• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuable book by artist game
1 1

139 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Charlie Adlard of Walking Dead fame.  Please include variants and limited offerings.  I am quite curious.  @Sensei Ryan @ADAMANTIUM @StephenWA and @MrWalkingDead can likely help!!!!

I don't know anything about Walking Dead, the show or the comic. So I cheated by finding this on the Internets: http://www.recalledcomics.com/WalkingDead116ThirdPrint.php

11 minutes ago, letsgrumble said:

I don't know anything about Walking Dead, the show or the comic. So I cheated by finding this on the Internets: http://www.recalledcomics.com/WalkingDead116ThirdPrint.php

Yeah that is a valuable one but perhaps not the most.   Would like the experts to weigh in.  There are about 2x the number of books in the census versus this article from 2016. Interesting of the 33 9.8s in existence, there are 5 on eBay right now.  However scarcity does not always mean the most valuable.   I mean to me... a book where the only difference is "Second Printing" and "Third Printing" below the price is not very exciting.

Edited by BladeTX

1 minute ago, BladeTX said:

Yeah that is a valuable one but perhaps not the most.   Would like the experts to weigh in.  There are about 2x the number of books in the census versus this article from 2016. Interesting of the 33 9.8s in existence, there are 5 on eBay right now.  However scarcity does not always mean the most valuable.

Supply and DEMAND baby!

55 minutes ago, BladeTX said:

Charlie Adlard of Walking Dead fame.  Please include variants and limited offerings.  I am quite curious.  @Sensei Ryan @ADAMANTIUM @StephenWA and @MrWalkingDead can likely help!!!!

image.png.7902ae314391af92e110bb7aac2efe46.pngimage.png.ff03bd4897ccc66d4365514b90cfff88.png

To me, these are the two most valuable produced variants from Charlie Adlard (not the most valuable TWD variants, but two that multiple people could have exact copies of).  That's what this thread is about, right? :)   I would place my bet on the 35 Error being the most 'valuable' of the two, but it all depends on the season, tbh...

Honorable mentions are 100 Red Foil / 100 Lucille editions...

For Jim Lee, I will second the issue of Batman 608 that was retailer incentive. Super rare and always sells for close to a grand.

For Bill S, his Moon Knight 1 1:75 variant from 2014 seems to consistently bring big money. Yes, the occassional super high grade copy of Moon Knight 29 gets closer to $150-200 but I feel the variant is always more when it sells. 

39 minutes ago, goodrockrich said:

Sometimes you have to ask yourself what else can you buy with $4471? hm

I totally agree with this comment!!!  Give me an awesome original Hero Initiative book for $1,000.... I'll take that over some obscure 3rd print anyday.

20 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

How about Michael Kaluta? Love his covers and art but does he have a mega key or super valuable book? If he does it’s escaping me at the moment...

I feel the same way-  his House of Mystery's from the early 70's to the mid-80's are my favorites.  He was just perfect for those.  I liked his work better than Wrightson's and Adams' on those, overall.  Actually, you take away HOS 92, and what does Wrightson have as a mega key?  

It's actually a good thing really, in that if you are primarily a fan of art over 1st appearances, then you can get a lot of the fantastic Kaluta and Wrightson stuff at a reasonable price in fairly nice condition. 

29 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Yeah Kaluta books are reasonable and great. Love the few Batman issues he did, and love his House of Mystery stuff. My all time favourite covers though were for Doorway To Nightmare, especially issue 3 I think. 

I just bought a set of 1-3 in VF condition for 30 bucks off the bay a couple of months ago.  #3 is great but there are lot of copies that have the red "bleed through" on that blue cover, kind of like Submariner 5.  I need a nice Doorway #5 but that one isn't as common as the others.

I see a huge similarity between the first issue of Doorway and the cover to Classic X-Men #3.  As innovative as Art Adams was, I think what Kaluta was doing in the 70's had a huge influence on the earlier Adams stuff.   

Classic_X-Men_Vol_1_3.jpg

Doorway_to_Nightmare_1.jpg

Hmm you are right, they are similar.

I feel very fortunate as I got all five issues this year for $2 a pop in back issue bins at a local collectibles store. What does the bleed through loom like? I checked my copy of issue 3 and it seems flawless aside from a spine tick or two.

Kaluta has a ton, a ton, of great covers. I always fancied this one among his later stuff.

709863.jpg

I count myself among the lucky few who have actually had Mike follow through and mail me my commission. He even told me how lucky I was once when I tried to work that angle again! Sadly it is long gone (The Shadow).

Edited by Bird

3 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Does he sign stuff if I mail him directly or is he someone I have to go to conventions to get stuff signed? I have a handful of stuff I would love to have him sign, truly an underappreciated and talked about artist. 

10-20 years ago he was legendary for not mailing things out.