• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insurance
3 3

49 posts in this topic

No. Never. No.

Buy more comics with those insurance premiums. The only thing they'll ever buy is greens fees for your insurance salesman.

Personal Articles Policy with StateFarm.

Reasonable price because I have all my insurance with them. It essentially covers against everything, including when the books are with me away from the house and it covers them during shipping (which I just reconfirmed before sending a hefty batch to CGC). 

10 minutes ago, Greatness said:

Without disclosing your own personal cost per month, could you give me an example of the cost of your premium expressed as a percentage of your collection? That might allow me to estimate my cost without giving up any information as to the value of your own collection.  This would be a good way for a few of us to see how much is a fair market value for insurance on this stuff. 

I also wonder if opening a business would open up avenues of insurance not available to the general public.  For those of us already in business, it might be a relatively easy thing to do (Adding a DBA). Anyone done anything similar already?

0.448276% with a reasonable deductible. 

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is that month or year?:shy:

5 minutes ago, Greatness said:
11 minutes ago, loganparker said:

0.448276% with a reasonable deductible. 

Just making sure, but that is annually, not monthly, correct? If so, that's not bad at all.

I asked the same... lol

I'm also with state farm.....and in Texas;)

My policy for everything else is every 6 months, so that's what I'll guess but want to confirm...

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

7 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

I asked the same... lol

I'm also with state farm.....and in Texas;)

My policy for everything else is every 6 months, so that's what I'll guess but want to confirm...

That’s annually. 

I think it’s a great deal too. I’ve been with State Farm for over 20 years, have multiple polices with them and I live in Texas so I’m sure that plays into to price. Every few years I update it with any new additions to my collection. It’s really easy. 

I have it through C.I.S., Collectibles Insurance Services, LLC.  It's a freestanding policy, not involved with any other type of coverages like home, auto, etc.  It's about $500 annually for $30k coverage.  That is about 1.67%, and I'm sure it would be a lower % as your limit increases. 

It also allows for $3000 per shipment coverage via UPS or FedEx in either direction, provided there is a signature, which is the primary reason I got insured.  USPS coverage is a separate  and optional coverage.  There's a $200 deductible. 

I have no coverage for contents away from the scheduled premises (except for the already mentioned shipments), like if you were bringing your inventory to a show, but that is also obtainable.

In late February, I received an email from CGC with this headline: NGC, PMG and CGC Collaborate with ShipandInsure.com to Offer New Paid Member Benefit.  I haven't had a chance to look into that, but maybe someone here who has could comment on their findings.

These insurance threads come up from time to time and they baffle me. I mean I understand the question, but, but, but....

Shouldn't the question be who has had insurance and then had to file a claim because of theft, fire or whatever and how were they THEN treated and made (or not) made whole again by said insurance company?

The answers always seem to be: Oh my insurance company is great at collecting premiums. I highly recommend them!

I know I'm not the smartest guy here, but sometimes, come on guys....

Yeah, I'm about to pay a huge insurance bill for a huge comic. I dunno what to do. I have to. 

Edited by NoMan

1 minute ago, Greatness said:

Curious what the options for higher value books would be?

If you need higher coverage, you can go online at https://collectinsure.com/ to get a quote from CIS.  They will try to contact you in response to that, by phone or email, just a heads up.  Not pushy, they just want to know your level of interest, or if you have any other questions/requirements.

1 minute ago, NoMan said:

These insurance threads come up from time to time and they baffle me. I mean I understand the question, but, but, but....

Shouldn't the question be who has had insurance and then had to file a claim because of theft, fire or whatever and how were they THEN treated and made (or not) made whole again?

The answers always seem to be: Oh my insurance company is great at collecting premiums. I highly recommend them!

I would second that motion.  I have coverage, as mentioned, but no experience with a claim.  So I can't speak to that.  Maybe someone does and could relate to us how that went.

Price and broad coverage were the primary reasons I went with State Farm over the other independent collectible insurance companies out there. The difference in price and coverage was much greater than I would have thought. I was really surprised how much more I would have had to pay with less coverage. I haven’t had to file a claim for my comics yet so I can’t speak to that but I’ve always been treated fairly by them. 

3 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I say everyone gets a Safe Deposit Box. I love em!

And still gotta have insurance cause the bank don't insure what's in the box....:sorry:

No issues with humidity with a safe deposit box? I just assumed that would be an issue like with safes. Maybe it depends on the climate?

19 minutes ago, loganparker said:

No issues with humidity with a safe deposit box? I just assumed that would be an issue like with safes. Maybe it depends on the climate?

there are already threads about that and some people get real angry around here if something is asked that there's already a thread. But those guys are d-bags so forget about 'em.

I know folks with comics for years in Safe Boxes in Houston. No problem. Look up the putting comics in a Gun Safe thread from a couple of years around here. Good luck with the search function, tho. I'd try to find it for you but Dr. Phil is about to come on.

Basically, some people get all voodoo about it and put in little packs of whatever that stuff is that takes the humidity out of stuff. Little packs of salt or whatever that you're not suppose to eat. But what do you expect from a crowd suffering from OCD and other aliments that want their comics in a plastic tomb. Hey I kid, collect however and all. I've had books in a Safe Box for a couple of years now and no problem and it gets humid here at times. Plus the history of Safe Deposit Boxes is a rather interesting one. If you're kinda lucky you can peek what someone has in a box when you're in the vault together. But don't get caught! I saw an urn (human remains?) and something official looking aged document with a swastika on it.

Edited by NoMan

47 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I have it through C.I.S., Collectibles Insurance Services, LLC.  It's a freestanding policy, not involved with any other type of coverages like home, auto, etc.  It's about $500 annually for $30k coverage.  That is about 1.67%, and I'm sure it would be a lower % as your limit increases. 

It also allows for $3000 per shipment coverage via UPS or FedEx in either direction, provided there is a signature, which is the primary reason I got insured.  USPS coverage is a separate  and optional coverage.  There's a $200 deductible. 

I have no coverage for contents away from the scheduled premises (except for the already mentioned shipments), like if you were bringing your inventory to a show, but that is also obtainable.

In late February, I received an email from CGC with this headline: NGC, PMG and CGC Collaborate with ShipandInsure.com to Offer New Paid Member Benefit.  I haven't had a chance to look into that, but maybe someone here who has could comment on their findings.

what do you mean by "30K coverage"? I don't know but is $500 a year a lot?

6 minutes ago, Greatness said:

Well were waiting.gif

For what? What's on Dr. Phil? It's more Covid-19 information. Dr. Phil knows the deal. You know he doesn't like his wife, you know? He also has a weight alarm on his parking space so it goes off if anything is parked or set there and Paramont security has to come running. They can't stand him. Some old lady feel down in his audience and broke her leg. Paramedics had to come and he was pissed cause it delayed him going home.

15 minutes ago, Bakerbr13 said:

what do you mean by "30K coverage"? I don't know but is $500 a year a lot?

I would define that premium as usurious for that amount of coverage.