• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

San Diego Comic-Con may become an online convention
1 1

44 posts in this topic

https://www.dailydot.com/unclick/sdcc-2020-online-cancelation/

San Diego Comic-Con still hasn’t been officially canceled, but it looks like things are moving in that direction.

SDCC spokesperson David Glanzer told the San Diego Union-Tribune that the convention organizers were considering an “online component” if they have to cancel this year. He explained: “We do not want to disappoint the people who have saved, planned, and are looking forward to the show this summer, but the primary concern, what is chief among all our concerns, is the health and safety of not only our attendees, but the public as well.”

The Union-Tribune report highlights the complicated nature of calling off such a big event, including the cancelation of 220,000 hotel room nights. Earlier this month, 50+ hotels were contacted about the necessity of refunding customers if SDCC does get canceled. The head of the San Diego Tourism Authority said that Comic-Con was “evaluating any financial liability” around cancelation, which sounds like the same problem many other conventions and festivals have faced this year: figuring out a way to cancel and get insurance payouts without going bankrupt. Ticket-holders are also wondering about refunds or the possibility of getting priority access to next year’s event.

SDCC is meant to take place in late July, and as of April 1st, the convention organizers were still publicly planning to move forward as normal. This announcement was met with disbelief because even in two or three months, it probably won’t be safe or prudent to hold a crowded event with over 130,000 international attendees.

These new updates suggest that SDCC is moving toward some kind of cancelation or postponement, potentially with some events streaming online. There’s already precedent for this with other conventions including WonderCon this weekend (which is organized by the same body as SDCC), and Worldcon later this year, which is planning a full program of livestreamed panels. Zoom, Twitch, and YouTube are the name of the game for conventions in 2020.

I think a lot of organizers were holding out hope that a cure would suddenly be found and implemented, and that if they waited long enough the event could go on. 

But with Governor Newsom saying he doesn’t expect live sports to be played in California stadiums and arenas until October, there was zero chance SDCC was going forward without an unexpected cure. 

I work the NY Auto Show every year as a post-retirement part time gig. That event with its 1.4 million attendees was pushed back to August (the only empty window big enough in the Javits calendar). But that’s a coin flip at best. I personally think it gets canceled. 

Sad to say, but without question this is going to be cancelled/postponed.  Even if it were not, would anyone risk their or their families health to attend the event this year? 

Edited by mosconi

"Even if it were not, would anyone risk their or their families health to attend the event this year?"

Unless we're told to stay home by the governor I fully intend to live my life as normal come July and August. By mid-May I will have been housebound for 2 months. Mid-June will be 3. My kids have probably had physical school closed for this school year (our mayor and governor are fighting over it, but it will happen). My 8 year old had a breakdown over online schooling today. He said he is fine dropping out of school and working at mcdonalds. I have paid for a membership at a beach club and we're going to use it. Admittedly, having a space at a beach club where you can distance yourself from others a bit is not quite the same as being on top of others at a convention or sporting event. But I am not going to be doing this in July and August. Nope. It would be smarter if they could contemplate doing it in August though. Another month. People will be dying (no pun intended) to go out and do stuff. I don't know how people can cope in San Diego right now with their great weather. And the smog has lifted from L.A.? It has been lousy here, so staying inside most days has not been so hard. And if I get free passes to NYCC in October, I am going. Maybe with a respirator and a box of gloves, but I'm going!

Edited by the blob

SDCC has been described by many boardies as a great thing to experience in person.  NYCC as well.

I can't see how an online alternative could be made to work on the same emotional level.  A bit lightweight, detached or sterile.  

The physical vs digital comics argument again.

Edited by Ken Aldred

I used to have to work the SDCC.  Trapped behind a booth, hundred's of thousands of people, traveling across the country, and jet lag.  To be honest I don't miss it.  The free dinners at nice restaurants were nice the first couple of years.  That even got old.  

Doesn't this hobby, and every other one, already have an online convention called ebay? It's open 24/7/365, there's millions of sellers, billions of buyers, unlimited floor and retail space, many of the SDCC vendors already sell there and when you have to use the rest room there aren't any lines?  hm

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

If they managed to some how hold SDCC, I wonder how many people would break lockdown to go

Sad to say probably way to many.

People still gather in large groups here in Toronto even with  the city on lock down

1 hour ago, Xela said:

If they managed to some how hold SDCC, I wonder how many people would break lockdown to go

There is zero chance they can hold it if they are still in lockdown. (shrug)

13 hours ago, goodrockrich said:

I used to have to work the SDCC.  Trapped behind a booth, hundred's of thousands of people, traveling across the country, and jet lag.  To be honest I don't miss it.  The free dinners at nice restaurants were nice the first couple of years.  That even got old.  

Sorry but I'll have to disagree.

Great show,  worth the time,  the work, the jet lag.  Still my best show.  NEVER gets old

15 hours ago, the blob said:

"Even if it were not, would anyone risk their or their families health to attend the event this year?"

Unless we're told to stay home by the governor I fully intend to live my life as normal come July and August. By mid-May I will have been housebound for 2 months. Mid-June will be 3. My kids have probably had physical school closed for this school year (our mayor and governor are fighting over it, but it will happen). My 8 year old had a breakdown over online schooling today. He said he is fine dropping out of school and working at mcdonalds. I have paid for a membership at a beach club and we're going to use it. Admittedly, having a space at a beach club where you can distance yourself from others a bit is not quite the same as being on top of others at a convention or sporting event. But I am not going to be doing this in July and August. Nope. It would be smarter if they could contemplate doing it in August though. Another month. People will be dying (no pun intended) to go out and do stuff. I don't know how people can cope in San Diego right now with their great weather. And the smog has lifted from L.A.? It has been lousy here, so staying inside most days has not been so hard. And if I get free passes to NYCC in October, I am going. Maybe with a respirator and a box of gloves, but I'm going!

I get my free pass and this might be the proverbial straw that makes me stay at home from NYCC this year. 

tons will go if it's held and the lockdown has ended. just as tons will go out again to bars and restaurants too, to celebrate life and our newfound freedom again. 

but it's extremely unlikely that an event that size will be permitted this summer. way too soon. it would certainly start a new surge in cases unto itself. no sporting events, and no cons, until at least fall. it's fairly obvious this will be the way things go. at least in california. i'll personally miss torpedo con more than sdcc. 

3 hours ago, blazingbob said:

Sorry but I'll have to disagree.

Great show,  worth the time,  the work, the jet lag.  Still my best show.  NEVER gets old

San Diego is a beautiful city. I was there a week before SDCC a few years ago, just lovely.

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I get my free pass and this might be the proverbial straw that makes me stay at home from NYCC this year. 

It is in October. If we're still hiding in October I might throw myself in front of one of our packed subway cars.