• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I get this pressed?
2 2

5 posts in this topic

Hey All, 

I recently picked up a copy of ASM 238. The book is already graded at a 5.5. The only real flaw with the book is a large subscription crease running down the middle. 

Grader notes say : Crease full center of front cover- breaks color, crease left top of back cover, spine stress lines. 

I am wondering if the book should be pressed and re-graded, to try and get the crease out. Does anyone have any insight into this? Any idea if the crease would come out with pressing, or is it something that cant be fixed? 

Thanks in advance!

IMG_5348.jpg

IMG_5349.jpg

IMG_5350.jpg

25 minutes ago, CarlNicholson said:

Hey All, 

I recently picked up a copy of ASM 238. The book is already graded at a 5.5. The only real flaw with the book is a large subscription crease running down the middle. 

Grader notes say : Crease full center of front cover- breaks color, crease left top of back cover, spine stress lines. 

I am wondering if the book should be pressed and re-graded, to try and get the crease out. Does anyone have any insight into this? Any idea if the crease would come out with pressing, or is it something that cant be fixed? 

Thanks in advance!

No.

Pressing will likely get the crease itself out (paper now flat), but the color break will stay as a white line, as you see it now.  It will cost you about $40 to find out if that helps the grade (press, grade, shipping) - so you have to decide if the gamble is worth it. 

First thing to consider is the grade you now have, if you are happy with it as is.  It could also come back LOWER just due to randomness.

The answer is no.  Early on when I was uninformed, I sent an Incredible Hulk 271 in for pressing/slabbing.  Well, apparently it had a readers crease and the highest grade I got was a 7.0.  For the life of me I still have no idea what they're talking about, because the book looks immaculate.  Yours has a color break which must mean even with a press, it's still going to have a white line which will negatively impact the grade.