• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
1 1

153 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, kairos70 said:

Oh boy, here we go again. Another two day shut down because of bickering.

There’s bickering and then there’s degrading everyone on the boards and being somewhat sexist/misogynistic. 

FWIW I did not hit any buttons — don’t even know where it is — but I will not comment on this anymore. 

3 minutes ago, manetteska said:

There’s bickering and then there’s degrading everyone on the boards and being somewhat sexist/misogynistic. 

FWIW I did not hit any buttons — don’t even know where it is — but I will not comment on this anymore. 

True, but even when most of the responses fall on the right side of a discussion the Mods have to shut it down because an insufficiently_thoughtful_person  doesn't know when to quit.

1 minute ago, manetteska said:

Junk like the thread getting locked is really torquing me off. Isn't there a better way?  Can't the person get a temp ban without having to lock it?  Would have been instantly over. 

Patrick

5 minutes ago, followtheleader said:
20 minutes ago, manetteska said:

Junk like the thread getting locked is really torquing me off. Isn't there a better way?  Can't the person get a temp ban without having to lock it?  Would have been instantly over. 

Patrick

It's the weekend . . . it'll be fixed by the time you wake up in the morning. :foryou: 

(It torques us all off.)

Are people seeing mass sell-outs of new monthly books? 

Really more interested in the big 2.  Doesn't surprise me at all for non-Marvel/DC books, including Image.  Also, 2 or more consecutive issues as a single issue sell out happens from time to time. 

Nearly every month our stores are out of Thor and X-men.   Those are the 2 consistent books that are obvious, but there are others like DD and Darth Vader to a lesser extent. 

Why in the world is Thor 7 selling out?  Because of Cates?  Because #5 was/is hot?  

X-men 12?  Because of an X of Swords cross-over?  Didn't make sense to me as the solo X of Swords book was beyond plentiful.  

Initially thought it was a store ordering issue (which made sense for Thor 5).  But I've been to numerous stores both small and large.  One of the large stores confirmed they bought a ton of Thor 7 and sold out in 24 hours.  

Pull me back from the ledge.  With so many gaps being caused by this and the # of overall titles reduced from pre-COVID, I've been thinking about no longer buying new monthlies. 

Before I get this reply, I definitely don't want a hold slot.  Shops could care less about the grade of the book.  

Patrick

14 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Yes, from Alberta.

I think it’s the combination of stores being careful with order numbers in COVID times, and the general current spec mentality.  That’s not to mention the fact Marvel and DC appear to be wise to the idea that new characters and first apps sell books.

1 minute ago, 500Club said:

Yes, from Alberta.

I think it’s the combination of stores being careful with order numbers in COVID times, and the general current spec mentality.  That’s not to mention the fact Marvel and DC appear to be wise to the idea that new characters and first apps sell books.

Just look at the recent Batman run - Punchline, Clown Hunter and Ghost Maker all within 11-13 issues. Wolverine 6 has a new first appearance. Venom has had a few. It's pretty crazy...

20 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Really more interested in the big 2.  Doesn't surprise me at all for non-Marvel/DC books, including Image.  Also, 2 or more consecutive issues as a single issue sell out happens from time to time. 

Nearly every month our stores are out of Thor and X-men.   Those are the 2 consistent books that are obvious, but there are others like DD and Darth Vader to a lesser extent. 

Why in the world is Thor 7 selling out?  Because of Cates?  Because #5 was/is hot?  

X-men 12?  Because of an X of Swords cross-over?  Didn't make sense to me as the solo X of Swords book was beyond plentiful.  

Initially thought it was a store ordering issue (which made sense for Thor 5).  But I've been to numerous stores both small and large.  One of the large stores confirmed they bought a ton of Thor 7 and sold out in 24 hours.  

Pull me back from the ledge.  With so many gaps being caused by this and the # of overall titles reduced from pre-COVID, I've been thinking about no longer buying new monthlies. 

Before I get this reply, I definitely don't want a hold slot.  Shops could care less about the grade of the book.  

Patrick

Thor #7 & X-men #12 had first appearances of sorts and surprise endings so with that being said I don't want to give away any spoilers. Those two titles are heavily solicited by the five stores in my area. These stores strictly monitor their sales so it's one copy per customer-no exceptions. If a title happens to sell out then it's usually happens because there is a significant event in the story arc. It's not like speculators are coming in and buying up all the copies. 

Edited by kairos70

Just now, 500Club said:

Yes, from Alberta.

Out of curiosity, does your store(s) allow more than 1 issue to be purchased of a title? 

Experience people buying more than 1 at a time? 

I agree on the ordering.  I COMPLETELY get it for the majority of books.  But there are a few that currently make little sense to order low on (including Batman).  

Also agree on the spec mentality.  Just trying to understand the mindset of books like Thor 7 and X-men 12.  Almost residual based on the past success of an issue in the title. 

Patrick

13 minutes ago, followtheleader said:

Out of curiosity, does your store(s) allow more than 1 issue to be purchased of a title? 

I agree on the ordering.  I COMPLETELY get it for the majority of books.  But there are a few that currently make little sense to order low on (including Batman).  

Also agree on the spec mentality.  Just trying to understand the mindset of books like Thor 7 and X-men 12.  Almost residual based on the past success of an issue in the title. 

Patrick

I hit most of the stores in both Calgary and Edmonton at least once a month.  Some limit buys to 1-2 copies per.  Some are open buy.  Despite that, there are books that sell out, including well ordered books like Batman and Venom.

FOMO and the sheer volume of spec sites and internet information seems to drive things.  X-Men 12 was a Wednesday sellout, despite issue 2 being the first app of the High Summoner.  That’s all due to spec chatter; it’s not like the masses had read the book at that point.

Yeah, I've sold some 365 newsstands and some random 1st app copper newsstands (1st Forge) at a nice price compared to regular copies. Haven't had much time to go diving in boxes, but those always catch my eye.

12 hours ago, followtheleader said:

Patrick

There is healthy volume on both books just shops are ordering less. Online retailers have no shortage of these books, but of the 2 X-men 12 would be
harder to find. Cates had the Thor train running well If I wasnt too lazy I would look up the numbers on his run to see how it is doing.

365 I think peaked last last weekend (not this past weekend) There still aren’t nearly as many for sale as the direct edition, but the sold prices on newsstands seem to be inconsistent.

I did pick up two more newsstand copies at the little show here in town, just in case this has legs. There have to be tons of these out there, even as newsstand edition. I think the real thing is finding a NM or NM+ newsie of the book.