• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Most valuable book by artist game
1 1

139 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

Hmm you are right, they are similar.

I feel very fortunate as I got all five issues this year for $2 a pop in back issue bins at a local collectibles store. What does the bleed through loom like? I checked my copy of issue 3 and it seems flawless aside from a spine tick or two.

That's a good score.  About a year ago I picked up the last 20 issues of HoM with the I, Vampire Kaluta covers for about a buck apiece from a 2nd and Charles used book store that had just opened up in my area.  They were pretty much untouched.  While those aren't quite as fantastic as the early 70's Kaluta covers, they are still very cool.

Here's a good example of the "bleed through" I was talking about on #3.  You can see it right on her forehead.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Doorway-to-Nightmare-3-CGC-9-8-DC-1978-New-Case-White-Pages-H7-116-cm/292650023126?hash=item44234cf8d6:g:4~kAAOSwNppbU9yi:sc:USPSPriority!79424!US!-1

Edited by Von Cichlid

But back to original query...would HOM 200 or Batman 248 be more preferred? Both are the highest ebay sales I can find for a book by him. You can get CGC 9.6 and 9.4 of issues like The Shadow 1 and others for under $100 but those two issues seem to be the only ones (recently) that have fetched over $100. 

2 hours ago, Von Cichlid said:

Actually, you take away HOS 92, and what does Wrightson have as a mega key?  

I feel like Wrightson has enough other stuff that sells regularly. Swamp Thing issues, he had other House of Secrets issues that sell well. I would say he is more talked about and people will jump on his stuff but you are right for mega keys, he has the one and maybe Swamp Thing #1 as just a regular level key. I would argue the large DC 100 Page Spectacular he drew with the black cover may be a hard one and valuable one. Only 22 copies graded 9.0 or better and no 9.8's. I would think if those came to market or sold, they would easily be $100-200 books.  

4 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

But back to original query...would HOM 200 or Batman 248 be more preferred? Both are the highest ebay sales I can find for a book by him. You can get CGC 9.6 and 9.4 of issues like The Shadow 1 and others for under $100 but those two issues seem to be the only ones (recently) that have fetched over $100. 

GP results.

HOS 200

$4602
--
--
--
$360Nov 2018

Batman 248

--
--
--
--
$375Oct 2017

I would call it a draw.  There isn't much data.

17 hours ago, goodrockrich said:

GP results.

HOS 200

$4602
--
--
--
$360Nov 2018

Batman 248

--
--
--
--
$375Oct 2017

I would call it a draw.  There isn't much data.

Weird Mystery Tales #1 in 9.8 is a $1000 book

On 4/15/2020 at 12:51 PM, Sensei Ryan said:

image.png.7902ae314391af92e110bb7aac2efe46.pngimage.png.ff03bd4897ccc66d4365514b90cfff88.png

To me, these are the two most valuable produced variants from Charlie Adlard (not the most valuable TWD variants, but two that multiple people could have exact copies of).  That's what this thread is about, right? :)   I would place my bet on the 35 Error being the most 'valuable' of the two, but it all depends on the season, tbh...

Honorable mentions are 100 Red Foil / 100 Lucille editions...

That 116 3rd print is def. the rarest of the rare of the Walking Dead's--unless you include the "Here's Negan" Adlard sketches-- the one thing about the 116 is years ago there were only supposedly "XX" graded- but if one sold- another one always seem to materialize- so who really knows how many exist--- also some of the blue label 116s might have turned into yellow labels and the census doesn't normally delete them unless someone request it-  The 3rd print is big $$$-  Its one the highest priced Dead books to buy- even more than the Hero Initiative covers--plus they only come from Charlies' shop in England-  (sweet book Ryan)

On 4/15/2020 at 4:51 PM, BladeTX said:

Charlie Adlard of Walking Dead fame.  Please include variants and limited offerings.  I am quite curious.  @Sensei Ryan @ADAMANTIUM @StephenWA and @MrWalkingDead can likely help!!!!

The Walking Dead: Here's Negan Preview Sketch edition (just 25 copies, with hand-drawn cover)

Edited by StephenWA
typo

17 hours ago, Chuck Gower said:

Dave Stevens

Mike Grell

Jim Valentino

Marc Silvestri

Ron Lim

Frank Brunner

Jim Aparo

I'm not cheating by doing research these are just best guesses off the top of my head-

Valentino- Guardians of the Galaxy 1

Silvestri- X-Men 221

Ron Lim- Silver Surfer 44

Man, these late copper age artists, as good as many of them were, are kind of sparse when it comes to keys.  Still, it's when I collected the first time, so it is still by far my favorite era of comics.  At Marvel in the late 80's and until about 91 the possibilities were just endless.  That exodus to Image, to me, was the largest nail in the coffin to the classic, or "innocent" era of comics.  THat's a conversation for another thread, though.

45 minutes ago, Von Cichlid said:

I'm not cheating by doing research these are just best guesses off the top of my head-

Valentino- Guardians of the Galaxy 1

Silvestri- X-Men 221

Ron Lim- Silver Surfer 44

Nice! Yeah that's probably a pretty on target guesstimation, but none of the those books are valuable...

Just doing a quick eBay glance...

Valentino- Guardians of the Galaxy 1 - last auction was $61!

Silvestri- X-Men 221 - $200

Ron Lim- Silver Surfer 44 - $140

45 minutes ago, Von Cichlid said:

Man, these late copper age artists, as good as many of them were, are kind of sparse when it comes to keys.  Still, it's when I collected the first time, so it is still by far my favorite era of comics.  At Marvel in the late 80's and until about 91 the possibilities were just endless.  That exodus to Image, to me, was the largest nail in the coffin to the classic, or "innocent" era of comics.  THat's a conversation for another thread, though.

Well... it was a time when Marvel really started to grow and become very prosperous and the new guys saw what happened to those older artists... used up and spit out, while the company grew bigger. And so they stopped creating FOR Marvel and saved some of those ideas for themselves...

4 hours ago, StephenWA said:

The Walking Dead: Here's Negan Sketch edition (just 25 copies, with hand-drawn cover)

I would have mentioned this but I operated under the premise that since all 25 of those covers are 'different' that the book wouldn't be a variant to discuss in this, even though it technically is.  To me, that variant is in a class all to itself but I do believe it's the hardest to acquire TWD book period (next to the Hyundai which has many more copies rumored to exist). Till the next one pops up, that is...