• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Insurance
3 3

49 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, NoMan said:

I'm not understanding how you just arrive at a price (without proof) and give it to your insurance company and they say "OK."

A detailed inventory of the books I own with their current value is all that’s required. I do have pics of my bigger books but that’s not something they requested. That’s how State Farm does it with their personal article policies. As I mentioned, I do have multiple policies with them and have been with them for over 20 years so who knows if that plays into it? I hope to never have to file a claim but should that arise, I’ve never had any issues with prior claims on my home and vehicles. 

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

I'm not understanding how you just arrive at a price (without proof) and give it to your insurance company and they say "OK."

there is plenty of quantifiable data out there on most CGC graded comic books, unless it's a super rare one. this info is often enough for any insurer of collectibles like CIS. if you wanted to insure fine artwork like a painting or sculpture with a non-collectibles insurance company like your home insurer, then you would indeed have to get it appraised. but it's not necessary to appraise hulk 181 in cgc 9.0. gpa, gocollect, heritage auctions all provide tons of data on its current value.

CIS also insures fine artwork now, and they told me that some kind of proof of what i paid for it like a receipt was sufficient. or if i acquired it by trade or other non purchase method, something from the artist stating the value of it. of course this does not account for how much it may appreciate by the time i have to make a claim. 

Thanks guys for all answers to my continued insurance questions.

I insure with American Collectors Insurance. $853 or so a year for a for a solid six figure book. (and it HAS to be in a Bank Safe Deposit Box - that part doesn't bother me as I like Safe Depost Boxes but what if I wanted to show it at a party with lines and girls in the hot tube?) Seriously tho, not sure I like em. I gotta figure this one out.

Edited by NoMan

For 853 a year I would want my entire collection insured and able to keep it at my house and possibly even cover books during transit. The state farm or similar option sounds great. Every 10 years you pay insurance on one book you could buy a ten grand comic. 

I like to gamble. No insurance here. Insurance companies make a lot of money. Why because people pay for something they never use. You are fine with keeping book in bank safety box. What are the odds the bank burns down or boxes get robbed? Great enough to pay for that insurance? Now if you let people know about your valuables, use space heaters, live in flood area, smoke in bed, or ship media mail then you need insurance. At least try to get a better deal. Your insurance sounds like the worst thing ever. You buy it from the talking lizard or what.

14 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

The only I way I have a 6 figure comic is if there are 3 figures AFTER the decimal point.

well my goal when I got back into collecting after working on my career for 30 years was to become The Greatest Comic-Book Collector In The World.

I don't think I speak for anyone when I say that many people have come to the conclusion that I am The Greatest Comic-Book Collector In The World. It seems like it would be kinda like a glory position but it's actually a lot of work. People calling and stopping by the house night and day asking what's "hot" and "what's the best book to buy to be able to sell and pay for their kid's college." A lot of people just want to tell me their mom threw away all their comic books or they use to have this comic or that comic. 

So the current hot book is She Hulk #1 (1978).

Edited by NoMan