• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would CGC call this color touch?

25 posts in this topic

This was an eBay purchase many moons ago. Didn't even notice this little dot of whatever it is until I scanned the book and the giant scan popped up in Paint. Since this bit of purple is quite obviously not the same color as the cover, would CGC consider this a defect or color touch? I'd like to sub it.

CCI11152010_00002.jpg

10 minutes ago, gadzukes said:

I concur.  

Does it bleed thru?

Negative. The overprint of the 10c circle does a bit though. Sorry for the rotation, damn iPhone.

IMG_5457.JPG

Edited by mysterio

"Negative. The overprint of the 10c circle does a bit though. Sorry for the rotation, damn iPhone."

That's great news.

The purple can probably be lightly (and carefully) scraped off.  

If you choose to do it yourself always do the least amount you can, and don't be aggressive.  

If you choose to have a resto-removal pro do it, I don't think they will have any problem with this one.

Have you closely examined the rest of the cover for any other purple?

Edited by gadzukes

On 4/14/2020 at 11:55 AM, gadzukes said:

"Negative. The overprint of the 10c circle does a bit though. Sorry for the rotation, damn iPhone."

That's great news.

The purple can probably be lightly (and carefully) scraped off.  

If you choose to do it yourself always do the least amount you can, and don't be aggressive.  

If you choose to have a resto-removal pro do it, I don't think they will have any problem with this one.

Have you closely examined the rest of the cover for any other purple?

22 hours ago, SSkufan said:

Knew you were excited about this book.  Sorry to hear about this.

Took care of the issue, it will be off to CGC in our next sub (7-10 days). Will report back.

Just now, gadzukes said:

By "took care of the issue" you mean you removed the purple?  Any issues?

....."removing the purple"... it's almost like you snapped Thanos out of existence.

I did, and no real issues. Took more paper than I might have liked, but no purple remained.

12 minutes ago, mysterio said:

I did, and no real issues. Took more paper than I might have liked, but no purple remained.

Your close-up was an extreme close up, so I imagine even if you lost a little paper.... in the scheme of thing the comic still looks quite nice.  Can wee see a pic of the full cover? JIM 76 right?

This one came back recently and kind of bugged me.  CGC called it a color touch and I think it was just someone idly coloring on the cover.  After all, if you were trying to color touch the cover, why would you choose red on a green area and why would you have red on other areas to the left of the so-called "color touch?"  I thought it would just be a down grade like any other random coloring or marking on the cover.

562013868_realheroes4001.thumb.jpg.aed44d06151e6288c55492671882dded.jpg

realheroes4closeup.jpg.292500df8dd85ffba871a8605b9c3e9a.jpg

21 hours ago, walclark said:

This one came back recently and kind of bugged me.  CGC called it a color touch and I think it was just someone idly coloring on the cover.  After all, if you were trying to color touch the cover, why would you choose red on a green area and why would you have red on other areas to the left of the so-called "color touch?"  I thought it would just be a down grade like any other random coloring or marking on the cover.

realheroes4closeup.jpg.292500df8dd85ffba871a8605b9c3e9a.jpg

I agree with you unless there was any evidence of a "color break" under the red.  If there's no color break then WHY would any color be added.  In this case I think CGC got it wrong.... there's no intent to conceal a flaw.  You may want to ask about this one.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:02 AM, mysterio said:

This was an eBay purchase many moons ago. Didn't even notice this little dot of whatever it is until I scanned the book and the giant scan popped up in Paint. Since this bit of purple is quite obviously not the same color as the cover, would CGC consider this a defect or color touch? I'd like to sub it.

CCI11152010_00002.jpg

I don't thing CGC would deem this color touch. The intent of "traditional" color touch is to hide defects. I dont believe that's the intent here. 

5 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

I don't thing CGC would deem this color touch. The intent of "traditional" color touch is to hide defects. I dont believe that's the intent here. 

What was the intent?  The Purple was purposely placed there.  Why?  

Color blind restorer?

15 hours ago, Motor City Rob said:

I'd say there is about a 90% chance it would be deemed color touch. Even though minor, it did do a good job of hiding the abrasion up there at the corner, considering I didn't see it when I'd gone over the book several times. Only the blown up scan revealed it to me years later.

I'm pretty sure that purple would be considered C-1 color touch. It is not a professional-grade effort to restore the original appearance of the cover, but it does serve to (vaguely, at a distance) conceal the defect. It's not really any different that using a sharpie to fill in a scuff on a non-matching black field.

6 hours ago, Qalyar said:

I'm pretty sure that purple would be considered C-1 color touch. It is not a professional-grade effort to restore the original appearance of the cover, but it does serve to (vaguely, at a distance) conceal the defect. It's not really any different that using a sharpie to fill in a scuff on a non-matching black field.

+1. CGC won't beat around the bush. They'll purple label this with warp speed. It's color-touch. No getting around it with technicalities.