• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man 100-200 keys?
1 1

141 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, Bax77 said:

The cover might be a work of art, but the book itself certainly is not. Have you ever read #227? Terrible art, terrible story. Not worthy of being called a key.

I never minded the interior art. Not as good as the cover, no, but it satisfies me. The story, you are right, is poo. But a lot of them were around this time, or so I found. It seemed to alternate a lot in the early 70's. And beyond really, for Batman. I wouldn't say I have ever loved the title for its story, moreso various moments for its art. 

If people desire a book now that was not previously desired, how is that not a good thing?

Suppose I am regular Joe Shmoe. Or even occasional comic collector Shmoe. One day, this amazing TV show is created starring 3-D Man. Who the heck is that? Wow. What a concept. I fall in love. Naturally I hunt down his appearances. First, second, some key crossovers, maybe some great covers drawn by great artists. I putting money into the pockets of sellers, comic shops and whoever else helped kickstart my interest.

You seem upset that a bunch of Shmoes now are willing to pay $15-20 for a book you used to be able to get for $1-3. And now that a character has a following or resonates with fans, that is the going rate to get 3-D man's first app. "But nobody cared before!" you cry. Okay, they care now. They have spurred interest in the hobby, the character and perhaps beyond. Noting wrong there.

4 minutes ago, Bax77 said:

You gotta be kidding! doh! No wonder you can't understand Lazyboy :makepoint:

Like Lazyboy's name suggest and your response here, you seem too lazy to offer a better explanation. Other than what is apparent. You disagree with it and want to be right and its your way and everyone else is stupid.

Look, you can think people who fall in love with 3-D man are stupid or weird or whatever. Me? Well they enjoy something in this hobby and to each their own. They view Marvel Premiere 35 as a key, fine by me. I won't spend $15-20 on one but if they want to go ahead! 

Edited by comicginger1789

Just now, Bax77 said:

This is actually a good post because you never say the books you now love are keys, just most popular now. That's correct and price has nothing to do with it.

But is popularity breeds desire for it. Which satisfies the definition of a key. 

Nobody used to desire Suicide Squad #1 from the 80's. Then a movie comes out, generates interest and desire for it. For certain characters, it is a first appearance within that incarnation of the team. Collectors now desire it. It has historical significance now. May not be major, but not all keys are equal, we know that. This is a minor key. 

None are keys to me. 1st Appearance of some vampire, a vigilante with a gun, a catwoman knock off key? Nothing new or original. Death of a non super powered girlfriend or a villain who was brought back? At the time it was a huge big deal but now not really. About as key as the death of superman. 

They are keys when you come across one and sell it for money. Now 121 122 great story and history. Punisher with skull on chest, super cool. I like them but to me the word key is thrown around too easily. Stan and marvel knocked off a lot of characters but black cat is among the worst and pathetic. 1st Appearances sure. Collectible sure. Key not really. Like Hawkeye is just some marvel character with a bow. Marvels super late green arrow aka Robin hood. I get it, what's more left to be done, how much creativity originality is available? Pretty much nothing left to do then take things that have already been done. Tweak it a lil and introduce a " new character ". 

7 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

Whether ya call em keys, classics, first appearances....they are all beautiful old paper!

If it doesn't matter what you call them, then why would you feel the need to call them keys when they aren't? hm If they already have demand, what does falsely calling them keys gain you?

That's the problem. Sellers call everything key to make their stuff seem more attractive. Showoffs call everything key because everybody knows keys are awesome and everything else is junk, and they can't have junk. An abused word becomes diluted and meaningless.

12 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

None are keys to me. 1st Appearance of some vampire, a vigilante with a gun, a catwoman knock off key? Nothing new or original. Death of a non super powered girlfriend or a villain who was brought back? At the time it was a huge big deal but now not really. About as key as the death of superman. 

They are keys when you come across one and sell it for money. Now 121 122 great story and history. Punisher with skull on chest, super cool. I like them but to me the word key is thrown around too easily. Stan and marvel knocked off a lot of characters but black cat is among the worst and pathetic. 1st Appearances sure. Collectible sure. Key not really. Like Hawkeye is just some marvel character with a bow. Marvels super late green arrow aka Robin hood. I get it, what's more left to be done, how much creativity originality is available? Pretty much nothing left to do then take things that have already been done. Tweak it a lil and introduce a " new character ". 

And then there's the other extreme...

Just how I feel. Like someone said. Anything that has something about it that makes it more collectible or valuable is a key by definition.

But really action comics one is a key. But what about 1st super boy super girl super woman? Just another gender or age superman. Power girl just a spin off of super girl. 

I love wolverine. But x-23? Just a female version. Been lots of those before and after her, so what that one stick? Smaller print run? Good cover? Dunno. The hulk/wolverine hybrid I guess is a key too. I am waiting for shemalverine the 1st transgender wolverine. Will be the hot book of the year. 

We've really veered off course from the intended topic (as usual on this forum, no duplicate threads but endless pages of catty in-fighting) but I will say that like it or not, things just become keys for whatever reason and we can't control it. If something is heavily desired and valuable, it probably counts as a 'key.' I really like ASM 100 but if it was just me it would not be at all valuable, however there does seem to be outside interest in it. Where we really got lost was in debating Batman 227. I don't really like it and think it's a stupid reason to 'key' something, but it pretty much is one now based on how many people want it through sheer "this comic is rare, I have to have it" desire.

Edited by brentdevil

As for what's a key, my view on it is more narrow. I think there has to be something highly significant going on in the story for it to qualify. I don't believe an appealing cover, desire or value = key status. There can be such a thing as an important sought after book that's not a key. It's highly subjective however and if someone wants a wider definition than more power to em! 2c 

100 is a classic cover in my view but not a key. 

The only ones I'd include are 121, 122, 129. 194 and 101 are close but I don't quite put them in that class just yet. Maybe they'll get there at some point. They most definitely merit a higher status than most in that 100 - 200 group however.

All depends what your definition of key is. 194 first Appearance of black cat. 1st Appearance of a known popular character? Or first Appearance of of a catwoman "inspired" character by marvel comics? 

Are all first appearances keys? Or do they have to have some value or collect ability or a popular character?

What if that book fit none of that criteria ever but all the sudden movie rumors hit and now it does! So all of the sudden the book is a key? 

How about xforce 11. Hey let's make it so new mutants 98 didn't have a new character named domino but it was just copy cat in a new costume impersonating so we can sell more comic books and when the internet comes along people will be in these things call forums claiming it is not only a key but so much a key that they will ship it off and have it professionally graded and incased in plastic and it will be a wall book at comic shops instead of just a mass produced xforce book that nobody cares about.

4 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

As for what's a key, my view on it is more narrow. I think there has to be something highly significant going on in the story for it to qualify. I don't believe an appealing cover, desire or value = key status. There can be such a thing as an important sought after book that's not a key. It's highly subjective however and if someone wants a wider definition than more power to em! 2c 

100 is a classic cover in my view but not a key. 

The only ones I'd include are 121, 122, 129. 194 and 101 are close but I don't quite put them in that class just yet. Maybe they'll get there at some point. They most definitely merit a higher status than most in that 100 - 200 group however.

What would you say are "keys" from 200-400? Or, 1-100, I guess? Everyone lists too many, but I'm curious to your bare minimum approach.

7 hours ago, brentdevil said:

We've really veered off course from the intended topic

Your actual question (as you clarified) about the most valuable books from the ASM 100-200 run was answered. The thread would likely just be dead without the tangential discussion. (shrug)

Once a thread has fulfilled its purpose, what does it matter what else gets posted?