• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
1 1

153 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, the blob said:

How is the 5 page preview free on a $1 comic?

:signfunny: I dont do math, but $1 for all the 5 page preview you want, it's called rereading the 5 page preview, now that may be the only sound competition  :roflmao:

4 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’ve reread this post 5 times...

Still confused :insane:

Ya rereading is like explaining a joke, no longer funny, except for $1 you get all the free you want!

:flipbait:

But to answer more perfectly you may be a dollarairre finding that in your bin @THE_BEYONDER

But what I meant was as @the blob pointed out if they can market $1 for a free five page preview

The only sound competition would be to sell the free 5 page preview for $1 marketing it by all the free 5page preview you want...

Dad joke I guess

I got this raw from @Comics4All back in a grading contest on the boards.....

I think it may have been my first, but perhaps second contest 

Still for the cost to grade :takeit:

3345194_Full_Obv.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

I dont have much darkhawk stuff, used bookstore does or did

Along with most of yet an incomplete run of ROM

Still love to browse there, if I can, sometimes there is silver age or gold quality  finds, but still, its hit or miss.

I've searched for boardies who have been into darkhawk though

:tink: glad there is a registry for it. I remember 5 fingered discounts of issues when as a kid I'd go for the series, but I couldnt help think of it as corny or similarly corny to other issues. Not everything comes across as well established yet I can dig it now. I remember a comicbookmen episode where Kevin Smith pointed out you cant make fun of a series and then turn around and say "I like superman :sumo:"

For some odd reason that morality always stuck with me :roflmao:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

One of the best Darkhawk posts I've seen on the social media was this one:

DARKHAWK COSPLAY ACCESSORY - $25

Cultivator Gardening Tool | Pottery Barn

s-l1600.jpg

Darkhawk really had all of the early '90s going on, didn't he. Obviously gotta give him the three claws because Wolverine is so popular. Teenage hero in the style of Spider-man. Dark vigilante because Punisher.

9 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Darkhawk really had all of the early '90s going on, didn't he. Obviously gotta give him the three claws because Wolverine is so popular. Teenage hero in the style of Spider-man. Dark vigilante because Punisher.

True it had a lot of appeal to pick it up and read it that's for sure. Seemed short-lived for my age group when compared to the shroud, nightwatch, sleepwalker, or even the shroud. We still had fun picking our favorites at the time.  :x

3 minutes ago, Comics4All said:

@ADAMANTIUM Glad you liked it ! 

I do. I have a love hate with it cause my best friend at the time picked shroud as his favorite. He's no longer with us, so I'm a bit in nervous territory cause I'd want to rehash good times, but c'est la vie, it also is what it is. I enjoy the covers a lot, seemed different than your mystery shroud or creepy sleepwalker. I remember us voting to see which would last the longest as a series 😂

38 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I do. I have a love hate with it cause my best friend at the time picked shroud as his favorite. He's no longer with us, so I'm a bit in nervous territory cause I'd want to rehash good times, but c'est la vie, it also is what it is. I enjoy the covers a lot, seemed different than your mystery shroud or creepy sleepwalker. I remember us voting to see which would last the longest as a series 😂

Sorry to hear about your friend

Hope the book gives good memories! :tink:

2 hours ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

True it had a lot of appeal to pick it up and read it that's for sure. Seemed short-lived for my age group when compared to the shroud, nightwatch, sleepwalker, or even the shroud. We still had fun picking our favorites at the time.  :x

When Darkhawk came out, there were multiple new characters released at the same time (in their own titles).  Including Sleepwalker and Slapstick.  I think I'm forgetting a 4th character.  I remember people choosing one of the new characters and making them their own.  Personally, I really liked Sleepwalker.  But it seemed like Darkhawk was the biggest winner of the group.  Move forward 25-30 years later and you have the Flying Donut theory (nostalgia for the early interest). 

Patrick

14 hours ago, the blob said:

How is the 5 page preview free on a $1 comic?

Because they were already going to charge $1 before they included the Darkhawk preview pages.  That makes the preview pages "free", like the "free" toy in a kid's happy meal.

Edited by valiantman

Just now, valiantman said:

Because they were already going to charge $1 before they included the Darkhawk preview pages.  That makes the preview pages "free".

Marvel Age went from 25 cents to $1 in like 8 years. That's impressive inflation! It was a toss in purchase with your spare change at first (yes, I bought it at the beginning .. same price as a game of Frogger, why not?), but eventually got to be the same price as a regular comic.

3 minutes ago, the blob said:

Marvel Age went from 25 cents to $1 in like 8 years. That's impressive inflation! It was a toss in purchase with your spare change at first (yes, I bought it at the beginning .. same price as a game of Frogger, why not?), but eventually got to be the same price as a regular comic.

Marvel Age was just advertising, so it was a marketing brainstorm to say, "What if we make them PAY for the commercials, too?" 

I'd guess someone replied "They're not going to pay for our advertisements" to which the first guy would have said "They will if it looks like a comic book."

Voila.

11 hours ago, followtheleader said:

When Darkhawk came out, there were multiple new characters released at the same time (in their own titles).  Including Sleepwalker and Slapstick.  I think I'm forgetting a 4th character.  I remember people choosing one of the new characters and making them their own.  Personally, I really liked Sleepwalker.  But it seemed like Darkhawk was the biggest winner of the group.  Move forward 25-30 years later and you have the Flying Donut theory (nostalgia for the early interest). 

Patrick

Please let me know when Slapstick pops:wishluck: