• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Putting 1st appearance on a label

11 posts in this topic

I have been looking at several books currently slabbed in CGC cases but they do not note the character(s) 1st appearance, cameo, or full. I want to send in books but I want to see about having it added to the label for the character. I have seen a lot of media speak about a characters 1st appearance is in X issue but there seems to not be any notes on the slab like a typical Marvel or DC comics book.

How is this decided or is there a way to get it added in the database?

• Administrator

Good morning,

Thanks for your message. First appearance label notations are made at the discretion of the CGC Grading Team. You can find this information by visiting the CGC Census which will include the Key Comments, Art Comments, and First Appearance notations.

If you would like to request a first appearance update or inclusion to the current label, please include a note along with the book in your submission (post-it on comic bag).

Thanks!

On 4/29/2020 at 9:17 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks for your message. First appearance label notations are made at the discretion of the CGC Grading Team. You can find this information by visiting the CGC Census which will include the Key Comments, Art Comments, and First Appearance notations.

If you would like to request a first appearance update or inclusion to the current label, please include a note along with the book in your submission (post-it on comic bag).

Thanks!

Hi Jennifer

Do you mean to send a slab in to have it be reholdered? Or do you mean on the raw book when you send it?

Is there no forum thread to request these items?

Thanks!

• Administrator

Good morning,

You can notate that on either a raw book you are first sending in for grading, or if you have one that is holdered and you wanted it reholdered with that information on the label you can notate it with the holdered book.  Again, this is noted at our graders' discretion and just requesting that first appearance designation does not necessarily mean that the graders will automatically put it on the label if they do not feel it is warranted or something that should be noted.  

Thanks!

On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2020 at 9:22 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

You can notate that on either a raw book you are first sending in for grading, or if you have one that is holdered and you wanted it reholdered with that information on the label you can notate it with the holdered book.  Again, this is noted at our graders' discretion and just requesting that first appearance designation does not necessarily mean that the graders will automatically put it on the label if they do not feel it is warranted or something that should be noted.  

Thanks!

Thank you Jennifer

I think Star wars books do not get a lot of love for 1st appearances. Even if the character has never showed up in any other media. I feel with Disney owning the star wars rights now is the time for collectors to see the 1st appearance of these characters on the label. It gives them a definitive notation of what that characters 1st appearance is. I have a lot of star wars book to send in and I will put as much information to get the labels updated.

Thank you

On 5/5/2020 at 8:10 AM, GLCBrad said:

Hi Jennifer

Do you mean to send a slab in to have it be reholdered? Or do you mean on the raw book when you send it?

Is there no forum thread to request these items?

Thanks!

There is no dedicated forum for this. It is completely up to the Graders. I've had no luck with the "put a note on the book" option. Best thing to do is check the census, and bring it up in the forums. Then wait until you see the census change to the keynote and show the 1st appearance. Then send in your comic for grading.

They would be flooded with requests if it were left open to a forum. But I agree there needs to be a better way for us to get some of the newer modern books to show the keynotes and first appearances that they deserve. 

I just got a Kanan: The Last Padawan #6 and TMNT #101 graded. Both had a note for the first appearances, both got no keynote. 

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 7:49 PM, Justifidied said:

There is no dedicated forum for this. It is completely up to the Graders. I've had no luck with the "put a note on the book" option. Best thing to do is check the census, and bring it up in the forums. Then wait until you see the census change to the keynote and show the 1st appearance. Then send in your comic for grading.

They would be flooded with requests if it were left open to a forum. But I agree there needs to be a better way for us to get some of the newer modern books to show the keynotes and first appearances that they deserve. 

I just got a Kanan: The Last Padawan #6 and TMNT #101 graded. Both had a note for the first appearances, both got no keynote. 

Hey Justifidied I do not want to fight with you on this but if you are looking for 1st appearance of Ezra and Sabine. Its issue 1. Its already noted on the cgc label. Not only that but all the characters appear together again in issue 5 as well. Issue 6 is not their 1st appearance. Don't let those online youtubers tell you otherwise. I should know I have 20 copies of Kanan 1. Kanan 6 is just a good cover with her on it.

I'm not one to fight over a first appearance. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. My understanding from what I've read in the comics was that Sabine had her cameo in issue #1. So now I'm confused, as usual, as to what constitutes a cameo vs. a first appearance. But I also don't remember seeing her in issue #5.

Which is always the case. 

Thanks for that. I also agree with you that the Star Wars comics don't get nearly enough love from the graders.

On 5/6/2020 at 9:22 AM, Jennifer F. said:

Good morning,

Thanks!

Hi Jennifer

I sent in an invoice and did not make note of 1st appearances. Who can i email with my invoice and information on the books to see if we can get the 1st appearance added to labels?

2 hours ago, Will78 said:
On ‎5‎/‎28‎/‎2020 at 11:16 AM, Justifidied said:

I'm not one to fight over a first appearance. If I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. My understanding from what I've read in the comics was that Sabine had her cameo in issue #1. So now I'm confused, as usual, as to what constitutes a cameo vs. a first appearance. But I also don't remember seeing her in issue #5.

Which is always the case. 

Thanks for that. I also agree with you that the Star Wars comics don't get nearly enough love from the graders.

This is a great example of why I'm glad there's no forum for this. All there would be is arguing back and forth. Also, most "notation requesters" aren't asking for the good of the hobby, they're asking for personal reasons which no one cares about or greed. What a headache for the Moderators :facepalm:

people have and will always disagree with 1st app and cameo definitions (especially since they're super inconsistent AF), and in some cases how many cameos happen before a 1st app.  And I don't mean this as a dig towards CGC, its confusing for everyone.