949 British romantic drama film directed by David Lean. The film is based on The Passionate Friends: A Novel by H. G. Wells. It describes a love triangle in which a woman cannot give up her affair with another man. The film was entered into the 1949 Cannes Film Festival.

vgKBSsxe_1403201844311gpadd.jpg

Edited by The Voord

I'd say this Sean Murphy page from his Chrononauts run w/ Mark Millar. The story goes something like this: about five years ago I stumbled upon Sean's work. I was looking for other Scott Snyder stories, because I was loving his run on Batman w/ Capullo. The Scott search lead me to The Wake and then PRJ and then Sean's current story, at the time, Chrononauts.  I'd never bought original art before and sadly it had never occurred to me that one could buy and own art (my 16 year old self walking around with a thousand dollars in my pocket at the 1988 NYCC is still kicking himself). Sean's twitter account mentioned his art dealer, that lead me to his art agent's website (at the time Jason).

I was able to reach out to Jason and got to go visit him and see all of Sean's work. This was going to be my first OA purchase and I went in thinking i'd spend $300-$500. I was overwhelmed by the choices and left the meeting telling Jason I had to think about it but had narrowed down the options between a handful of interior Chrononauts pages but was probably going to go with this page (see below).

In the meantime, Chrononauts wrapped up and Tokyo Ghost had started being released. I somehow went from deciding between a handful of interior Chrononauts pages to eventually getting a cover from Tokyo Ghost (big jump in price). A few years later I got to meet Sean at NYCC and we got to talk and hang out. I only had a Saturday badge for NYCC and Sean asked me to come around to his booth the next day. I explained I didn't have a Sunday badge and he explained he had something for me....I didn't think much of it but later his new agent, Geoff, reached out to me and asked for my mailing address - telling me again - Sean has something for you. Imagine my surprise when I receive in the mail, this page. The original page I was so close to buying a few years prior!!

Chrononautes issue 3 pg 7

I came across a seller a couple of years ago that had this page listed on eBay. From what I understand it had sat in the case of a comic or book store that was closing for a few years. They had no idea who the artist or inker was so I messaged them and informed them.  For whatever reason, they didn't adjust their listing and after the page didn't sell, they offered it to me at a bargain of a price.  Brian Stelfreeze and Karl Story's contribution to X-Men Annual 1.

ptid6sxj_2202161429151.thumb.jpg.4ee6ce67cedb023f94e65e4bcf11b502.jpg

I own this cover of The Rejected #2 The Unwilling, I believe I paid $300 for it and it came with a copy of the book which was LMTD to 100 copies. Art by Shawn Langley

HEfWUuJ.jpg

Edited by Masochism