• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voldemort
1 1

24 posts in this topic

I think I understand this whole "Voldemort" thing. What I don't understand is why he is a bad person because he wanted to start his own company. Isn't that the American dream?

Was the split acrimonious, or were they other contributing factors? I just want to figure out why he is held in such low regard.

2 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

I think I understand this whole "Voldemort" thing. What I don't understand is why he is a bad person because he wanted to start his own company. Isn't that the American dream?

Was the split acrimonious, or were they other contributing factors? I just want to figure out why he is held in such low regard.

Borock isn't "held in low regard".

"Voldemort" is CBCS' nickname because he 'turned to the dark side' and started his own group - just like Riddle in Harry Potter lore. It was also taboo to reference CBCS in the CGC board's past.

32 minutes ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

There was no split.  Steve went to work for several years at Heritage, and only then left to start up Voldemort.

And I concur, he most certainly isn't held in low regard by the vast majority of hobbyists.

Edited by namisgr

Just now, 33three said:

That's not how it happened at all. He worked for Heritage for 5 years. In fact, I think he had a non-compete clause where he couldn't open a new company for 5 years even if he wanted to.

Plus, he didn't start CBCS some rich kid named Alex Born did. He got ticked off at CGC and threw money at Borock to start a competitor.

Saying "Voldemort" is like saying HeWhoShallNotBeNamed and as mentioned you couldn't even say their name.

I hold Borock in low regard because of the shady and greedy things he did at CGC. The secret PCS attempt,  the collusion with Jay Parrino, the Manning auction, giving insider info to certain friends/dealers,  the manipulation of the hobby/Overstreet, etc. 

I would like to hear more information about the things you mentioned, unless it is considered taboo to discuss it.

1 hour ago, theCapraAegagrus said:

It's a real shame that CGC didn't follow up with bringing in scanning and image matching technology.  But seeing what's transpired over the 15 years since Steve's linked post, it's not surprising.  A digital database of high resolution scans was always the best way to determine if a comic that's been previously graded has been cracked, pressed, and resubmitted.  No way were they going to routinely use a method that would slow down the grading process and potentially damage their resubmission business - double whammy!

Edited by namisgr

On 4/14/2020 at 7:01 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Borock isn't "held in low regard".

"Voldemort" is CBCS' nickname because he 'turned to the dark side' and started his own group - just like Riddle in Harry Potter lore. It was also taboo to reference CBCS in the CGC board's past.

This old saw again. It is a true half truth. The reason that "Voldie" came into being was SOLELY because back in 2014 CGC posted an announcement that any talk about them or other TPGs was forbidden. It is from this and ONLY from this that we here embraced the Voldemort nickname. It had absolutely nothing to do with going over the to "the dark side." Problem with the internet is if you repeat the same lie enough it becomes a perceived truth.

And kudos for the "Borock isn't "held in low regard".'

Edited by PovertyRow

1 hour ago, PovertyRow said:

This old saw again. It is a true half truth. The reason that "Voldie" came into being was SOLELY because back in 2014 CGC posted an announcement that any talk about them or other TPGs was forbidden. It is from this and ONLY from this that we here embraced the Voldemort nickname. It had absolutely nothing to do with going over the to "the dark side." Problem with the internet is if you repeat the same lie enough it becomes a perceived truth.

Having worked with Steve for four years, I'd like to add a few things that I learned about him: 1) He really, REALLY loves comics.  2) He cares a lot about this hobby, and not just from a financial point of view.  3)  He was a great boss.  4)  He's probably one of the most well respected people in the business.  5)  He likes to eat (which worked out well for me, because so do I...)  lol  5)  I learned a lot from him, and he was always willing to pass along valuable insight. We didn't always see eye-to-eye, but there's no way I can hold him in "low regard." 

One thing I can tell you for sure---it's not easy running a company like CGC. There's an extraordinary amount of pressure from pretty much everyone. To be honest, I'm surprised Steve still wants to keep doing it. That alone shows me how much he "loves his gig..."    

On 4/14/2020 at 6:56 AM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

i knew of a father who built up a thriving family electrical business and then when his two sons got old enough he payed for their trade school,   they joined the business and he taught them them his trade secrets .. all was great until one son decided he knew more than anyone and was worth way more than anyone and decided to start up his own electrical business and had the audacity to try and steal his fathers loyal customers away ... in the end he was a success in destroying the family  .. and that's about it...

On 4/14/2020 at 9:56 AM, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Not sure how you got to this conclusion? Steve is still highly regarded in the collecting community.

Edited by taro90

12 hours ago, PovertyRow said:

I wasn't around back then, and this is what I read, and was told after I started posting. Just FYI.

10 hours ago, taro90 said:

Not sure how you got to this conclusion? Steve is still highly regarded in the collecting community.

Voldermort is the biggest villain in the Harry Potter universe. If you start calling someone a villain's name, it seems like that this person would not be well liked. If you told people that you call your boss "Doctor Doom" or "Thanos", is it really that hard to understand why these people would think you hold your boss in low regard?

Now that I have a better understanding of this situation, I can see why my original statement is incorrect.

2 minutes ago, namisgr said:

As POV wrote, "Voldemort" was the name easier to write out and accepted by Board moderation as the replacement for the original "he who must not be named".  :shy:

What even is your username? Every time I see it my dumb ace reads it as, "Name is Grr" in my head.