• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for Advice on Submitting some Silver Age Books
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I have a handful of historically significant silver age Fantastic Four books. Some were a family member's who purchased them new in the 60's. Others I purchased at comic book shows in the 80s when I was actively collecting. I do plan on selling them eventually (fingers crossed that Marvel eventually puts together a good FF film). :)

Below are the books that I have and their general condition. I'd appreciate some advice on if these would be worth getting graded and, if so, some help with prioritizing them. I've never been through the process before.

FF #6 - Marvel's first villain team-up (Doom & Namor). This one is in the worst shape. Although it is completely intact and readable. The cover near the spine is faded a bit.

FF #15 - Similar condition to #6. Maybe slightly better. It doesn't have as much cover fading; but, the spine is slightly rolled.

FF #10 (Spanish language version) - This one was purchased in a mylar sleeve and has been kept that way. It is in much better shape than the previous two. I just bought it because it was in good shape for an old book and, at the time, I liked the Spanish cover (Los 4 Fantasticos...LOL).

FF # 48-50 - The first appearance of Galactus and the Silver Surfer. My uneducated grade from 1-10 on these would be around a 5, or so, for #48 & #49. #50 is in better shape than the other two and has always been in a mylar sleeve. I would give it at least a 7. Maybe slightly higher. Again, these are my uneducated grades...not to be confused with official grades.

FF #52 - The first appearance of Black Panther. It is in similar shape as #48 & #49. Probably around a 5, or so.

All of them have been kept in regular bags and boards (except the two in mylar) since sometime in the 80s. Besides having them graded, I like the idea of preventing any further degradation. I can add pics if that would help. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I mean, do you enjoy reading them? If so, no need to get them CGC graded. You can store in proper bag and board (or two) in proper cool, dry and dark location and this will keep them just as well as a CGC case. The CGC case is not airtight or waterproof. It also does not protect from sunlight. All it would help against is handling which, unless you are touching the same book every day, you are unlikely to damage it further (unless you try to read it with greasy fingers after eating chicken wings).

If you are grading because you like the way cases display, and you can grab em from a box quick, show a friend and stuff em back in, go for it. If you also want to get a more guaranteed value for them, have them graded. Everything you have listed would likely benefit from grading versus selling raw, especially the FF 48-50 and 52. The earlier issues even though rough, would still likely be worth spending the money to grade.

The only one I personally would not grade is the Spanish issue. Its more a personal thing as I am not a huge fan of foreign copies or reprints. They are neat but can be a tough sell with the exception of a few titles and a few issues. This isn't one I would say has huge following of people looking for it. 

44 minutes ago, comicginger1789 said:

I mean, do you enjoy reading them? If so, no need to get them CGC graded. You can store in proper bag and board (or two) in proper cool, dry and dark location and this will keep them just as well as a CGC case. The CGC case is not airtight or waterproof. It also does not protect from sunlight. All it would help against is handling which, unless you are touching the same book every day, you are unlikely to damage it further (unless you try to read it with greasy fingers after eating chicken wings).

If you are grading because you like the way cases display, and you can grab em from a box quick, show a friend and stuff em back in, go for it. If you also want to get a more guaranteed value for them, have them graded. Everything you have listed would likely benefit from grading versus selling raw, especially the FF 48-50 and 52. The earlier issues even though rough, would still likely be worth spending the money to grade.

The only one I personally would not grade is the Spanish issue. Its more a personal thing as I am not a huge fan of foreign copies or reprints. They are neat but can be a tough sell with the exception of a few titles and a few issues. This isn't one I would say has huge following of people looking for it. 

Thanks for the reply. I haven't read them in years and was already leaning toward having them all graded. I know that #52 had quite the spike in value after the BP film came out. Since I missed that peak, I'm hoping for the same thing to happen after the eventual sequel. I'm also looking forward to Marvel eventually announcing their turn at an FF film. I'd like to have all of these all good-to-go and ready for when I do pull the trigger.

Here's the #50. Thanks again!

IMG_9746[1].JPG

19 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

Worth it.  Pics are always helpful... 

I posted #50 above. Here are the others...

IMG_9747[1].JPG

IMG_9748.JPG

IMG_9749.JPG

IMG_9750.JPG

IMG_9751.JPG

IMG_9752.thumb.JPG.d7faf1687df95465c3ca0b96d15e6a6d.JPG

Edited by jrmutley
Replaced image with properly rotated one.

^True, you want to check all the pages, make sure they are there, no cutouts and also back photos help too, especially if you want some more in depth feedback on some grades. You can post in the Hey Buddy Can Ya Spare A Grade Forum too :)

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

4 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

^True, you want to check all the pages, make sure they are there, no cutouts and also back photos help too, especially if you want some more in depth feedback on some grades. You can post in the Hey Buddy Can Ya Spare A Grade Forum too :)

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/42-hey-buddy-can-you-spare-a-grade/

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably do that!

On 4/20/2020 at 2:03 PM, oldrover said:

If you're done reading them, then by all means slab them. Those are nice books, and slabbing will seal in their value. :)

On 4/20/2020 at 8:20 PM, Stefan_W said:

The 48 looks like the money book in this bunch, although the 52 could get a decent price as well. 

Thanks for the additional comments, fellas. For now, I'm looking at doing 48, 50, & 52. I'll probably do the others at a later date.