• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I wish CCS would at least give me a choice
1 1

20 posts in this topic

I submitted a graded book where the graders notes mention non color breaking creases. I sent it to CCS with a prescreen option. They told me that they recommend not pressing and are sending me back my book. They won’t give me the option to continue with the pressing, which is what I want to do. They also won’t tell me why it was being rejected. It is annoying that my only option is to resubmit it once it gets back to me.

I’ve heard people say that getting a prescreen is like insurance. If CCS says it is good, but something bad happens during the press, it’s on them. That is why I got it. 

but if they say it is not good I would want to know why and then make the decision to go ahead or not. Then, it would be on me.

if they believe that if the book gets pressed and it will look the same as it did before the press, then I would go ahead with the press because there could still be a slight change the book would grade higher.

if they believe that the book would get damaged from a press then, yes, I would listen to that advice.

I assumed they would accept it because it was a 9.4 modern book with non color breaking creases. If I had known that I risk them sending me the book back without any option to move forward, I would not have selected the prescreen service

Edited by justin

That's strange! Seems like it would be in their interest to approve everything for pressing or at least give you a choice. They would rather have the business than not. From my experience with the ccs prescreening they only recommend not simply reject and return. I think providing details for every pre screen would be too time consuming for them make TATs longer. 

Did you inquire further as to why?

Edited by MGsimba77

2 hours ago, justin said:

if they believe that the book would get damaged from a press then, yes, I would listen to that advice.

:gossip: that’s what they are trying to tell you.

either the book may get damaged or it would not improve with a press. Personally, I’d take their advice. Look for a better copy.

I mean, the pre-screen service is doing exactly what it’s supposed to do. They’ve determined that the book isn’t fit for the service.

it is a bummer they couldn’t provide details, though.

Reminds me of the guy that gets dumped and begs for 5he reasons why. In the end, what does it matter? 

13 minutes ago, newshane said:

:gossip: that’s what they are trying to tell you.

either the book may get damaged or it would not improve with a press. Personally, I’d take their advice. Look for a better copy.

You proved my point. if the “book may get damaged”, I wouldn’t get it pressed. But, if it was, as you said “would not improve with a press” then I would still get it pressed.... or at the very least move it to CGC for regrading which is what I ordered anyway (a press and regrade)

-As an aside, I am now worried that they won’t be sending me my book back in the condition I sent it to them. Do they de-slab a book before the prescreen? It was a Signature Series book

Edited by justin

19 minutes ago, justin said:

You proved my point. if the “book may get damaged”, I wouldn’t get it pressed. But, if it was, as you said “would not improve with a press” then I would still get it pressed.... or at the very least move it to CGC for regrading which is what I ordered anyway (a press and regrade)

-As an aside, I am now worried that they won’t be sending me my book back in the condition I sent it to them. Do they de-slab a book before the prescreen? It was a Signature Series book

Why? 

I'm just trying to understand the logic. 

May I ask the name of the book? 

I've never purchased a pre-screen, so I can offer nothing but speculation n regards to your final concern. 

Because I want to believe that there could still be a small chance that the book will actually improve just a tiny bit as to cause a grade bump. That is a risk I was willing to take.

15 minutes ago, justin said:

Because I want to believe that there could still be a small chance that the book will actually improve just a tiny bit as to cause a grade bump. That is a risk I was willing to take.

Then why pay for the pre-screen? 

I would have simply used that money to get the book pressed. The point of the pre-screen is to remove the risk that the buyer faces without it. 

9 minutes ago, justin said:

Because everyone says getting the prescreen is like insurance in case something goes wrong in the pressing

So, let me get this straight..

you want them to press the book after they've determined that it would be detrimental to the health of the book...then you expect them to pay for replacing your book after they damage it, simply because you paid five or ten bucks for the pre-screen? 

in other words, what makes you think they would cover any damage after they've warned you that the damage would occur? 

42 minutes ago, newshane said:

So, let me get this straight..

you want them to press the book after they've determined that it would be detrimental to the health of the book...then you expect them to pay for replacing your book after they damage it, simply because you paid five or ten bucks for the pre-screen? 

You got it wrong.

They never told me it would be detrimental to the book. All they did was reject it with no reason. I want a reason.

if they tell me it would be detrimental to the book, I would NOT press it. But I would have them pass it next door to be regraded.

if they tell me it would make no difference if I press or not, I will still press.

Edited by justin

11 minutes ago, newshane said:

in other words, what makes you think they would cover any damage after they've warned you that the damage would occur? 

They did not say damage would occur. You are assuming that is why they rejected it. They just outright rejected it with no explanation.

Other boardies have expressed that after clearing a prescreen, the following press resulted in damage and CCS compensated them for the book.

27 minutes ago, justin said:

They did not say damage would occur. You are assuming that is why they rejected it. They just outright rejected it with no explanation.

Other boardies have expressed that after clearing a prescreen, the following press resulted in damage and CCS compensated them for the book.

Well, good luck! 

Considering it was a 9.4 modern its doubtful the rejection was related to risk of damage. If the OP ordered a regrade they should have given the option how to proceed incase he still wants to regarde. Doesn't make sense to just send it back so seems the OP has a legitimate gripe in that regard. It's not about being angry at rejection.  He's spent money on shipping without being given the option on one of the services he ordered. Personally I would've sent it to Joey to press/transfer. He's more thorough with the pressing anyway plus much cheaper. Screw ccs with their (we decide for you) policy. 

I've ordered ccs prescreening 2 or 3 times years ago before knowing of other options. I did it for the same peace of mind the OP indicated. If I remember correctly they emailed to notify the approval for pressing. I believe they don't bother notifying anymore if pressing is approved they just go ahead with it.

To answer the OPs question ccs returns any certified books in their holders. Only cracked out if pressing is performed.