• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man 100-200 keys?
1 1

141 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

hm Did you not read any of the previous issues? Who faced more adversity than Spider-Man?

Pretty sure I have yeah. He wasn't up to this point pushed to this far a limit

1 hour ago, Lazyboy said:

There's no way they could have known that ASM would run until 1998, but to suggest that most readers thought he could really die at that point gives them very little credit

Ok fine so if everyone in the mid 60s was well aware the character wouldn't be killed off after getting through ish 32 so be it. Its possible younger readers may not have been so sure but whatever it's a small point. It doesn't take anything away from the story. They still didn't know if Aunt May would receive the serum she needed before it was too late. The point is Lee & Ditko were on a different level at that point. Ultimately the collector decides and if you don't think they're keys then fine 

8 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

My point was that you seemed to be saying that Marvel marketed X-Force 11 as the first appearance of Domino when it was released so they could sell more copies of the issue. I don't think anything exists that backs up that assertion, especially since it was absolutely not her first appearance.

I dunno how or if marvel marketed it. I am not big on new books so dunno if they ever marketed them or do today or what. But new characters create excitement and people want the book that has one. My friends and local comic shops were excited about it. Was a huge seller. No idea how it faired elsewhere but as often I see the book in every city I visit and at one point I had a box full of them I would say a lot. Cgc notes it as first real domino. I remember it selling for a 100 bucks at one point so some people think it is something. 

10 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

I dunno how or if marvel marketed it. I am not big on new books so dunno if they ever marketed them or do today or what. But new characters create excitement and people want the book that has one. My friends and local comic shops were excited about it. Was a huge seller. No idea how it faired elsewhere but as often I see the book in every city I visit and at one point I had a box full of them I would say a lot.

The title was hot and selling ~1,000,000 copies per issue in the beginning. It had nothing to do with first appearances.

10 minutes ago, Myowncollector said:

Cgc notes it as first real domino. I remember it selling for a 100 bucks at one point so some people think it is something. 

CGC does a lot of stupid things, unfortunately. It is absolutely not the first appearance of any Domino, real or not.

7 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

It doesn't take anything away from the story. 

That's true enough.

7 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

They still didn't know if Aunt May would receive the serum she needed before it was too late.

Yeah, Aunt May was a much bigger question at that time. That was before everybody realized that May being really sick yet again was just an overused plot device and she would outlive all of them. lol

15 minutes ago, Lazyboy said:

The title was hot and selling ~1,000,000 copies per issue in the beginning. It had nothing to do with first appearances.

CGC does a lot of stupid things, unfortunately. It is absolutely not the first appearance of any Domino, real or not.

I personally never thought it was her 1st, original point was it is a key to some people. I apologize that I failed to clearly show my attempt at sarcasm about my fictional thought process of writers trying to make it a key. Although I thought it may be in a realm of possibilities that a comic series that is selling a million comics might not keep selling a million comics so they may try introducing new characters or something to either boost sales or keep sales. I was wrong there as well. My apologies.

On 4/21/2020 at 4:34 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Peter starts college. Gwen Stacy, Harry Osborne appearances. Flash meets both of them for the first time. Both 14 31 are very close I have no problem putting 14 ahead but imo the story in 31 puts it ahead. 

I'd actually buy 14 before 31 because the cover of 14 is so appealing but I have to put 31 as the more meaningful story. 

I personally would probably rather own 13 than 14. I find the cover (and Mysterio) much more appealing. 14 has been way overvalued imo, mainly due to the Death of Gwen issues elevating the Goblin when he had appeared in the main title for one story in eight years, and then brining him back years later. If you're going by Spidey's archenemy/Joker, I would probably always consider that to be Doc Ock.

10 hours ago, Lazyboy said:

This.

It was a retcon, and a stupid one at that.

I was buying Liefeld New Mutants off the shelf starting with # 93. # 98 was a big deal when it came out not because of Deadpool's first appearance, but because it was the first appearance of Domino - who was to be (with Cable), the co-leader of X-Force. For real. It was an $8 book by the time New Mutants 100 came out because of Domino.

Deadpool's appearance didn't drive demand for the book until much later (and certainly after his second appearance in X-Force # 2).

The point?

Folks were *excited* about Domino throughout New Mutants 98-100, and X-Force 1 was the book of the summer. Particularly the issues with the Cable card, especially if it was a Cable card with a "negative" white on black Captain America logo (i.e., no one cared about the Deadpool cards.)

That more than a year later Nicieza and Liefeld opted to retcon it all and be like "just kidding - Domino was a clone. Here's her true first appearance" is revisionist hogwash, right up there with Marvel (temporarily) claiming that Ben Reilly, not Peter Parker, was Spider-Man for 20+ years, from issue # 149 through the Clone saga.

That X-Force # 11 is - decades later - deemed a key because of movie hype doesn't change the fact that Domino had appeared more than a dozen times beforehand, starting with NM # 98.

Edited by Gatsby77

9 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

This.

It was a retcon, and a stupid one at that.

I was buying Liefeld New Mutants off the shelf starting with # 93. # 98 was a big deal when it came out not because of Deadpool's first appearance, but because it was the first appearance of Domino - who was to be (with Cable), the co-leader of X-Force. For real. It was an $8 book by the time New Mutants 100 came out because of Domino.

Deadpool's appearance didn't drive demand for the book until much later (and certainly after his second appearance in X-Force # 2).

The point?

Folks were *excited* about Domino throughout New Mutants 98-100, and X-Force 1 was the book of the summer. Particularly the issues with the Cable card, especially if it was a Cable card with a "negative" white on black Captain America logo (i.e., no one cared about the Deadpool cards.)

That more than a year later Nicieza and Liefeld opted to retcon it all and be like "just kidding - Domino was a clone. Here's her true first appearance" is revisionist hogwash, right up there with Marvel (temporarily) claiming that Ben Reilly, not Peter Parker, was Spider-Man for 20+ years, from issue # 149 through the Clone saga.

That X-Force # 11 is - decades later - deemed a key because of movie hype doesn't change the fact that Domino had appeared more than a dozen times beforehand, starting with NM # 98.

That's not what I meant. I'm guessing you also aren't a New Teen Titans fan?

On 4/22/2020 at 2:31 PM, Lazyboy said:

hm Did you not read any of the previous issues? Who faced more adversity than Spider-Man?

There's no way they could have known that ASM would run until 1998, but to suggest that most readers thought he could really die at that point gives them very little credit.

I read my first issue of the Amazing Spider-Man at age 8. It was issue number 147 and I thought it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. The issue ended with Spider-man, barely conscious and in chains, being thrown off the top of the Brooklyn Bridge.

I was super bummed out that I had discovered this incredibly awesome Spider-man character in the very issue where they killed him off.

On 4/24/2020 at 8:29 AM, Bax77 said:

Yeah, if you look at that list there are some cameos between 40 and 96, but I wanted to use proper appearances to fortify my position :bigsmile:

:eyeroll: Issue 40 - Issue 121 1973, with his appearance in the MAIN titles being 96-98. I love how you conveniently leave out the years after to breeze past the point you knew I was making.

Well if you look at it by ages then Doc would own silver Goblin owns bronze. By the time copper came around both were pushed to the back burner for the most part at least with the main title which is why I :cloud9: 312 so much.

Goblin has always been my favorite villain ever of all time. I think there's just as many spidey fans that believe Doc to be the top guy. To me the top 3 are Goblin, Doc and Kingpin 2c

15 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Well if you look at it by ages then Doc would own silver Goblin owns bronze. By the time copper came around both were pushed to the back burner for the most part at least with the main title which is why I :cloud9: 312 so much.

Goblin has always been my favorite villain ever of all time. I think there's just as many spidey fans that believe Doc to be the top guy. To me the top 3 are Goblin, Doc and Kingpin 2c

By ages, Venom must rule the copper roost. (Although I totally share your love for the Goblin.)

The Kingpin is a great villain, but Frank Miller did such an amazing job with him that he has migrated into Daredevil's rogues gallery for me.

Seems as good a place as any to ask this question. I did a Search on Spider-Man 194 & wound up here. I'm trying to sell 3 ASM 194's (1st Appearance Black Cat) I got graded by CGC & now have sent to MyComicShop on consignment. Looking for advice on what price to list them to move them (relatively) quickly.  As in, I'm in no real hurry, but also don't want them to just sit forever either. Right now, they are Buy It Now, but if the consensus advice is to "Do An Auction', I'm open to that.

So... suggestions?

ASM 194 CGC 7.0 Newsstand 

ASM 194 CGC 7.5 Newsstand 

ASM 194 CGC 7.5 Direct

What would you list them for initially as a Buy It Now to move them in, let's say "the next month or so", so not looking for quickly, but also a price that wouldn't just be ignored & skipped over forever? I'm new at this selling aspect, so thanks in advance for any advice on pricing these particular comics, or even just general advice.

On 8/28/2023 at 7:02 PM, RobAnybody said:

Seems as good a place as any to ask this question. I did a Search on Spider-Man 194 & wound up here. I'm trying to sell 3 ASM 194's (1st Appearance Black Cat) I got graded by CGC & now have sent to MyComicShop on consignment. Looking for advice on what price to list them to move them (relatively) quickly.  As in, I'm in no real hurry, but also don't want them to just sit forever either. Right now, they are Buy It Now, but if the consensus advice is to "Do An Auction', I'm open to that.

So... suggestions?

ASM 194 CGC 7.0 Newsstand 

ASM 194 CGC 7.5 Newsstand 

ASM 194 CGC 7.5 Direct

What would you list them for initially as a Buy It Now to move them in, let's say "the next month or so", so not looking for quickly, but also a price that wouldn't just be ignored & skipped over forever? I'm new at this selling aspect, so thanks in advance for any advice on pricing these particular comics, or even just general advice.

There's a 194 7.5 Direct on MCS at $280.  Not sure how long it's been sitting there at that price.  Probably want to undercut that - maybe $250?

There's a 7.0 Direct that's at $285 so that's not super helpful.  Some think Newsstands are worth more, some don't.  I'd suggest you're in the same general ballpark for the 7.5 Newsstand as the Direct and maybe $200 for the 7.0.  Could move them at those prices, but there's a ton of copies around.

On 4/24/2020 at 8:08 AM, The Green Ghost said:

No need to show that like I'm ignorant. The GOBLIN appeared once in the main titles in eight years besides the tabloid book. Norman was around, which is not the same thing.

Seems unreal spidey best villain went so long without appearing