• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay!
1 1

153 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, the blob said:

I suppose we could follow the rule that if it isn't something you'd say in front of 20 co-workers then maybe don't say it here? (Yeah, I know, virtually nothing we talk about would be discussed in front of 20 co-workers...)

Agree...

14 hours ago, littledoom said:

Slingers 0 Wizard... now if only my 3 #1 variants would finally explode I’ll sell em.. of all beloved 90s characters Dusk is getting its own spin-off.. Night Thrasher is getting lost in the fray.. what happened to Darkhawk and Nightwatch.. they were supposed to be getting their own treatments 

Darkhawk has never been mentioned by a credible source.
Spike Lee said he wanted to direct a Nightwatch movie. Again, I don't think it was ever actually in development.

10 hours ago, Hey Kids, Comics! said:

I think most of the Darkhawk fever started when they released the Marvel Legends figure in a GOTG line prior to the second movie coming out. 

I should read some of my darkharks. Sounds like there is a cult following. The premise sounds stupid ("found" amulet), but I assume they figured out how to make it work?

7 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I was under the impression that "Darkhawk" became "popular" again because it was a running joke on social media.  It seemed like everything was "getting hot" based on rumors of future streaming/movies so why not Darkhawk, right?

As things go on the internet, people didn't realize the whole thing was a joke... and now Darkhawk actually has both a "cult following" and a resale value above the 50-cents it held for 25+ years.

The character has had a cult following for a while. Nothing to warrant raw prices being over $1, though. However, CGC 9.8s of issue #1 have been selling for around $100 since 2013. Not a bad profit for a book that could have been had for $0.50 for the longest time.

13 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I was under the impression that "Darkhawk" became "popular" again because it was a running joke on social media.  It seemed like everything was "getting hot" based on rumors of future streaming/movies so why not Darkhawk, right?

As things go on the internet, people didn't realize the whole thing was a joke... and now Darkhawk actually has both a "cult following" and a resale value above the 50-cents it held for 25+ years.

I really have no idea. I didn't read it when it was getting published. It does seem like some people here acted like they read and enjoyed the title back in the day and were nostalgic about it. Yes, they got more nostalgic when #1 became worth something, no doubt. 

It reminded me of the running joke for SuperPro.  Anytime someone talks about "what's hot" and a book from the 1990s is mentioned, sure enough, SuperPro will be posted soon after. lol

There were several Facebook collector groups, in particular, where guys were posting Darkhawk #1 as if it was a big deal... in jest... because the ones posting the book were clearly the same guys who had stacks of them they had pulled from bargain boxes for decades.  The "newbies", though, didn't know that.  Before you know it... $300+ for CGC 9.8 Darkhawk #1 is being paid and posted to the same Facebook groups by those newbies ("Look what I can do!"), who think they got a bargain for picking up one for $250.

Laughing all the way to the bank couldn't be more literal than the Darkhawk #1 joke results.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

I really have no idea. I didn't read it when it was getting published. It does seem like some people here acted like they read and enjoyed the title back in the day and were nostalgic about it. Yes, they got more nostalgic when #1 became worth something, no doubt. 

I read it all the way up to around 25 and was also reading New Warriors and Thunderbolts as well. I enjoyed them, but there was nothing remarkable about the character. I like the T Bolts best just because it a fresh viewpoint with villains.

1 hour ago, valiantman said:

It reminded me of the running joke for SuperPro.  Anytime someone talks about "what's hot" and a book from the 1990s is mentioned, sure enough, SuperPro will be posted soon after. lol

There were several Facebook collector groups, in particular, where guys were posting Darkhawk #1 as if it was a big deal... in jest... because the ones posting the book were clearly the same guys who had stacks of them they had pulled from bargain boxes for decades.  The "newbies", though, didn't know that.  Before you know it... $300+ for CGC 9.8 Darkhawk #1 is being paid and posted to the same Facebook groups by those newbies ("Look what I can do!"), who think they got a bargain for picking up one for $250.

Laughing all the way to the bank couldn't be more literal than the Darkhawk #1 joke results.

I'll take your word for it. I can't speak to CGC 9.8s, but I don't think the 200 or so ebay raw sales a month in the $15-$30 range are purely the result of people getting the wool pulled over their eyes. As for SuperPro. My understanding is that he will be the next Captain America. I will be laughing all the way to the bank thank you very much.

19 minutes ago, the blob said:

I'll take your word for it. I can't speak to CGC 9.8s, but I don't think the 200 or so ebay raw sales a month in the $15-$30 range are purely the result of people getting the wool pulled over their eyes. 

There are too many examples of "we weren't actually serious, but they thought we were, so it was serious to them" in collecting, politics, academics, science, and entertainment to list.

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I'll take your word for it. I can't speak to CGC 9.8s, but I don't think the 200 or so ebay raw sales a month in the $15-$30 range are purely the result of people getting the wool pulled over their eyes. As for SuperPro. My understanding is that he will be the next Captain America. I will be laughing all the way to the bank thank you very much.

But...it really is though. valiant is correct about it being a combination of a running joke and a cult following.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

Oh criminey, I had been stockpiling issue #1 thinking it was his first app when it is, in fact, the Superbowl Special. Dreams of retirement crushed even when they make the SUperPro movie...

I'm sure I've told this story before, but when I was a kid, NFL SuperPro seemed like a sure fire investment to me. It's football! It's superheroes! Who doesn't love football and superheroes? (I don't care for football myself, but anyway...)

I sought out the NFL SuperPro trading card, and bought one at a comic show at a local shopping mall for $7, which was a big investment at the age of 12 or whatever for a piece of cardboard. Now, not only is the card worth only a fraction of that (maybe a buck?) I'm not even sure where it is.

As for Darkhawk, it may seem like a joke to a lot of us, but there are a lot of people who legit LOVE that character. When I was a kid, he was huge with the other kids I ran around with, as was New Warriors. I think that generation has come into its own, and still likes the stuff. I never got the appeal, and I'm sure there's a "haha Darkhawk" contingent, but a lot of folks straight up think he's cool. Who am I to argue? I've never read a Darkhawk comic, but the costume is pretty cool!

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

As for Darkhawk, it may seem like a joke to a lot of us, but there are a lot of people who legit LOVE that character. When I was a kid, he was huge with the other kids I ran around with, as was New Warriors. I think that generation has come into its own, and still likes the stuff. I never got the appeal, and I'm sure there's a "haha Darkhawk" contingent, but a lot of folks straight up think he's cool. Who am I to argue? I've never read a Darkhawk comic, but the costume is pretty cool!

OK, this is what I was asking/wondering, it does seem like there are people with a genuine fondness for the book. Now, whether those people are actually buying copies on ebay rather than already owning 10 copies is a whole other issue.

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

One of the best Darkhawk posts I've seen on the social media was this one:

DARKHAWK COSPLAY ACCESSORY - $25

Cultivator Gardening Tool | Pottery Barn

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by valiantman