• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Covid Quarantine Contest (CQC)
1 1

75 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, Bkd Reader said:

And @valiantman with the quick victory at 6:41PM ET. The answer is 99 hydra agents, I will let Valiantman explain:  'If there are 98 (or fewer) Hydra agents, there is a chance, however small, that you could select two agents at random and have zero Hydra agents'. I would love to take credit for this question but it actually comes from the wonderful statistics based website Fivethirtyeight.com (their version involved 100 crooked politicians). Well done Sir!

external-content.duckduckgo_com.jpg.e65963406fef30104a68d988f8829408.jpg

And since that was answered so quickly, I will post another question within the hour.

99 was my initial thought, but the phrase "Some of them are honest SHIELD agents" would seem to imply that there is more than 1 honest SHIELD agent in the group.  Is that how the original riddle is phrased?   Not trying to be negative, I'm genuinely curious.  Thanks!

13 hours ago, comicginger1789 said:

As for this new question, my knowledge of DD is what I have seen in Stranger Things. No more, no less so...... yeahhhh.....

I did watch the D&D cartoons when I was a kid, but otherwise... yeah, Stranger Things is the only info I could add to that.

I see the phrase "short stories" and the year "1928" and I automatically think "Cthulhu" --- so I wasted my guess.  Don't guess Cthulhu!  (But 99% of the time "short stories" + "1928" = "Cthulhu") :insane:

3 hours ago, lightninglad said:

99 was my initial thought, but the phrase "Some of them are honest SHIELD agents" would seem to imply that there is more than 1 honest SHIELD agent in the group.  Is that how the original riddle is phrased?   Not trying to be negative, I'm genuinely curious.  Thanks!

From Fivethiryeight: 'In a legislature, there are 100 politicians. Each is either honest or crooked; some of the legislature is honest, and some of it is crooked. However, if you choose any two politicians at random, at least one is crooked. How many honest politicians are there?' --

You are correct, should have phrased it 'each' instead of 'some'. For being correct, and because it seems as though

Darth.jpg.823887ccf0476868ddb4d672123040eb.jpg

I will hook you up with the IP prize. I should probably stop trying to juggle this and Zoom meetings at the same time.

2 hours ago, valiantman said:

I did watch the D&D cartoons when I was a kid, but otherwise... yeah, Stranger Things is the only info I could add to that.

I see the phrase "short stories" and the year "1928" and I automatically think "Cthulhu" --- so I wasted my guess.  Don't guess Cthulhu!  (But 99% of the time "short stories" + "1928" = "Cthulhu") :insane:

I never did see the D&D cartoons. I started playing in college and have played on and off since. Cthulhu was a great guess, just a little OP for a 3rd level Druid, and anything Lovecraft is great.

With that - Question 4 coming soon. Question 3 will remain open until the thread closes or until someone guesses correctly.

5 minutes ago, Bkd Reader said:
3 hours ago, lightninglad said:

From Fivethiryeight: 'In a legislature, there are 100 politicians. Each is either honest or crooked; some of the legislature is honest, and some of it is crooked. However, if you choose any two politicians at random, at least one is crooked. How many honest politicians are there?' --

You are correct, should have phrased it 'each' instead of 'some'. For being correct, and because it seems as though

I will hook you up with the IP prize. I should probably stop trying to juggle this and Zoom meetings at the same time.

I don't think you made any mistakes.  The original FiveThirtyEight quote was "some of the legislature is honest, and some of it is crooked" - so their answer of 99 crooked means there was only 1 honest and they said "some" for just 1 (or none, which is also correct).

18 minutes ago, valiantman said:

I don't think you made any mistakes.  The original FiveThirtyEight quote was "some of the legislature is honest, and some of it is crooked" - so their answer of 99 crooked means there was only 1 honest and they said "some" for just 1 (or none, which is also correct).

Yep, it looks as though they posted the same riddle twice, I cribbed off the first one originally and then pulled up the second one just now. Still, it's a pretty valid point, 'some' does generally tend to be assumed as more than one, so I will honor the prize. Heck, I'm just happy to have some chatter in here.

So @valiantman narrowly took the win at 1:17PM ET (confirmed time via email and board PM). My avatar is from Doctor Who, specifically the Tenth Doctor played by David Tennant. If you're not a Who fan, I highly suggest picking it up. It is fun and watching a line of outstanding actors/actresses have different takes on the same character and the comics are long running and well done.

Just now, Bkd Reader said:

So @valiantman narrowly took the win at 1:17PM ET (confirmed time via email and board PM). My avatar is from Doctor Who, specifically the Tenth Doctor played by David Tennant. If you're not a Who fan, I highly suggest picking it up. It is fun and watching a line of outstanding actors/actresses have different takes on the same character and the comics are long running and well done.

Saving you lots of money on prize shipping! :acclaim:

hm

"narrowly" you say... there's competition!?! :whatthe:

1 minute ago, valiantman said:

Saving you lots of money on prize shipping! :acclaim:

hm

"narrowly" you say... there's competition!?! :whatthe:

Yes, you are, thanks for that. Yep, not much but some, I have been getting between 3-5 responses per question.

UPDATE: So good news and bad news: The good news is it looks like I will be going back to work full-time as early as next week; the bad news is it looks like I will be going back to work as early as next week. I had plans to do 10-12 questions in total and stretch it out until the end of April, which was supposed to be when I returned to work. I have the next 6 questions planned out with prizes, so we are going to accelerate the timeline a bit. I will do 2 questions a day through the weekend (including today) and 3 on Sunday, with the last question Sunday night being a scavenger hunt. I will leave the thread open for a while after that if there are any unanswered questions so that late-comers can take a shot. I will ship everything out to the winners early next week.

That being said, I will post the next question this evening about 6PM ET. The prize will be a couple DC Black Label books (actually, the next 2 prizes are a pair of DC Black Label books).

Finally, there is a chance, thanks to the kindness of @valiantman, that the second place response will also get a prize, so keep guessing!

Edited by Bkd Reader
Shipping info

Question 5: Somewhere on the boards here I mentioned 2 people I would like to see create a comic together. One is a musician and comic creator; the other is an artist who does album covers and comics. Which two people did I think would make a great comic together? (I actually mentioned 2 pairs in that particular thread; I am specifically seeking the pair that matches the above criteria) Prize: Joker: Killer Smile and Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity (IP $15) - Won by Valiantman

735871178_jokerharley.thumb.jpg.8a6dcbd9ed90fdf87c6e8c25ccc9b12f.jpg

Edited by Bkd Reader

6 hours ago, Bkd Reader said:

I don’t think you made a mistake, I was just curious. I’m not worried about a prize but thanks for the offer.

While I was out playing tennis, @valiantman again clocked a fairly narrow win, at 9:36PM ET. The answer was Corey Taylor of the bands Slipknot and Stone Sour, who also put out a comic book series to go with Stone Sour's album of the same name, House of Gold and Bones. Greg Capullo obviously needs no introduction on these boards but less known is that he worked on the album covers of rock greats like Disturbed and Korn, among others. I still hold out hope that Taylor and Capullo will collaborate on something. Well done!

335964946_anotherwin.jpg.d4e76d26745fde9e1c6ecb0c8c687ac8.jpg

Question 6 tomorrow before Noon ET.

Question 6: A popular fantasy writer, who was once interviewed by Neil Gaiman, created a book series with a new planet, and on this planet; there is a river so thick it can be slowly strolled across, an orangutan runs a library, and Death had an apprentice for a while. The author also uses a myriad of hilarious footnotes throughout his stories. In the books, what is the name of the city the above-mentioned river runs through? (Prize: The Dollhouse Family #1, and A Basketful of Heads #1, both are Joe Hill DC Black Label) (IP $8) - Won by Comicginger1789.

495107185_JoeHill.thumb.jpg.5b5e67185c939710d19abfa5e861a892.jpg

Edited by Bkd Reader

And we have a quick winner, clocking in at 12:25PM ET, @comicginger1789. Congrats! The answer is the city of Ankh-Morpork on Discworld, which flies through space on the back of 4 elephants riding on a giant turtle. The books are by Terry Pratchett, a wonderful author who also wrote Good Omens with Neil Gaiman. The Discworld series has 41 novels (though I always wished for 42 just for the Douglas Adams parallels). If you ever have a chance (and that chance would probably be now given the current state of things), I highly recommending picking up one of his books. You will laugh, a lot.

good-job-congratulations-meme.jpg.06f496881f3f70aa4e5352f13ee5cc82.jpg

Question 7 coming around 8PM ET.

I imagine this will go quickly:

Question 7: T2119323663_starwarskidsstuff.thumb.jpg.6ffc627f30c440f849687c2b73405ffc.jpghis popular font is based on Dave Gibbons’ lettering in Watchmen. What is the font? (Prize: Star Wars kids stuff) (IP $8) Won by Littledoom.

Edited by Bkd Reader