• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Limited Mintage AF 15?
1 1

54 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, dupont2005 said:

Regardless of silvers value as a metal, it’s ridiculous to think things made out of silver or gold can’t have value beyond that of their components. Nobody says “Action #1 for two million dollars? I can get 500 sheets of  paper for $3!”

Not saying this collectible in particular is worth anything significant. But a collectible made out of silver or gold can have every bit the amount of collectors appeal as one made out of paper. And even if we aren’t talking about collectibles, nobody says “30 grand for a new Camry? I can get 3500lbs of scrap steel for $500!”

true. something is worth whatever the individual is willing to pay, but only to the individual paying.

4 minutes ago, goodrockrich said:

What is this book worth/cost?

Not a comic book - just a silver "coin" of the AF15 cover.

They were about $150 directly from NZ-Mint. I think it was originally $300 to get a Gem Mint copy from CGC.

The gold foil version, IIRC, was not available outside of the CGC version (which was originally $5k for a Gem Mint copy).

14 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Not a comic book - just a silver "coin" of the AF15 cover.

They were about $150 directly from NZ-Mint. I think it was originally $300 to get a Gem Mint copy from CGC.

The gold foil version, IIRC, was not available outside of the CGC version (which was originally $5k for a Gem Mint copy).

So it's a giant silver "coin" of the AF 15 cover.  Weird.

My mother-in-law got into the whole "Beenie Baby I'm gonna be a rich" BS. After her death at her Celebration Of Life (Oh and she was the life of the party!)  I brought her whole shed full of Beenie Babies to give to the kids. This cute little girl started grabbing the whole pile and the mother said, "Don't take them all. Leave some for the other children." I said, "No. Take them. Please."

6 hours ago, Guardian Comics said:

You should look at the sold listings on EBay for these things...sort from highest price paid, bet you'd be shocked.

Nothing surprises me when it comes to people and money.   Hey, all you need is one happy buyer and one seller.  It's what makes the economy go round.   I am sure there are 'rare' ones that people are on the look out for.  I guess if we can collect books with cartoons in them for thousands of dollars, we shouldn't know people who collect cloth, stuffed animals, with catch nicknames.  

14 hours ago, Get Marwood & I said:

They are a cool item in themselves but I just think CGC grading them as if they were a comic is silly. 

14 hours ago, wilbil said:

right now, i know a lot of people that would pay a heck of a lot more money than an oz. of silver is worth. especially if it comes in soft round rolls.

Now, now, now............let's not give the money head honchos at CCG any bright ideas here or else they'll have the boys at CGC grading and slabbing "valuable" toilet paper in this Covid-19 focused environment, especially since it's considered to be an essential item.  lol

Edited by lou_fine

4 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Now, now, now............let's not give the money head honchos at CCG any bright ideas here or else they'll have the boys at CGC grading and slabbing "valuable" toilet paper in this Covid-19 focused environment, especially since it's considered to be an essential item.  lol

:bigsmile:

They've slabbed the ASM v2 Byrne run so some would say they've already started lou  :shy:

On 4/12/2020 at 6:20 PM, Cliff R. said:

From Google, describing silver...

"It does not react with oxygen in the air under normal circumstances. It does react slowly with sulfur compounds in the air, however. The product of this reaction is silver sulfide (Ag 2 S), a black compound. The tarnish that develops over time on silverware and other silver-plated objects is silver sulfide."

I wonder if the silver foil is coated to prevent this?

Also, silver nitrate is photosensitive, and darkens when exposed to light. 

They should have used gold foil.  :whistle:

Don't worry. Antique dealers will get hold of them and charge extra for the "patina.":flipbait: