• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What condition for a casual reader copy?
1 1

33 posts in this topic

My 10-year old son is a huge Stranger Things fan, and his birthday is coming up in a few weeks.

I'm trying to encourage him to collect...something (I'm a lifelong coin collector).

So I just got him the first book I've purchased in 30 years: Xmen #134 CGC 9.6 Newsstand (Did I say that right? Was it a good purchase at ~$130? Good idea/bad idea for the newsstand version?) 

Anyway, I'd also like to get him a copy of said issue so he can have one to read in addition to the slabbed copy.

What grade would be the lowest you'd want or suggest as a copy to read? Best source for a copy?

Edited by Weiss

Welcome to the boards! 

As far as the 134 9.6 value goes, it seems that $130 is about current FMV. 

I think condition for a reader copy is sorta up to the reader.  Anywhere from a Good to Very Good (2.0-4.0) would be my reader range.  

As far as sourcing a copy goes, I’d say your local comic store, but it’s probably closed for the time being.  Where did you purchase the 134 9.6?  eBay?  You could try mycomicshop.com.  

$130 is a little high for that right now during pandemic pricing (indeed I saw one auction go for $66 and it had a couple of other books too, although $66 seems like an anomoly), but I can understand not wanting to get in on auctions, etc. if he has a pristine one in a slab you might as well get the cheapest reader you can that is not falling apart. 2.0 - 4.0. i hate buying a book like that on ebay though, but it's not like we have conventions to go to nowadays. the problem with ebay is you probably spend $9-$14 after shipping and tax, whereas you can probably buy a low grade copy of that book in a lot of $5 boxes at shows or even some shops.

1 hour ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Welcome to the boards! 

Where did you purchase the 134 9.6?  eBay?  You could try mycomicshop.com.  

Thanks. Yep, it's the most recent close on eBay. Made an offer to the seller. 

1 hour ago, Weiss said:

Thoughts about the newsstand version? No difference? Seems like a more rare (or even perceived more rare) version would hold its value better over the long haul.

A late 70s newstand is not rarer. It is more common. Now it might be rarer as a 9.6 as the newsies were handled a bit rougher. It drives me nuts that sellers tout "rare" 70s and erly/mid 80s newsstands as rare.

2 hours ago, the blob said:

A late 70s newstand is not rarer. It is more common. Now it might be rarer as a 9.6 as the newsies were handled a bit rougher. It drives me nuts that sellers tout "rare" 70s and erly/mid 80s newsstands as rare.

June 1980? 

Thanks, everyone. I wasn't aware that digital was even an option.

But since he can't really touch the slabbed book, I'd like to get him a tangible copy he can have in his hands and turn pages with. 

I'll look for a lower grade copy (4-ish).

7 hours ago, Weiss said:

June 1980? 

june 1980 really no different. more comics were being printed for newsstands then than comic shops. how many of the unsold copies got returned (or kept mile high style), I dunno, but X-Men 136 came out when byrne X-Men was super hot, so I am going to guess most newsies got bought up.

3 hours ago, DocHoppus182 said:

Me too.  Now if I could just convince my wallet. 

I got a package Monday with a GA archie in it. Picked up in my "outside" gloves and it has been sitting in quarantine corner for the covid19 to die before opening it up. I should probably wait until next Monday, right?

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I got a package Monday with a GA archie in it. Picked up in my "outside" gloves and it has been sitting in quarantine corner for the covid19 to die before opening it up. I should probably wait until next Monday, right?

I have a friend that’s been receiving comics in the mail this entire time.  He sprays the box down outside, let’s it sit for a few minutes, then opens it.  He wipes down the Mylar/CGC case also.