• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Crossover from CBCS to CGC
3 3

44 posts in this topic

I got the grades of my other order.  Of the 2 CBCS books, one went done a half grade and the other one stayed the same.

On the PGX this is the worst I have ever done with them.

The Good

3 went up
8 stayed the same

The Bad and Ugly

6 went down

The Good,the Bad and the Ugly

1 up, but qualified (there was nothing wrong when I sent it in)

Edited by toro

On 4/13/2020 at 11:08 PM, Hollywood1892 said:

From what i have heard CBCS has a stricter grading criteria for 9.8, just what I heard, but i imagine you will get some decent feedback on the subject

From someone that owns many 9.8 from both I can say not true at all

I've done 4-5 moderns and 1 copper, all 9.8, from CBCS to CGC.  I was fairly careful when selecting them and all the moderns stayed 9.8.  The 1 copper however dropped to a 9.6, and it was the most expensive of the bunch, so that was pretty disappointing.  I would absolutely recommend not getting a CBCS with the intention of doing a crossover unless you are completely prepared to eat a grade drop on that book. 

9 minutes ago, Hollywood1892 said:

From someone who owns absolutely zero CBCS products As I said

"It's what I heard"

Shouldn’t always repeat what you heard as it means nothing.

Helps nobody in anyway and makes you look inexperienced and just trying to be part of a conversation 

I did this once with a PGX book before the 'crossover' service began. It was a TOS 39 PGX 4.5 OW/W with a piece of tape on the cover. I had CCS remove the tape and press the book and it came back CGC 4.5 OW/W Universal. So I was pretty stoked about that.

2 minutes ago, Spiderphill said:

I bought an amazing Spider-Man 9 cbcs 8.0 universal on comic link. Crossed it over to CGC with their crossover service. Came back 8.5 Top and bottom trimmed. :cry:

:tonofbricks:

6 minutes ago, Spiderphill said:

I bought an amazing Spider-Man 9 cbcs 8.0 universal on comic link. Crossed it over to CGC with their crossover service. Came back 8.5 Top and bottom trimmed. :cry:

Always sucks to hear. Sorry man.

(Although technically, that still shows CBCS might be stricter aside from being absent minded)

Edited by William-James88

3 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

(Although technically, that still shows CBCS might be stricter aside from being absent minded)

All good. I was worried about the top edge but very surprised to see both top and bottom. I’m gonna resub it to CGC one of these days and see if they’re consistent. 

11 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

It's all anecdotal, but I really, really, really don't think they are stricter.  I've passed on a number of of 9.8 CBCS's on the bay because just by looking at the pictures I was pretty sure they would not come back a 9.8 with CGC.  Lot of them have highly visible color breaking ticks, and comments of same right in the notes.  I guess it's possible they are stricter on some things and more lenient on ticks, but in general they seem both more lenient and less consistent.

Thought I'd post a couple of Crossover results that I just got back from the Mothership in Florida. Paul~

Tower of Shadows #9 (CBCS 9.4 White/Off-White from the DNA Collection) ->cleaned and pressed-> CGC 9.8 (1 of 2 on the census at 9.8) White/Off-White. 

Tower of Shadows #6 (CBCS 9.6 White Suscha News) ->cleaned and pressed->CGC 9.6 White/Off-White.

On 7/23/2021 at 4:04 PM, PeterPark said:

Is there still a discount to do this versus a raw book? I didnt see it mentioned anywhere on the list of services.

No I dont believe there is, they did away with the discount if it came back lower grade, not sure but think they just have a set price they determined was fair...

On 7/23/2021 at 5:23 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

No I dont believe there is, they did away with the discount if it came back lower grade, not sure but think they just have a set price they determined was fair...

But where is that? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere so now it is the same as grading a raw book and there is no incentive to cross over except your other-company graded books will now say CGC and also might be different prices. Essentially, there is no crossover?

The crossover option appears when filling out the online submission form.

Out of curiosity, I filled out the first couple of pages twice. Once using the crossover option, once using regular modern grading. I used the same comic (FF #300) for both. The crossover option was more expensive than modern grading ... $22 vs $20

Edited by Gaard

On 7/24/2021 at 1:25 AM, PeterPark said:

But where is that? I didn't see it mentioned anywhere so now it is the same as grading a raw book and there is no incentive to cross over except your other-company graded books will now say CGC and also might be different prices. Essentially, there is no crossover?

Correct