• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crossover from CBCS to CGC
3 3

44 posts in this topic

I just purchased a couple CBCS books and was thinking of crossing them over to CGC.  I was just wondering if anyone has experience doing this in regard to grade?  Did it go up, go down or stay the same?  I also seem to remember CGC offering a discount on crossover grading.  Is this still true?  Thanks again in advance.

36 minutes ago, goodrockrich said:

I just purchased a couple CBCS books and was thinking of crossing them over to CGC.  I was just wondering if anyone has experience doing this in regard to grade?  Did it go up, go down or stay the same?  I also seem to remember CGC offering a discount on crossover grading.  Is this still true?  Thanks again in advance.

From what i have heard CBCS has a stricter grading criteria for 9.8, just what I heard, but i imagine you will get some decent feedback on the subject

I did a bunch of PGX to CGC last year without a press.  Pretty much all stayed the same one went from 9.0 to a 9.4.  One did go down.  In retrospect I should have added the pressing on them. 

I have 18 more PGX and 2 CBCS ready to be graded now.  I know one is a low grade golden, so I just wanted it in a CGC holder, just like I wanted the PGX FF #4 to go into a CGC case. It has slight restoration, but I feel better having it in a CGC case. The other CBCS is a silver age book.  I will let you know how the CBCS come out.

Edited by toro

Yes they're still offering the discount for crossover submissions. What they're not doing anymore is the deeper discount of a flat 10 dollar grading fee if the crossover results in a downgrade. That ended long ago. 

I've had about 12 crossovers cbcs to cgc and all of them came back same grade. Only difference was one or two got a page quality upgrade. Overall I think cbcs crossovers kept their grades most of the time at better than 80% of the time

8 hours ago, goodrockrich said:

People were sharing their results here awhile back, and from my analysis, it was pretty much 33% of everything. 1/3 chance it'll stay the same grade. 1/3 chance you'll get a bump up. 1/3 chance you'll get a ding down.

The biggest chance lies in pre-Modern, where some companies may miss restoration (or sometimes full pages) *cough*PGX*cough*.

Voldemort has pretty good grading standards and their labels/cases are pretty nice. I would crossover any and all PGX books, though, for sure. If you go into the crossover with the mindset of a 1/3 chance of anything happening - I think you'll be happy with the outcomes.

I've only done one crossover from a Voldemort slab that I can remember, that was on a Bronze Age book and it dropped from a 9.8 to a CGC 9.6. Lost a couple hundred in value, but the other book from the same arc that I already owned was also a 9.6, so I was actually okay since it gave me a matching pair. I would expect Voldy to have similar grading criteria to CGC, but I wouldn't read anything into one or the other having higher standards at a certain level. It's all subjective and opinions/observations can vary, which is why we have the oft-mentioned looser vs. tighter grading periods at CGC. If you can find the thread that was started on the crossover service (when CGC started heavily promoting the discount) you'll see that the success rate varied, but the difference was rarely off by more than the next increment up or down.

32 minutes ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

People were sharing their results here awhile back, and from my analysis, it was pretty much 33% of everything. 1/3 chance it'll stay the same grade. 1/3 chance you'll get a bump up. 1/3 chance you'll get a ding down.

The biggest chance lies in pre-Modern, where some companies may miss restoration (or sometimes full pages) *cough*PGX*cough*.

Voldemort has pretty good grading standards and their labels/cases are pretty nice. I would crossover any and all PGX books, though, for sure. If you go into the crossover with the mindset of a 1/3 chance of anything happening - I think you'll be happy with the outcomes.

Thanks for the reply. I'm with you on PGX.  Personally I would never purchase a PGX book for my personal collection.  This being said I am a dealer and we do get PGX books offered  to us occasionally.  In most cases they are not even worth the cost of crossing over.  I had a buddy crack a PGX book and it had a coupon clipped.  UGH!  The CBCS books I purchased are War Fury 1 4.0 and Fight Comics 24 5.5.  If I had to guess I would say the Fight might go up and the War Fury might go down.  They are both going Standard so maybe I'll post the results. 

2 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

I've only done one crossover from a Voldemort slab that I can remember, that was on a Bronze Age book and it dropped from a 9.8 to a CGC 9.6. Lost a couple hundred in value, but the other book from the same arc that I already owned was also a 9.6, so I was actually okay since it gave me a matching pair. I would expect Voldy to have similar grading criteria to CGC, but I wouldn't read anything into one or the other having higher standards at a certain level. It's all subjective and opinions/observations can vary, which is why we have the oft-mentioned looser vs. tighter grading periods at CGC. If you can find the thread that was started on the crossover service (when CGC started heavily promoting the discount) you'll see that the success rate varied, but the difference was rarely off by more than the next increment up or down.

Is the crossover service still available?  And I like that "Voldemort slab"  Very clever.  Never mind.  I didn't see the posts at the top of the thread.

Edited by goodrockrich
User blindness.

3 hours ago, goodrockrich said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm with you on PGX.  Personally I would never purchase a PGX book for my personal collection.  This being said I am a dealer and we do get PGX books offered  to us occasionally.  In most cases they are not even worth the cost of crossing over.  I had a buddy crack a PGX book and it had a coupon clipped.  UGH!  The CBCS books I purchased are War Fury 1 4.0 and Fight Comics 24 5.5.  If I had to guess I would say the Fight might go up and the War Fury might go down.  They are both going Standard so maybe I'll post the results. 

Actually I don't mind buying PGX books if they have a good picture of the book.   They don't command a high premium that comes with a CGC book.  So to me it is like buying an Ebay raw NM.   You don't know what you are getting until you open it up. :insane:

Just now, toro said:

Actually I don't mind buying PGX books if they have a good picture of the book.   They don't command a high premium that comes with a CGC book.  So to me it is like buying an Ebay raw NM.   You don't know what you are getting until you open it up. :insane:

Same here.  I ask for really good front and back cover scans, like I do when i purchase a raw book.  

Good experience here, I sent in several 9.8 CBCS books and they came back 9.8. I was worried about one book in particular due to some wear, but no issue.

It sounds like the grading integrity is very strong (based on the results of some people getting back books with higher score, some with lower). We all want and need impartial grades that are based on the reality of the book, not based on past judgement that may or may not be accurate.

11 minutes ago, Coolio McCool said:

Good experience here, I sent in several 9.8 CBCS books and they came back 9.8. I was worried about one book in particular due to some wear, but no issue.

Cool. Cool cool cool. | Herstory, Nerd life, Comedy show

8 hours ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

Yeah PGX had more than their share of restoration misses. CBCS did way better than 60% in maintaining grade by my very anecdotal tally. I even saw a couple of cases where they over-detected restoration and they were returned as blue label. Its still tough having to sweat out results for higher value books no matter what 😓

If the OP is still wondering yes the service is still being offered at a discount