• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Murphy Anderson Pedigree Collection

21 posts in this topic

Hi, I've read CGC's description of the Murphy Anderson Pedigree Collection but I was wondering if anybody may know more details about it. I remember when many of these hit the blocks last year on Heritage and Comiclink and there were quite a few real nice ones that are on my list but I didn't get any. :(   Got outbid on Witching Hour 4 and a Dark Mansion of Forbidden Love 2 and a few others I passed on but should have bid.

But there are still some for sale and popping up. Seems like its a pretty darn nice collection.

So any more details such as the oldest to newest, how many are there, are there only one of each, and how did they come to be graded in what seems to be early 2019? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks

Edited by Professor Chaos

53 minutes ago, Phicks said:

Murphy Anderson was a 50s and 60s DC artist.  So he would not have bought the comics off the stand.  He would have just brought them home free from work.

Yes. Even that brings to mind a thought. The term File Copy. I wonder if he was just keeping them as a collector of sorts or if there was a job related reason he kept them. Just curious as to why he kept these until his passing in 2015. Most are at least 8.0 and even 9.4, 9.6's  so he must have had them stored untouched the whole time. Age alone can mess up a book if their not stored well.

This is a joke. It looks like CGC just designated this a Pedigree because the books were going on Heritage. $$$. They even say “File” on label. It kind of looks like a cross between Stan Lee File Copies and Don Rosa Collection books neither of which CGC designated as Pedigrees. The Lee file copies were not in the greatest shape but probably had more important keys as most Rosa’s I’ve seen were high grade bronze. The earlier Anderson book keys are absolute dogs in terms of condition. The Bronze books are much nicer but these books should never have been given an actual Pedigree label. It’s border line insulting.

They’ve actually removed Pedigree designations in the past i.e. Diamond Run. 

I mean come on these keys are not in great shape because...they are not a true Pedigree. They should have been noted as Murphy Anderson File copies and given a blue label.

C56940AF-DF79-4ADD-A29B-76059F424E50.png

15E73442-5BBB-40F3-864D-CD4459A83C2E.png

F99C0F05-19DB-45E5-97E8-A34941C895E2.png

4BA24428-51A7-4109-A124-367D7D0A3D88.png

FEADD585-F1E4-478D-B9DC-997CE363BB7D.png

33 minutes ago, Mephisto said:

This is a joke. It looks like CGC just designated this a Pedigree because the books were going on Heritage. $$$. They even say “File” on label. It kind of looks like a cross between Stan Lee File Copies and Don Rosa Collection books neither of which CGC designated as Pedigrees. The Lee file copies were not in the greatest shape but probably had more important keys as most Rosa’s I’ve seen were high grade bronze. The earlier Anderson book keys are absolute dogs in terms of condition. The Bronze books are much nicer but these books should never have been given an actual Pedigree label. It’s border line insulting.

I mean come on these keys are not in great shape because...they are not a true Pedigree. They should have been noted as Murphy Anderson File copies and given a blue label.

C56940AF-DF79-4ADD-A29B-76059F424E50.png

15E73442-5BBB-40F3-864D-CD4459A83C2E.png

F99C0F05-19DB-45E5-97E8-A34941C895E2.png

FEADD585-F1E4-478D-B9DC-997CE363BB7D.png

Yeah the Showcase and  JLA's are no bueno. 

14 hours ago, Phicks said:

Murphy Anderson was a 50s and 60s DC artist.  So he would not have bought the comics off the stand.  He would have just brought them home free from work.

Anderson actually started in the 40s.  Below is a book I have that is one of his earliest works as penciller according to GCD. 

It did surprise me when I received the news release last year as it does contradict their definition of a pedigree.  The notation does say "Murphy Anderson File Copy" but it is on a pedigree label.  

Interestingly, there were one or two peds that CGC recognized early on and now do not like Toledo and I thought one other.  

0503191331001.jpg

7 hours ago, telerites said:

Anderson actually started in the 40s.  Below is a book I have that is one of his earliest works as penciller according to GCD. 

It did surprise me when I received the news release last year as it does contradict their definition of a pedigree.  The notation does say "Murphy Anderson File Copy" but it is on a pedigree label.  

Interestingly, there were one or two peds that CGC recognized early on and now do not like Toledo and I thought one other.  

Circle 8 is another pedigree name that CGC stopped recognizing...

I purchased some of the Murphy Anderson Sugar and Spike books last year on Heritage (and condition is amazing), but I certainly agree that they should be labelled "File Copy" or "From the Collection Of..." with blue labels.  

21 hours ago, Mephisto said:

This is incorrect. It keeps coming up on these boards every so often and the designation has never changed. The Don Rosa books are currently and always have been a Pedigree. The confusion, I assume, comes from the title being "Don Rosa Collection", but they are a Pedigree.

2 hours ago, mlansdown said:

Circle 8 is another pedigree name that CGC stopped recognizing...

I had heard the same thing a while back but it still shows up as a recognized Ped on their site, so either they changed back to recognizing it or it was more forum misinformation, which never happens here :insane:

1 minute ago, Always Pub Time said:

I seem to remember the designation changing. Green does too? (shrug)

"Was only considered a collection at first which is why older slabbed (pre2004 iirc) Don rosas have the notation above the PQ. It is my understanding someone from CGC went and viewed the SA/GA at Dons house (its apparantly a MASSIVE collection) since only the bronze and forward books have been sold so far. At that time it was deemed a true pedigree."

I don't remember a time when CGC stopped recognizing it. I do remember at least two threads where people were stating such but it was debunked when people checked the Ped page on CGC. I think it's one of those forum myths that makes the rounds, like how there are just hundreds and hundreds of super high grade collections just sitting around waiting to be discovered. You know, someone knows a guy that knows a guy that collected or was dealer 60 years ago type stuff. 

1 hour ago, LordRahl said:

This is incorrect. It keeps coming up on these boards every so often and the designation has never changed. The Don Rosa books are currently and always have been a Pedigree. The confusion, I assume, comes from the title being "Don Rosa Collection", but they are a Pedigree.

Sorry. I think some of the confusion with Don Rosa books may also have to do with the fact that the books were always a point of contention on the boards going back 15 years. There were many on the boards that felt the books should get a collection designation and not pedigree. See the below thread to see what a hot button topic it was.

4 hours ago, goodrockrich said:

It is interesting how CGC has become the keeper of the pedigree designation.

On 4/14/2020 at 6:32 PM, Mephisto said:

This is a joke. It looks like CGC just designated this a Pedigree because the books were going on Heritage. $$$.

23 hours ago, Professor Chaos said:

I agree with that. File Copy or Murphy Anderson Collection but not Pedigree status.

:news:  I hate to break the bad news to you guys here, but when it comes to CCG, it is a business after all, and as such it really is all about the money in terms of the top line and the bottom line.  :gossip:

You have to remember the Murphy Anderson Pedigree was launched at the same time as 4 other pedigrees and was done to promote CGC's brand spanking new pedigree label at the time.  If you think the Murphy Anerson books were truly not pedigree worthy, you should have seen some of the other ones that they also decided to designate as pedigrees at the same time.  :p

All I'll say is that those collections were of rather a very large size and no doubt CGC should get a whole ton of money to keep the boys at CCG happy by having collectors turn in mid-grade books by the thousands so that they can sit in those brand spanking new slabs with the nicely colored pedigree label.  :flipbait:   :censored:

Maybe this is a non-issue, but the thought crossed my mind as people were discussing CGC and their ability to designate what is a pedigree etc.

It made me wonder if any of the other grading companies have a similar labelling of pedigrees that CGC also has or if they are not really used that way. Like I would assume there might be a handful of Church/Mile High (or some other well known ones) pedigree books that have at some point ended up at one of the other companies.

Also-- do those other companies have a listing of what they consider pedigrees? Who is the ultimate source of establishing getting to a pedigree designation?

Not that I care too much what the other grading companies do-- but that would be seemingly a sort of verification. And in that light-- do the others consider the Don Rosa or Murphy Andersen as defined pedigrees?